Quantcast
Home Security System - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Home Security System

My Ride
    FX35

Default Home Security System

What kind of Home Security System does you use? how much are you paying per month, how much much was your installation cost?

My Ride

Default Re: Home Security System

Originally posted by GSR2700 ISX
    What kind of Home Security System does you use? how much are you paying per month, how much much was your installation cost?
    Be cautious of those $99 specials. Security companies typically make their money off of your monthly monitoring contract. A good security system will cost anywhere from $2500 and up depending on the size of the house and if it's a home being built or a home that's already complete.

I personally think anything that costs you less than $1 per square foot (if it's a new construction) is a waste of time because odds are it won't do shit if there is someone that wants to get specifically into your house. If it's an existing home you will most likely have to fish some wires along with using some wireless items. That would bring your price up to closer to $2 per square foot or more depending on how secure you really want to be.

I design automation systems, a lot of the time clients will get their security through us as well. Our systems can be monitored by pretty much anyone, we can recommend someone that we've used in the past or it's your choice to get the system monitored through anyone you like.

Please what ever you do just don't sign up for one of those $99 specials where you have a 3 year monitoring contract.

Personally I like the G.E. security equipment, it is easy to integrate with automation or lighting systems and for the most part their products are rock solid.
    Click here to check out my racing sim...

Originally posted by GQBalla
    tictactoe2004 you are scary

Well ADT came by my newly built and pre-wired house and offered the following:

$150 installation of 2 window break sensors on main floor, touch sensors on basement windows and fire detection on upper floor. Includes normal keypad. We have cats so no motion sensors.

$300 for a ballin' ass touchscreen pad in the bedroom.

$34 a month for monitoring.

So I pay $1,600 over 3 years for this stuff and you're telling me that I should pay almost twice as much?

Explain.

My Ride

Originally posted by Mibz
    Well ADT came by my newly built and pre-wired house and offered the following:

$150 installation of 2 window break sensors on main floor, touch sensors on basement windows and fire detection on upper floor. Includes normal keypad. We have cats so no motion sensors.

$300 for a ballin' ass touchscreen pad in the bedroom.

$34 a month for monitoring.

So I pay $1,600 over 3 years for this stuff and you're telling me that I should pay almost twice as much?

Explain.
    You have peace of mind and will have less of a chance of a random break in because of it... but if someone really wanted into your house I guarantee they could get in without the alarm going off.

I was shocked to find out that people who work for some of the larger security companies will actually get in trouble for selling too many sensors or security keypads because it raises the installation time and their job is to simple get as many monthly contracts as possible. They make their money off of monitoring and sell peace of mind but a security system for that price will do little from stopping someone who wants into your home for what ever reason.

My job is to sell and install a security system that keeps homes secure. I don't care who you get the system monitored through, which is where they make their money. You would be paying a lot more than double though, my prices do not include any monitoring, i'm just talking the required security components and installation.

A security system that is meant to really keep someone secure will have a GSM cell phone module and a UPS so that even if they cut off the phone lines or power (or even both) to your house the system still won't go down... the cost of that one module with installation is more than you paid for your entire system.

I'm not trying to sound like an asshole but in my opinion the security system you installed won't do squat if someone wants into your home. It will however offer peace of mind and the ADT sign that they probably left at your home will scare some of the kids/idiots away.

I normally deal with the high end to ultra high end market myself, we've even done legitimate panic rooms with doors that almost look like a bank vault door so my definition of a security system is different than the average joe.

Well we haven't signed anything yet, which is the entire reason I'm in this thread.

Thing is, I'm a normal guy in a normal house that drives normal cars. My house isn't flashy, it does nothing to advertise how much I make or what I have. So my question becomes, why would I worry about being targeted?

I completely understand spending a ton to seriously prevent break-ins if you're a high profile baller who practically invites them, but that's not me. So do I need more than peace of mind? I don't think so.

That said, I'm open to being convinced otherwise.

My Ride
    SRT4- TOYOTA VENZA- CIVIC SIR

i got ADT HOME SECURITY.. it's all wireless.. im paying $41.99/month and its worth it..
    3door sensors, 1 motion sensor, 1 fire sensor.. and if somebody cut my telephone wire adt will phone me right away on my cellphone or any of my family.
    63_TUNERS

Wireless security systems are the biggest joke including the whole GSM backup. For less then $200 you could build a jammer that would render then entire system useless. So if someone really wants in a flip of a switch on the jammer and a snip of the phone and power line, you have full access.

My Ride

Originally posted by Mibz
    That said, I'm open to being convinced otherwise.
    What we do is overkill for most people and I don't want to try to convince you to spend more if you don't think it will be worth your while. Just remember that if someone is doing a B&E they don't know if you have monitoring or not. If they do know what they're doing they will know what kind of alarm systems they can get past anyways. Out of all the money you're spending most of it is going towards monitoring, they're not giving you that great of a deal on the equipment all things considered. Just my opinion, obviously do what you think is best for you.

Originally posted by redsrt4
    i got ADT HOME SECURITY.. it's all wireless.. im paying $41.99/month and its worth it..
    3door sensors, 1 motion sensor, 1 fire sensor.. and if somebody cut my telephone wire adt will phone me right away on my cellphone or any of my family.
    It's very rare to see a quality install of a security system when it's done by the same company that does the monitoring. Like I said, they want the monthly contract, the higher they can make the monthly contract with minimal installation time, the better... for them, not you.

Originally posted by dr_jared88
    Wireless security systems are the biggest joke including the whole GSM backup. For less then $200 you could build a jammer that would render then entire system useless. So if someone really wants in a flip of a switch on the jammer and a snip of the phone and power line, you have full access.
    It's all about adding extra layers of protection. Usually there is CCTV, gates, motion sensors and so many other layers of protection that I highly doubt you could get into a properly secured house alone. Some systems have backup hard wired phone lines that come into a different demarcation point along with GSM backup systems and CCTV to both remote and local servers, panic rooms and so on. Even if you were able to stop the system from calling out that would set off a red flag, the alarm would still go off in the house and alart the home owners and neighbours.. You would have to pull off a stunt like they do in the movies. I can assure you that you would not have enough time to do anything major before authorities were at the home. Unless you're talking about jumping through a window to grab something that is unsecured and in open sight and out the window in 30 seconds, but regardless the only thing that would stop that is roll shutters, bars or just not having an window in that spot.

My Ride
    Vmax

United alarm less $ than ADT. I changed over from ADT, better service and less money. Added a plie of extras to my system for 150.00$ and a 36 month contract.

403 261 8838

I am a customer and have nothing to do with this company.

My Ride
    BMW E70

I have ADT in my house as well. I have 2 touch screen key pads, sensor contacts on all doors and all windows, 2 glass break sensors, 3 motion sensors, 4 smoke detectors, cellular back-up and carbon monoxide detector. I think it was around $2000 installed and I pay $46/mo.

My Ride
    changes every year

i had a guy that works for alberta alarms ltd trying to sell adt systems out to my house last night, i didnt go with anything because im weary about service and google has alot of complaints against them (adt) for their monitoring.

im looking for a decent monitoring price per month that actually does good monitoring with little to nothing down. hrd2plz who did you contact to get all of this stuff? adt themselves?

My Ride
    2011 Mustang GT

Tomaz's Security - Patent Pending

And..

Works everytime
    Beyond's Most Wanted

My Ride
    changes every year

i like to use standard kickurass security but it doesnt help when im not home and my wife and kid are home by themselves...

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

Brinks Home Security,
    $1000 dollars installed

Hard wired all windows/doors/garage/garage sensor/garage windows/doors/outside gates

APX Alarm System

$200 install

Garage Door, Front Door and Rear Door Sensor. Smoke detector, glass break and motion sensor. Basement has motion and the window open sensor too.

$50/month

Alarm system has backup power, two way calling and i can communicate via the panel directly. Panel has GSM technology for dial out so doesn't need to connect to a phone line. I can arm the system using a remote or using my cell phone. I can log into the webpage from virtually anywhere an arm/dis-arm my alarm.

Got the whole thing for FREE!!!

PM me if you want some info and documentation. I love the alarm system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

My Ride
    bmw

home alarms.like car alarms..are pretty well pointless...gives the owner sense of security, and that is all.

My Ride

Originally posted by 85regal
    home alarms.like car alarms..are pretty well pointless...gives the owner sense of security, and that is all.
    Go figure, AKA Security System. lol

Default Re: Home Security System

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 06-21-2019 at 06:14 PM.

My Ride
    BMW E70

Originally posted by 03ozwhip
    i had a guy that works for alberta alarms ltd trying to sell adt systems out to my house last night, i didnt go with anything because im weary about service and google has alot of complaints against them (adt) for their monitoring.

im looking for a decent monitoring price per month that actually does good monitoring with little to nothing down. hrd2plz who did you contact to get all of this stuff? adt themselves?
    My family has used ADT to monitor all of our properties for years now with no problems or issues whatsoever. My whole system was purchased and installed from ADT. My sales rep. was Cindy, I can't remember her last name, but she was great. I called and talked to some moron at the call centre and finally got the Calgary office number out of them. Called the Calgary office and said I wanted to speak to someone at my house so that we could go through and make suggestions for the home on site.

What do you guys think about alarmforce?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast