Quantcast
Hail damage; Repair or Cash Settlement - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Hail damage; Repair or Cash Settlement

My Ride
    Accord Coupe

Default Hail damage; Repair or Cash Settlement

Here is the situation, I have a 2005 Honda Accord LX-V6 that has some scratches, but also has low km, so I figure it should be worth ~$12k if I get the hail damage fixed. However the hail damage it has is pretty minor, roughly 5 minor dents to the untrained eye (the estimater picked out a lot more). If I get it fixed, it will be through PDR, so the scrathches will still be there.

Alternatively I could take $5K of cash (couldn't believe the estimate they gave me to fix it).

The benefit to the cash settlement is that I would only be into the car $7k, and it could become my winter beater (I still enjoy driving it).

The downside is that the car would no longer be eligible for hail insurance...but I am not too concerned about that as I haven't had hail damage for a very long time, so I am willing to risk it.

If I did decide to sell the car, I obviously wouldn't get $12k, but I would expect that I would get more than $7K (I would disclose to the buyer it would no longer be eligible for hail insurance.

What are your opinions?

Thanks

My Ride
    Blue boy

If you decide to keep the cheque and keep it, double check with you insurance. Mine would not cover any comprehensive on it anymore. PM me if you wish to sell it

My Ride
    13 Scion FR-S, 11 Mitsu Outlander

Take the settlement, tell insurance you have a guy that will fix it, fix it whenever you get around to it, then prove it with photos or possibly a cheap appraisal/inspection then be back on insurance. Not illegal at all - it's expected since right now PDR prices are nuts, where in 6 months they won't be (barring another hail storm)

They still have to cover you for comp/damage, just the total value of the car will become (total value - 5k) they gave you for the hail damage.
    That's not sweat. It's your fat, crying.

My Ride
    Lease

Originally posted by Khyron
    since right now PDR prices are nuts, where in 6 months they won't be (barring another hail storm)

Who gave you that idea???

You do know that Arizona went through a huge hail storm earlier this month right? http://www.azfamily.com/outbound-fee...104419494.html

The flood of American PDR techs (which is where most of the PDR "hail chasing" techs are saturated) have already packed and moved and forgotten 'bout Calgary... Think in the lines of gypsy lifestyle.

Which leaves the low volume of legitimate Canadian techs (excluding international ones, there aren't that many)... And I hope you realize it didn't hail "just in Calgary" this year in Canada.

So with some of the flood of Americans gone, now you're still looking at repair time frame for 2010 hail to HOPEFULLY be mostly completed by March - May, 2011...

Then guess what happens? In spring time 2011, it usually hails somewhere... that's not even factoring in the other half hemisphere (i.e. Australia) would have their hail season during our winter, so for techs who can really do the work and/or wishes to travel, sometimes the (North American) techs fly overseas to work in other continents' hail season too.

I might be wrong though.

My Ride
    Accord Coupe

Default Hail Damage : Cash or Repair

Just a thought:
    As I indicated, if I sold privately I would disclose everything to the purchaser.

However what if I traded it in? I hate stealerships so I never buy from them, so I am not up to speed on their trade in process...but if I traded my car in on a wintery day, and they didn't notice the hail damage, would they have any recourse?

I would not lie to them, but if they didn't ask about insurance claims, I think I should be fine.

For all I know, they could be going over cars very closely when traded in, but I am not sure if that is the case.

My Ride
    Nothing Good.

take the cash and drive that reliable Honda into the ground. (way in the future)
    A Ferrari is a high maintenance chick, you spend money regardless of what you do with her. You can baby the C63, or slap on all seasons, and you won't be spending anything but yearly maintenance. Of course that's like dating a stripper and refusing to fuck her, which would make you gay.

Originally posted by Rage2

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Take the cash, keep the car, use cash for hookers and blow.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    POS

Take the cash. If you are planning to sell it in the near future get the obvious ones fixed and you will get decent money for it. If you don't plan on selling it, take the cash and go on a shopping spree and drive the car to it's grave. Honda's make awesome beater cars when they get older and are not worth selling unless you don't have the space for it anymore.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

I thnk I'd take the cash as well. That's a real nice settlement for such minor damage!

My Ride
    Bicycle

Take the cash. Pretty respectable winter ride even with dents.

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

I'm a dumbass.
    Last edited by CUG; 10-31-2010 at 07:19 PM.

Originally posted by teamPRO

howbout suck my black kettle...

My Ride
    13 Scion FR-S, 11 Mitsu Outlander

Originally posted by TomcoPDR

Who gave you that idea???

You do know that Arizona went through a huge hail storm earlier this month right? http://www.azfamily.com/outbound-fee...104419494.html

So with some of the flood of Americans gone, now you're still looking at repair time frame for 2010 hail to HOPEFULLY be mostly completed by March - May, 2011...

I might be wrong though.
    It hails a lot, but it's extremely rare that it's hard enough to have massive auto/home damage. July's storm was the worst in something like 20+ years and I think it's the most expensive storm ever in Alberta.

My car was processed in under 2 weeks - and it was mint. It also cost a mint as well since they could charge the prices. Shrug. Body shop guy and several auto dealers seem to think prices will be more reasonable in 6 months, but who knows for sure?

To the OP I'd still take the money no matter what, and either fix it or not later on.
    That's not sweat. It's your fat, crying.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

I'd take the $5g in a heartbeat.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

Hail Paintless Dent Removal prices aren't going to drop in the future just because the volume of repairs go down. Most companies will chase the next storm leaving the local hail guys here and they will likely charge exactly the same as when the volume was high. Most of them have a "matrix" price chart which they follow at all time. Its not like they have a high season/low season matrix to use.

As far as a conventional autobody repair, it won't change either as shops rates are fairly static and weren't affected by the hail.
    Originally posted by TomcoPDR

Wait. Tom, THE Tom?
    Originally posted by Rusted Bumper
    As far as I can tell, tom_9109 has the most detailed and correct answer

We've got probably over 100 dents on our car, and the appraisal was $2200 to repair it. (Dentless repair)

I think that's bullshit.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

What's bullshit about that? The fact that you wanted more money?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Accord Coupe

Originally posted by Z_Fan
    We've got probably over 100 dents on our car, and the appraisal was $2200 to repair it. (Dentless repair)

I think that's bullshit.
    Can you pm me where you got your quote, I will probably take the $5k and see how much thsse guys would charge to fix.

Anyone know if there is an issue if I eventually traded the car in down the road...if the stealership doesn't inquire about a previous claim, I wouldn't bring it up...where as if I sold privately I would be upfront with a buyer.

My Ride
    RHD-S13/LHD-S13

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
    I'd take the $5g in a heartbeat.
    Why do I keep highlighting your sig

Anyway, if you see yourself keeping the car for a while and it doesn't bother you too much, take the cash. If you don't, I'd get it fixed.