Quantcast
tile shower water proof membrane - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: tile shower water proof membrane

My Ride
    -10 F150 Lariat, -10 Fusion SEL awd

Default tile shower water proof membrane

Hi, I am wondering if anyone here knows the cheapest place to get the schluter orange waterproof membrane for in shower stalls.. Homes depot if just about $300 for a roll, and that is insane..

Does anyone know a cheaper place to avoid me from having to call every tile place in calgary?

thanks,
    C.J.

1997 TSi AWD 2.3L 6 bolt (Carillo Rods, Wiseco pistons, Cometic headgasket, ACL bearings, removed BS, FP3's, Crower springs/retainers, ARP hardware), FIC 950's, Aeromotive AFPR with SS lines, Walbro 255HP, PTE SCM61, Tial wastegate, Greddy Type S BOV, short route FMIC, 3" turbo back, AEM EMS, 3 bar map conversion, BJs SMIM, 75mm TB, Innovate LC-1 Wideband, 18" Focals, Bridgestone Potenza RE040's, Tokiko suspension.

Schluter Kerdi. You can buy it from me. I buy it straight from the wholesalers. However much you want down to the square foot. I think my cost is a little over a buck a foot.
    Last edited by C_Dave45; 10-17-2010 at 08:03 PM.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Care to explain what this stuff is? I will be making a shower sometime soon in the basement and trying to understand what is all required.

I am guessing that I need mold resistant drywall as the back end (or do i use that cement looking stuff?). Do i apply the tile directly to that after or do I need this stuff.

Sorry very new to doing bathrooms.

My Ride
    Super Car(s)

Hey Dave do they use this stuff in new home construction?

Originally posted by eblend
    Care to explain what this stuff is? I will be making a shower sometime soon in the basement and trying to understand what is all required.

I am guessing that I need mold resistant drywall as the back end (or do i use that cement looking stuff?). Do i apply the tile directly to that after or do I need this stuff.

Sorry very new to doing bathrooms.
    It's a waterproof membrane used in shower construction.
    http://www.schluter.com/8_1_kerdi.aspx
    You don't necessarily need mold resistant drywall, as you are making a 100% waterproof substrate. You don't HAVE to use concrete board, you can use regular drywall if you want. And yes the tile is set directly onto the kerdi with NON-modified thinset. You need to use the proper Schluter shower drain, if you're going to use this stuff on your sand&cement shower floor. Either that, or a conventional rubber liner (ceraloid) under the dry-pack.

Originally posted by InRich
    Hey Dave do they use this stuff in new home construction?
    We use it in steam showers. (Steam shower HAS to be 100% waterproofed, no mater what substrate you're setting on)
    Other than that, very few builders want to spend the money on Kerdi. A properly built shower, even without Kerdi (or a paint-on liquid membrane) will still last 30, 40 years, no problem.

My Ride
    Super Car(s)

Thanks Dave.