Quantcast
Chestermere Election Fraud Possible? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Chestermere Election Fraud Possible?

Default Chestermere Election Fraud Possible?

I know it may not be as controversial as the BS going on in the City election/Ward 7 (Druh Farrell), but I thought some of you out in Chestermere might want to know about this.

After going to the advance polls my neighbors had noticed something suspicious about the voting practice, it was too easy. Apparently there was no requirement for ID at any point during the process, and when they asked about it they were told that they could not ask people to produce ID unless it was stated in a town Bylaw (which it apparently is not). Basically this election has less credibility than the ones organized in Afghanistan with the purple thumb ink.

Even though I now probably have the voting capacity of 100 people, I probably still won't vote. Besides, it would be far more productive (even for non-Calgary residents) to help get Druh Farrell removed from Ward 7.

My Ride
    '05 Saabaru 9-2X

Won't the electoral staff remember you when you come back to vote again and again, in the same night?

If a large group of people wearing headscarves (obscuring their face) were to go in, who is to say they haven't been there before? Also, who is to say that they are even residents of Chestermere in the first place?

In the past, candidates have offered to give a free ride to a polling station in order to secure votes. Maybe with three ethnic minorities in the running for a councilor seat there would be incentive for them to start bringing in other people from NE Calgary or Conrich? I'm just postulating

Any town that runs their business like this does not deserve my vote.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Haha, did you see my facebook status or something? I've decided to run for council next term. I think i can gain alot of votes just through friends and families knowing how cool i am lol

Now that i know though this, watch out for me. I'll definitly be passing some bylaws to turn the landing into strippers

I've reconsidered, and will now cast a ballot.

My Ride
    '05 Saabaru 9-2X

Originally posted by e31
    Maybe with three ethnic minorities in the running for a councilor seat there would be incentive for them to start bringing in other people from NE Calgary or Conrich? I'm just postulating
    Ignoring why you seem to specifically point out "ethnic minorities" as the perpetrators of possible electoral fraud, don't you have to register to vote for a municipal election in Chestermere?

I would imagine those people would show up, provide a fake/real name and that name would not be in the registry. They would then have to put together some sort of on-the-spot voter registration, if that's even offered, and with or without ID that takes a long time to do.

Electoral fraud is a pretty big concern, and they should probably require identification in order to vote (my polling station sure does), but it's not really possible on the scale you're talking about without it being noticeable.

Have you spoken to the returning officer at your polling station about this concern specifically? I'm sure they must have some sort of protection against it.
    Last edited by toastgremlin; 10-13-2010 at 02:40 PM.