Quantcast
small car, big back seat? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: small car, big back seat?

My Ride
    EG6

I got a 2000 forester with 89000km for $6000 landed at Vancover from Japan. Driving was very odd for the first 2 hours or so and now I do t even notice switching from left to right hand drive.

The back seats are very roomy even compared with my 98 legacy. They also fold flat so I can get some large stuff in there.

The only things I have had to do are general maintenance on a 15 year old car so that probably put another 500 on the bill but at this point I have had such a good experience that I will not buy another japanese car from Canada.

Parts are also easy to find as 90% of the parts are the same as north American models.
    If you get angry at my post please re-read as a joke or sarcasm.

My Ride
    G37X

Certainly not 'fun' but what about one of the full size GM's of the year like an Impala? Tons of space, cheap to fix and cheap.

My Ride
    FB6

Boxy little hatchbacks usually have lots or rear passenger room. The honda fit and nissan versa come to mind.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

+1 for a fit.

Have fit 5 adults in one without to much hassle.

Much better than a golf for room as a note, decent little car to.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

How close are the kids to being in booster seats? Front facing kid seats still take up a lot of room. I don't think the little hatchbacks would work for you (I've owned a Fit, Golf, and other cars this size). I think your best bet would be mid size sedans like the ones you mentioned. Camry, Accord would be probably your best choices in that range. Stick to 4 cylinder Accord if going that way.

Or, go all out and get something like this?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/c...ationFlag=true

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/c...ationFlag=true
    Last edited by Aleks; 10-13-2015 at 08:10 AM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

There are some front facing convertibles that are pretty decent. I've had good success with the Britax Marathon, it's worked well in the C63 BS, the RC-F, with tons of room left over.

It's the rear facing ones that suck ass as they need a lot of legroom to clear the front seats.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Yeah, one kid is in a booster seat, and that's pretty slim. The other is a a year away at least, but i can always put her behind the wife's seat to make a little more room.

We've got the minivan if we need to take longer trips with the whole family.

V6 accords not as reliable?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Yeah, one kid is in a booster seat, and that's pretty slim. The other is a a year away at least, but i can always put her behind the wife's seat to make a little more room.

We've got the minivan if we need to take longer trips with the whole family.

V6 accords not as reliable?
    I forgot about your Odyssey. Forget the Mazda5 then. The only worry I would have about V6 Accords of that era is the transmission. They seem to have some well documented issues with them.

Originally posted by Fly Fishin'
    I got a 2000 forester with 89000km for $6000 landed at Vancover from Japan. Driving was very odd for the first 2 hours or so and now I do t even notice switching from left to right hand drive.
    Why would you bother importing a Subaru Forester from Japan?

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

I've got an Elantra Touring (2010) and it has a crazy big back seat for such a reasonably sized car.
    It gets ~7L/100km (pen & paper, not from the trip computer) with the 5 speed and it's got optional heated seats and projector headlights as well.

Perhaps they're worth checking out, just don't get the automatic gearbox - they seem to be horrendously unreliable.
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

I have a 2004 Maxima that mostly just sits parked but I love it, more space in the back then any other car I have sat in (I'm 6'3) plus with a 3.5L V6 and 6 speed manual, it fun to zip around in. Of course my normal vehicle is a Duramax 2500 truck so most cars feel pretty nimble to me.

funny... of all the cars that are "small" that feel "big", are the VW hatches... especially since the MK4

Somehow the Jetta doesn't seem to have the same legroom or headroom... or percieved

My volvo V50 has awesome trunk space, as its a "real" wagon, but rear leg room is left to be desired

I heard that the new Corolla (can't remember which model) now has leg room that rivals the Camry...

My Ride
    Silverado

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Necro-bump! Thought I'd keep my question to this old thread of mine, since some of the requirements are still the same.

Might be selling my truck and downgrading to a "cheaper" car to get me though this unemployment. The used truck market is amazingly strong these days.

Looking for a family car,doesn't have to be "small, with decent rear seat room for the kids in carseats (front facing now). Would like it to be somewhat reliable, and if at all possible, somewhat fun driving dynamics. Fuel economy is not primary concern, as it will be seeing very few KMs, mostly short trips.

Must have the LATCH anchors, (AKA LUAS, Lower Universal Anchor System), so must be newer than 2003.

Price, $4000-$6000.

Looking through Kijiji, seems like a Camry, Elantra, Mazda6 in the 2007 age are pretty decent choices.

Not making this move for a month or so, just assessing my options right now.
    I had a 2001 camry. great vehicle, mine was even a 5 speed :P

My Ride
    EG6

Originally posted by sputnik

Why would you bother importing a Subaru Forester from Japan?
    Price vs km on the car. I could buy a turbo forester with 150000km from north America for 10k to 14k (average asking price) or a jdm with 60000 to 80000km for half the price.
    If you get angry at my post please re-read as a joke or sarcasm.

A Honda Element has more room than most large sedans in the back seat.. I was shocked at how much room it has.

Originally posted by E36M3
    A Honda Element has more room than most large sedans in the back seat.. I was shocked at how much room it has.
    The front seat as well. My brother in law is 6'4 and could wear a cowboy hat while driving it if he wanted to.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2