Quantcast
Belize - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Belize

Default Belize

Anyone here been to Belize?

In my other thread I stated that we are looking for a warm vacation this year and desiring something different than the typical Mexican or Cuban resorts.

In my search, Belize has jumped out as possibly meeting the criteria we had set out. Id like to hear any first hand experiences from fellow Beyonders.

shitty part is it takes a day to get there whereas most places in mexico you fly direct.

My Ride
    '72 Volvo 1800E / '11 Escape

was in Belize about 10 years ago. Was on Ambergris Caye, it is extremely laid back there, if you are looking for a party place this ain't it. It's gorgeous, the water is great thanks to the reef break.
    We only did a day on the mainland and went and saw some ruins, they are a long drive away but are cool since they aren't as visited as Mexican ones are. Everyone we met there seemed really nice and friendly

10 years ago there weren't any real resorts on the Caye, just small 10-30 rooms suites.

If you are into ocean stuff, diving, etc, and also want a slow paced vacation, this is the spot for you.
    2006 Edmonton Indy - Heatstroke
    2007 Vegas Grand Prix - Fremont awesomeness
    2010 Montreal Grand Prix - Section 11!
    2011 Edmonton Indy - Mudfest
    2012 Nascar Autoclub 400 - Convinced I attract rain....
    2016 Spa & Monza. Ya baby!

Nice country, typically friendly people, English speaking throughout, great scuba diving. If you can find decent flights it's great, if not you can always fly to Cancun and take the bus down to Belize City. Get out to Caye Caulker and explore a bit, check out the blue hole, see howler monkeys. There's lots to do.

My Ride
    a car

I was in Belize for about 5 days last year. Very laid back, nice beaches and reefs. The Mayan ruins are ok, but not nearly as good as Guatemala.

Defiantly not the most dangerous place I’ve been but while there the bus I was on was involved in a drug bust that almost escalated into a shootout. When I went to complain that a golf cart, I rented to explore a small island, didn't work, the "manager" I talked to took out a huge nickel plated hand gun. So it might not be the safest place in the world.
    Last edited by smc; 11-04-2010 at 01:09 PM.
    Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand

My Ride
    01 Cummins 3500,

great place man i was just there in july. lots to do and see with some varied land scape. great people great food, and the snorkeling was amazing! beleze city is a dump but there are alot of nice locations amongst it.

My Ride
    CRF 250L

Belize was awesome.

The scuba diving there was unreal!

If you time it right you can go swim with the whale sharks at Placentia

I went to San Pedro for 10ish days. It was sweet. It's not like mexico, its not like jamaica, its like those two got combined. Everyday I went scuba diving - Everyday I ate the chinese chicken from the street.

Super cool atmosphere. Lots of poverty and poor people but everyone is really nice and cool. The live music was great. Tonnes of laid back scuba divers. Lots of americans mostly.

We were cruising south on the island way out past the touristy places when the GF started yelling at me. I had no idea what was going on until the golf cart 'caugh air'. I guess I ran over a GINORMOUS black snake . I looked back and it was like anaconda the movie. Didn't even phase the snake.

You can fly in easily to belize city if you connect through houston. Then you'll either go north to San Pedro or south to Placentia.

Placentia from what I hear if VERY underdeveloped. ie not any kind of normal resorts, lacking in amenities such as running water and refidgeration etc... But also heard its amazing and the scuba diving is top notch.

I put up a video on youtube (soundtrack got disabled...) Yes i know it sucks

While we were there we got the first tropical storm of the year 'Tropical Storm Arturo' aka Arthur and we were right in the eye of the depression. Pretty cool trip, would definitely go back.

Also theres lots of cool shit you can do in the jungle, like zip lining and tubing through caves (and getting bitten by the BOTS FLY)

TRUTH: it's the new hate speech.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell