Quantcast
Best Places to Visit in Europe? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best Places to Visit in Europe?

My Ride
    Eclipse

Default Best Places to Visit in Europe?

So I will be leaving for Europe in a few hours and I will be there for roughly 8 months in Poland, but I would like to travel around a lot as well since it is so cheap.

I was just in Portugal, Austria, Czech Republic, Germany (Frankfurt, Munich both 1 day each), Slovakia

I am wondering what you guys would recommend I check out?

I was thinking about hitting up Amsterdam and Spain for sure, but then I don't know what else I should visit.

What did you guys enjoy/recommend the must from your Europe trips?
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

My Ride
    2013 Ford Escape

I love Berlin, and personally would chose it over Frankfurt. Budapest is great as well. Amsterdam is definitely a must, before the current mayor changes it too much, since I heard he wants to shut down the red light district. Spain is gorgeous, and I recommend trying to visit if possible. Visiting anywhere in Eastern Europe will be pretty cheap, so you should try to see as much there as you can. The only place in Eastern Europe that I found to be really expensive was Prague.

I just came back from Germany and Sardinia. Germany is great but Sardinia blew my mind. Pics are here if you're interested:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/319190/my...-tons-of-pics/

If you have any questions let me know.

My Ride
    04 Mini Cooper S JCW

I spent a month in France, Italy and Croatia this past summer and loved it. I loved Paris and central France (country side, wineries...) but wasn't overly impressed with southern France like the French Riviera. Italy was amazing especially the area around Florence (Tuscany). Croatia, out of this world. Granted I only saw Dubrovnik but it was gorgeous. None of these places are cheap though.

My Ride
    G6

I've backpacked ~15 countries in Europe and can sum it up in one word: BUDAPEST. It's the one city where it doesn't matter what you're into, it's there.

For history buffs: you have two cities (Buda and Pest), so tonnes of cool bridges, TWO castles, and history incorporating the Romans, Turks, Austrians, and Hungarians all in one city.

For partiers: You've got the elaborate nightclubs. We partied on a permanently parked boat that's a 2 story club, and at another club which is under a small pool. What's more amazing though is these small little bars that are kinda hidden down alleys all over the Jewish district. Truly authentic and crazy partying till 6AM.

For relaxation: Turkish baths. Greatest swimming complexes I've ever been to. The one I went to had 3 big outdoor pools and 40+ indoor pools/saunas all at different temperatures. It's hard to describe the awesomeness here, google it and AVOID the all male nude one...

Food is great too if you like Eastern/Central European cooking. It's pretty cheap. I'd say go in the summer. You can get a night train from Krakow direct to Budapest (I did the opposite way). The only crappy thing is their language which bears no resemblance to anything else. Thankfully a lot of them speak either English or German (if you're fluent in this).

Hostel recommendation: http://www.hostels.com/hosteldetails...elNumber.30688
    Not the nicest or cheapest, but it's got a great location and it's super easy to make friends to go out with there.

My Ride
    G6

Off the top of my head...

Other great spots (after you've done Budapest twice): Berlin, Krakow (amazing), Paris (so so), Barcelona, Florence, Amsterdam, Luzern

Avoid: Warsaw (boring), Frankfurt (industrial, boring), Vienna (good for retirees), Rome (good for nobody), Brussels (many reasons), Zurich (to be fair it's ok just kinda boring), Toulouse (the WORST), Prague (only here because Krakow and Budapest are way better and way cheaper).

My Ride
    Eclipse

Sorry forgot to mention I have been to Berlin a few times, and I was in Prague but It was raining during my trip, I am def going to visit prague again since it will only be a 5hr drive from our place in Poland..

Seems Like budapest is a must, I was going to check it out last time I was in Europe but we ran out of time.

I def would like to check out Italy and Crotia but I don't think I am to interested in France, I've heard way to many people that other then the effiel tower it is completely overpriced and not worth it..
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

My Ride
    Porsche 911sc

I second Croatia and Slovenia... The Delmation coast in Croatia is a must see

My Ride
    17 Civic HB Sport

When in Munich make sure to check out their City hall, its pretty amazing. The subway station is called Marien platz

Originally posted by 911sc
    Agreed!
    If you go to Slovenia check out a place called Bled, went there a few years ago and it was absolutely beautiful!

Last edited by LadyLuck; 10-27-2010 at 12:21 PM.
    What kind of birdhouse can you build with popsicles, roofies, and a rubber mallet?
    "It's for a rare African bird called "none your business."
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    If you were straight I'd eat you like a BLT sandwich with extra Bacon. And I fucking LOVE bacon.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Florence & Tuscany. Spend at least a few days there.... its quite a magical place. You'll become quite a wine snob if you ever go visit a few wineries. I know I can no longer palate 90% of the shit wine we have locally & elsewhere after having some of the best wine ever produced out there.

Rome is quite an interesting place. Its still amazing, but dont forget that it very much is a city; abiet one of 3 million people, so plan ahead. LOTS to see and do in small towns of Italy, such as Orvieto. Keep in mind the less-tourist friendly places may not speak any english so plan to hire a translator if need be.

Munich is a beautiful city, too bad I didn't spend more time there
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    GSR

You have to go to Amsterdam for sure, this was my favorite city I visited in Europe. I'd skip Italy to be honest, especially Venice. Rome is alright if you're into more of the touristy things, the people there are pretty rude. Barcelona is an awesome place too, check out the beaches there.

My Ride
    02 Blown X

Originally posted by 911sc
    Another vote for Croatia. I drove the Dalmatian coast through most of Croatia and the small piece of Bosnia you must pass through. If you have some time, be sure to take a boat out to some of the islands.

Just remember how to say "Pivo", and the rest will sort itself out.

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

Ask for pivo or rakija when you get there (pronounced rakiya) In Croatia! Youll love it there!

Spain is a great place to visit. It has a variety of attractions like excellent and quiet beaches, architecture, wildlife parks, monuments and buildings etc. Best places to visit Spain include Madrid, Barcelona, Valencia, Granada, Palma de Mallorca, Menorca .........

+1 for Krakow!
    Awesome city - loads of history from WWII (Schindler's factory, the old Jewish town, Auschwitz), tons of bars, cafes, clubs and restaurants, super nice city square, people are nice and speak English quite well, especially in the city center. And best of all, it is CHEAP! Beers are no more than $3 Canadian, usually closer to $2, decent food is less than $5 a meal, nicer meals won't be over $15.

My Ride
    AWOL

Default Re: Best Places to Visit in Europe?

Originally posted by Kobe
    but I would like to travel around a lot as well since it is so cheap.
    Say whaaat? It's "cheap" because you're already on the right continent but western Europe isn't cheap to explore and some places are outrageously expensive (Switzerland!! Austria, the Alps in general). Really it depends what you want to do, see and spend. Now to show off a bit:

I starred some Euro favorites years ago sooo...

Prague: mostly for the buildings, women and cheap booze, although it's getting more expensive and seriously Euro-douchebagged-up (excessive drunk British fratboy population due to cheap flights)
    Basel: really loved it here, think it was the fall colors, parties, people and nice meshing of old+new
    Nice: My favorite along the Côte d'Azur, and right next door to Monte Carlo which you MUST explore/gamble in
    Rotterdam: great techno party scene, it's all mostly rebuilt after the war so it has an interesting soul/flavour. While Amsterdam is great (definitely worth seeing before they eliminate the red light district and restrict the coffee shops), there's a lot of crazies/scammers and it's so old/cramped that R'dam was a nice break to see some modern Dutchness. In between, hop off the train in Den Haag to see the Dutch seat of government and Madurodam.
    Koblenz: cool hostel in a fortress here. Anything along the Rhine is amazing, lots of friendly people and tourists in the small towns. Perhaps a river cruise?
    Paris: Lotsa history, even more tourists, expensive. Still has amazing charm, if you can deal with the cheezy French dicks. Hot easy French girls but the most.. difficult in all of France
    Copenhagen: Cool city. Danish girls: fuck ME.
    Rome: History! Duuuuude! Reminded me of playing Civilization.
    Krakow: Yep!
    Zakopane: Ski? I'm sure it's changed since I've been there but go get some Góral in ya, pig out on Bryndza sheep cheese, kick some gypsies and whatever. Apparently there's good skiing just across the border.
    Warsaw: sure it's all rebuilt and big and stinky but there's still some gems (stroll through the old town, see Zamek Ujadzowski, pick up girls in Lazienki, do a few laps in the Wisla...). It has been neat to see it go from gray communist behemoth to shiny, decadent, corrupt capitalism, with a sprinkling of old people pining for the Good Ole Days.

Other mentionables:
    - Cantabria province in nothern Spain has the Picos de Europas (rockies, basically) and some great oceanfront. Make some Spanish friends and you will have an incredible time!
    - Grindelwald/Interlaken/Swiss alps in general... gorgeous and friendly but bring money.
    - southern Spain, Morocco, Portugal I wanna see, someone told me to go to Cadiz?
    - Croatia fo sho, it's Europe's new hotness cheap vacation spot
    - When in Rome, hit Pompeii!
    - Eurorail is a cheap way to explore if the tickets suit your travel style and schedule. Otherwise look into budget airlines (dunno these anymore, they change a lot), use the Deutsche Bahn website for train connections but learn your shit, look for discounts, explore fares and be smart because train ticket cashiers in some places make a game of ripping foreigners off!
    - stay in hostels to meet cool travelers, but watch out for serious disease-bags who've fucked everyone that's been through the hostel in the past month
    - hit some mega-clubs and massive parties
    - tripadvisor // lonely planet // hihostels are great, but you really gotta go local to get off the beaten path...

Smalltown Polska? Powodzenia, wsioku.
    Last edited by Grogador; 11-09-2010 at 03:32 AM.

My Ride
    Eclipse

Sweet thanks a lot guys

I have been to Prague, Warsaw, Zakpane and we are 60km from krawkow so I will def be checking it out again...

I am going to check out Auschwitz on Friday, it might be weird to check out since I am Polish even though I lived 98% of my lifetime in Canada

Thanks again for all the info...

can we get a bump up in here, im on an exchange to graz austria in about a wek and im still researching some places to hit, any ore suggestions, fuck i love that i chose austria though, it seems to be right in the middle of things, besides hungary, Croatia, italy, switzerland, germany, et.. boy am i excited. Ive never been anywhere so please some suggestions or just travel tips would be greatly appreciated
    Originally posted by Modelexis
    If I have questions about my phone bill, I don't post it on beyond, I call telus.
    Originally posted by D911
    worst part is definitely when the dudes smacking it with his dick like that inside out anus owes his dick some money.
    the crap you find when you dig through ask leo

My Ride
    Eclipse

Wien is really nice in Austria, def check out the churches and architecture, Prague is also driving distance for Wien when you get a chance

My Ride
    is Invisible

chkolny how much do you plan the exchange program to cost u?(school, flight and food only)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast