Quantcast
Why is Western Canada more violent than the rest of the country?? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why is Western Canada more violent than the rest of the country??

My Ride
    //M

Default Why is Western Canada more violent than the rest of the country??

According to this Macleans article Western Canada is the most violent and crime ridden parts of the country and as you get to Ontario and more east it becomes less violent. I'm leaving out the northern territories because population is low up there.
    http://www2.macleans.ca/2010/10/14/n...rankings-2010/

Many people dump on Ontario/Toronto all the time, yet in terms of safety its vastly better than many other parts of the country. So why is that? Why does the west have more crime than the east?

Edit: this explains
    http://www2.macleans.ca/2010/10/14/safety-in-numbers/
    Last edited by 911fever; 10-17-2010 at 09:32 PM.
    Destroying anti-US trolls and idiots like broken_legs since 2009.
    Dallas, Texas

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Robert Pickton skewed the results. If you take him out of the equation, it's probably equal across the board...

Zenops?^^

You forgot your north korea, ludwig, chinese farmers and rob anders references.

My Ride
    CRF 250L

OP, Why don't you go to PG and find out...

The economy is shit, the weather is cold, theres nothing to do but drugs. Now add in generations of social problems.

I will also add that the violent places in the west are spread out and isolated and much newer than places out east. Not like the older and tight knit communites out east.

Finally, the west pays for all of the Easts social programs. People need to kill for food here because they paid so much in transfer payments to the "Vastly Safer" Eastern provinces.

One last thing - Toronto is a shit hole.
    TRUTH: it's the new hate speech.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell

Its ingrained in Western history, first the Europeans came in to steal land from the natives, then they rebelled against the Dominion who wanted to steal land from them. Hell, the idea of hunting back in the day was running as many bison off a giant cliff and waiting for them to die, which then turned into shooting them from the train.

Then after all this, Ukranians and Germans came out west en masse to be joined by Scandanavians. Between the goths, oppressed Slavs and the vikings its a melting pot of bloodlust meeting a couple hundred years of biological warfare and economic exploitation against the native inhabitants; it was only a matter of time before they took Riel's lead and fought back. Now we've got Newfies (Irish drunkards), Cape Bretoners (Scottish drunkards) and Asians (ninjas) so things aren't looking up.

But the real answer is that there are less people in Western Canada, so the per capita numbers will naturally shoot up. The hundreds of thousands of people in affluent suburbs balance off the inner-city problem areas out East. One crime in Grande Prairie or Prince George is worth 10 crimes in Scarborough for example.
    Last edited by kertejud2; 10-17-2010 at 09:55 PM.

Pickton is a very good answer.

So is naturally sulfunated water - so Wiebo becomes part of the equation too.

Rob Anders is in there as well. The east tends to be more liberal, a conservative attitude tends to be more militant. Pull that trigger Rob.
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

My Ride
    //M

Originally posted by broken_legs
    OP, Why don't you go to PG and find out...

The economy is shit, the weather is cold, theres nothing to do but drugs. Now add in generations of social problems.

I will also add that the violent places in the west are spread out and isolated and much newer than places out east. Not like the older and tight knit communites out east.

Finally, the west pays for all of the Easts social programs. People need to kill for food here because they paid so much in transfer payments to the "Vastly Safer" Eastern provinces.

One last thing - Toronto is a shit hole.
    without a doubt, I'd say Calgary is far more of a shit hole in the past 6 years than Toronto. We actually have great roads here, and it's a great city for how many people that live here, right on the water. I don't dislike Calgary, but I do dislike how terrible it's become as of late.
    Dallas, Texas

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

PG = natives

My Ride
    anything that comes along

Crime statistics are not very easy to analyze and can easily be altered. Police departments are notorious for reclassifying things to get it to look like they are more efficient, so maybe that is being overlooked? Has Ontario been changing policing methods?

I think Alberta should be considering an Albertan police force and do away with the RCMP.

My Ride
    2011 Audi TTs

Originally posted by 911fever

without a doubt, I'd say Calgary is far more of a shit hole in the past 6 years than Toronto. We actually have great roads here, and it's a great city for how many people that live here, right on the water. I don't dislike Calgary, but I do dislike how terrible it's become as of late.
    lol. are u serious?

i've been in toronto/brampton for the last 2 months. calgary's infrastructure allows you to drive into the city during rush hour from wherever. every highway into anywhere near toronto's core is a congested nightmare, even outside of rush hour.

My Ride
    //M

Originally posted by soupey

lol. are u serious?

i've been in toronto/brampton for the last 2 months. calgary's infrastructure allows you to drive into the city during rush hour from wherever. every highway into anywhere near toronto's core is a congested nightmare, even outside of rush hour.
    when the HOV lane is finished next month from Burlington to Toronto, things should be much better and should flow better. Every day I make it to Toronto from the west GTA in 40 minutes; traffic is bad but its definitely improving. What other big city has the least amount of traffic like us? LA, NY, SF, are all terrible traffic wise compared to Toronto. And the 407 is amazing. Calgary is 1/5 the size of the GTA and to me, it felt terrible traffic wise for its size and the condition of the roads was brutal. It's improving though I hear.
    Dallas, Texas

The GTA sucks, and the lease of the 407 was nothing short of criminal. The entire Golden Horseshoe is a concrete shithole.

My Ride
    //M

Originally posted by kertejud2
    The GTA sucks, and the lease of the 407 was nothing short of criminal. The entire Golden Horseshoe is a concrete shithole.

http://list.moneysense.ca/rankings/b...2=1&d1=a&sc1=0

that's why where I live is the #3 spot in all of Canada to live in right, in the GTA?
    even Windsor is above Calgary haha

this is a picture overlooking Lake Ontario from a pier in Oakville, 35 minute drive from downtown Toronto.

Isn't it fun driving to Sylvan for water? haha

it's cool that you don't like the GTA, but it's not a concrete 'shithole'. Take a look in Forest Lawn first, douche.

Last edited by 911fever; 10-18-2010 at 09:33 AM.
    Dallas, Texas

My Ride
    Whiney '02 WRX

http://list.moneysense.ca/rankings/b...d1=a&sc1=0

that's why where I live is the #3 spot in all of Canada to live in right, in the GTA?

this is a picture overlooking Lake Ontario from a pier in Oakville, 35 minute drive from downtown Toronto.
    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

it's cool that you don't like the GTA, but it's not a concrete 'shithole'. Take a look in Forest Lawn first, douche.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    Lake Ontario... so majestic!

How often do you go swimming in this beautiful lake?

My Ride
    //M

Originally posted by Idratherbsidewayz

Lake Ontario... so majestic!

How often do you go swimming in this beautiful lake?
    a few times son, go with friends in their boat and go way out and swim. Muskoka's are way better though for swimming as you know.
    Dallas, Texas

Burlington is but a small (and depressing part) of the GTA (Toronto proper is 85th, edging out breathtaking Sault Ste. Marie but not managing to beat out booming Swift Current). Hell, Toronto comes in below Hamilton (as somebody who's been to Hamilton, I can assure you that this is rather humorous).

And if you come from #3 why does your location say Oakville (5 spots behind Calgary)? Surely anybody in Canada's most affluent community wouldn't agree that Burlington is a better place to live. Any statistical analysis that determines that Lethbridge, Brandon and Moncton as better places to live than Montreal, Vancouver and even Toronto (actual Toronto) has some very specific standards.

Is it fun having the nearest water being a public health hazard?

From Forest Lawn I could at least see the mountains. From the GTA I can see this:

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

http://list.moneysense.ca/rankings/b...d1=a&sc1=0

Ok, I'm not fond of Calgary either, BUT did you even bother LOOKING at the link you just threw up there? Whoever made that was a complete retard.

Just using your "location" and ours. The ONLY two categories Burlington "beat" Calgary in, is unemployment rate (5% vs 6.5%), and provincial income tax (a whopping 0.85% difference.

Lets just dissect that last one for a moment. Hmmmm, which would I rate have, an Income tax rate of 9.15% and SALES TAX OF 13%, or an Income tax of 10%, and sales tax of 5%? Oh, but that's right you have more income... no... we ranked better there. OK, but you have more discretionary income... wait... shit, no we have more of that too.

Hmmm weird.

How about next time you decide to do a quick google check comparing your current city to another, you actually LOOK and READ it first.

Edit: And seriously, they have a "new car" making the decision as to whether or not somewhere is a "best place to live"? That whole whole list is fucking retarded, whoever made it should have been fired. (Unless it was done by a Ontario provincial employee, trying to keep people from leaving ONT in mass quantities.)
    Last edited by Tik-Tok; 10-18-2010 at 10:51 AM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

I got a feeling that population size diluted the result. We are not as dense as out East.

Case in point 100 murders in TO will provide better stats than 20 murders in Calgary.

My Ride
    //M

LOL @ Burlington being depressing. You got me there, you should've just told me you were a retard before I replied to you.
    To the rest of beyond: Burlington and Oakville are almost one and the same, you can drive down the lakeshore in Burlington and see the million dollar houses turn into multimillion dollar houses in Oakville, the closer you get to Toronto. Both are such great places to live in and very similiar.
    Great that you can see the mountains from Forest Lawn, but are you sure you can see it through the snow you get in July and early October? Like these East vs. west arguments are stupid because as I said, both are good, but I personally think Calgary has gone downhill fast in the past 10 years, and to call the GTA a concrete shithole is ridiculous.

Originally posted by kertejud2

Burlington is but a small (and depressing part) of the GTA (Toronto proper is 85th, edging out breathtaking Sault Ste. Marie but not managing to beat out booming Swift Current). Hell, Toronto comes in below Hamilton (as somebody who's been to Hamilton, I can assure you that this is rather humorous).

And if you come from #3 why does your location say Oakville (5 spots behind Calgary)? Surely anybody in Canada's most affluent community wouldn't agree that Burlington is a better place to live. Any statistical analysis that determines that Lethbridge, Brandon and Moncton as better places to live than Montreal, Vancouver and even Toronto (actual Toronto) has some very specific standards.

Dallas, Texas

LOL @ Burlington being depressing. You got me there, you should've just told me you were a retard before I replied to you.
    To the rest of beyond: Burlington and Oakville are almost one and the same
    I know many people in Oakville who would disagree. Sounds like the words of somebody who lives in Burlington and wants to take a step up, kind of like people in Hoboken saying they live in New York.

you can drive down the lakeshore in Burlington and see the million dollar houses turn into multimillion dollar houses in Oakville, the closer you get to Toronto. Both are such great places to live in and very similiar.
    If they're so similar why is there a 29 spot gap between them in your brilliant 'prosperity ranking'?

Great that you can see the mountains from Forest Lawn, but are you sure you can see it through the snow you get in July and early October?
    The snow makes the mountains easier to see.

Like these East vs. west arguments are stupid because as I said, both are good, but I personally think Calgary has gone downhill fast in the past 10 years, and to call the GTA a concrete shithole is ridiculous.
    There's only one good part of the GTA, and that is downtown Toronto (for its pomp and flair). Everything else is a suburban nightmare or the second coming of the Rust Belt. Ontario is bankrupt and incapable of keeping itself going with its crumbling economy and growing population. Things are getting worse with no sign of getting better, and all that can keep people company on those long drives on the shoreline is knowing that it will take hours to actually get anywhere that isn't developed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast