Quantcast
2005 Cobalt - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: 2005 Cobalt

My Ride
    383 Camaro LT1

Default 2005 Cobalt

The Cobalt is built on the same "Delta" platform as the Saturn Ion (but with a steel unitbody rather than a steel spaceframe with plastic body panels) and will offer the same base 2.2 litre "Ecotec" four cylinder engine in base, LS and LT trim levels. A new 2.4 litre four cylinder powerplant with variable valve timing will be offered in Cobalt SS sedans and coupes, and a new supercharged 2.0 litre four cylinder engine will be available in Coupe SS models - the same engine soon to be offered in the Saturn Ion Red Lin Quad Coupe.

The Cobalt will offer a standard 5-speed manual transmission, air conditioning, CD player, driver information centre, dual stage front airbags, and electric rear defogger. Options will include a four-speed automatic transmission, side curtain airbags, heated leather seats, power sunroof, MP3 playback and OnStar. Base and LS models will offer standard 15 inch tires and wheels, LT models will have 16 inch tires, SS models 17 inch, and SS Supercharged 18 inch tires and alloy wheels.

The Cobalt's standard "Ecotec" 2.2-litre engine offers 140 horsepower and 150 lb.-ft. of torque - the same as in the current Cavalier. A new "Ecotec" 2.4 litre four cylinder engine, with its larger displacement and new variable valve timing, produces 170 horsepower at 6000 rpm, and one of the highest torque ratings in its class: an estimated 170 pound feet at 4400 rpm.

Both the 2.2-litre and 2.4-litre engines feature aluminum block and cylinder heads, dual overhead camshafts, counter rotating balance shafts, roller finger follower valve lifters, chain driven camshafts, electronic throttle control, coil-on-plug ignition, GM Oil Life System and extended life spark plugs and coolant.

The 2.4 litre engine's new VVT system uses electronically controlled hydraulic camshaft phasers to alter the relationship of the intake and exhaust camshafts as much as 50 degrees relative to the crankshaft for improved performance and efficiency.

Transmission choices are a standard Getrag five-speed manual or optional Hydra-Matic four-speed automatic transmission. The Cobalt isn't offered with the new 5-speed automatic transmission available in the Saturn Ion.

Horsepower and torque ratings for the 2.0 litre supercharged engine are to be announced later.

Specifications

Price TBA
    Body structure unibody construction with extensive use of high-strength steel
    Wheelbase (in/mm) 103.3 / 2624
    Length (in/mm) Sedan - 180.3 / 4580; Coupe - 180.5 / 4584
    Width (in/mm) 67.9 / 1725
    Engines Ecotec 2.2L DOHC I-4, Ecotec 2.4L DOHC I-4
    Horsepower Ecotec 2.2L - 140 @ 5600 rpm (estimated); Ecotec 2.4L - 170 @ 6000 rpm (estimated); Ecotec 2.0L Supercharged - horsepower to be announced later
    Torque Ecotec 2.2L - 150 @ 4000 rpm; (estimated) Ecotec 2.4L - 170 @ 4400 rpm (estimated); Ecotec 2.0L Supercharged - to be announced later
    Transmissions 5-speed manual (standard), Hydra-Matic 4T45-E 4-speed automatic (optional)
    Driveline front-wheel drive
    Brakes disc front/drum rear, anti-lock brake system on select models
    disc front/disc rear, anti-lock brake system on select models
    Suspension Front/Rear strut-type with stabilizer bar/semi-independent, torsion beam
    Wheel sizes Base/LS: 15-inch
    LT: 16-inch
    SS: 17-inch
    SS Supercharged: 18-inch
    93 Camaro Z28 (The fast one)
    01 Trans Am WS6 (The cute one)
    Esla T6 Dog Sled (Not cute, not fast, scary as hell)

My Ride
    07 Mazdaspeed 6, 89 Mustang LX

Every year, small cars get uglier and uglier (not just GM's small cars either)
    Drag racing is for fast cars. Solo 2 is for fast drivers.

My Ride
    2009 Elantra Touring

It looks very Civic-ish in the front. It looks like a great replacement for the Cavalier but I'm really not liking how all the new GM's seem to borrow from other company's designs. The Ecotec engine has been a great addition to their engine lineup though

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

That is a nice looking car. The interior isn't bad either for an entry level domestic. What can you expect for under $20K?

They need to slam that thing a little. It could go off road with that ride height!

My Ride
    Megun/Kyosho/965

The Original !

1234567, ¦h³Ò¦h±o

My Ride
    Honda Z50 Daily Driver

looks like a 4x4 cavalier!

Yay!

My Ride
    B18C5 neon -|-y|>3 r

looks like a civic and even if it didn't it still doesn't have anything special about it to talk about