Quantcast
Vinyl wrap my car - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Vinyl wrap my car

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Originally posted by rage2
    Last time I had a car completely repainted, it was a $13k job. That wasn't even a color change.

My Ride
    Rear Wheel Drive

I dunno where you guys are getting $5k quotes to repaint a car. Last time I had a car completely repainted, it was a $13k job. That wasn't even a color change.

Very true, expensive..

Using Vinyl wrap is an alternate option; for those that want to completely change the body colour:

Cost to change from black to white paint, by professional painting can cost too much for some people. (even higher for matte white paint) For example a respray and finish of a bumper can cost anywhere from $400-1500 depending on the desired finish, quality, coats etc. Vinyl can start from base TCT graphics (not recommended) $100 to avery / 3M 1080 (highly recommended) $250 for the best possible wrap (assuming enough warp to cover entire bumper)

Autobody paint vehicle
    ----------------------
    Cost: $10000-$15000 (est.)
    Type: Permanent paint
    Advantage: Infinite paint combinations
    Disadvantage: Removal of original OEM paint
    Life: Paint should last lifetime of vehicle
    Expect: New paint normally exposed to environment, might as well do vinyl protection
    Experience: requires professional tools and experience

Vinyl Wrap vehicle DIY
    ----------------------
    Cost: $1000-$1500 (est.)
    Type: Removable to show original paint
    Advantage: cost, color change, sections can be redone, preservation of OEM paint, additional layers for more protection if necessary.
    Disadvantage: very limited color selection, DIY is a learning process.
    Life: 6-10 year life
    Expect: Substrate wrap now exposed to environment
    Experience: little, easy and simple to wrap
    <signature has not been setup>

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

I dunno where you guys are getting $5k quotes to repaint a car. Last time I had a car completely repainted, it was a $13k job. That wasn't even a color change.
    Because they go to shops that mask and spray a car, not ones that remove every light, window, moulding and door/trunk panel and actually do it right.

(even though I'm positive that was essentially a rhetorical question)
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

Originally posted by star-k

Vinyl Wrap vehicle DIY
    ----------------------
    Cost: $1000-$1500 (est.)

Experience: little, easy and simple to wrap
    I don't know where you're getting your info from or wat industry you're in but you're out to lunch.

First of all, not a single shop will wrap your car for this price (I'm assuming the cost posted is with labour because for your paint comparison it was $10-15000). Second, I have 2 vehicles wrapped, I did both and it's not that easy, try doing a bumper, grill, etc. It's really time consuming and is something you have to be skilled at to do right.

If you can find someone who will do a great job, thinks it's easy and will cover all materials for $1500 then send them my way, they'll have a life long customer and I can refer a ton of business their way.
    We stopped checking for monsters under our beds when we realized they were inside us.

FYI, DIY means "Do It Yourself"

FYI means "For Your Information"

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Originally posted by Mibz
    FYI, DIY means &quot;Do It Yourself&quot;

FYI means &quot;For Your Information&quot;
    WTF?

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

nice

My Ride
    Exploded.

LOL nice catch.

I wanted to get my car "repainted" but for $5k, it's technically a "touchup"; just lightly sand then paint on top of it.

Too rich for my blood.

My Ride
    Rear Wheel Drive

Originally posted by ddduke

I don't know where you're getting your info from or wat industry you're in but you're out to lunch.

First of all, not a single shop will wrap your car for this price (I'm assuming the cost posted is with labour because for your paint comparison it was $10-15000). Second, I have 2 vehicles wrapped, I did both and it's not that easy, try doing a bumper, grill, etc. It's really time consuming and is something you have to be skilled at to do right.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ^ this is totally correct (taking the vehicle to the shop). I was mentioning about DIY. So i'm really showing how much (estimated only) costs are.. again DIY.

If you can find someone who will do a great job, thinks it's easy and will cover all materials for $1500 then send them my way, they'll have a life long customer and I can refer a ton of business their way.
    ^I will post pictures once the wrap is complete.

DIY = Do it yourself. Hence the cost of the material is all I am paying for. and so far the costs are at approx $900 total, then again the S2000 is a small vehicle. So not much material may be required to wrap. And you are right it does costs much higher.. that is if your paying for someone else to do it.

You can start with smaller items and work to see how the substrate behaves etc. Build experience and you can do it compeltely yourself. I've already started on the project and it will be done in a week. (evenings only)

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

Sorry, I missed this. But you can't compare a $15k pro paint job to a DIY vynil wrap. His whole point is still bullshit.

I can go buy a spray gun from PA, get paint pre mixed and paint my car for under $1000.
    Last edited by ddduke; 02-04-2012 at 03:07 PM.
    We stopped checking for monsters under our beds when we realized they were inside us.

I don't know shit about the topic at hand, I just wanted to be funny :P

EDIT: I should just make that my sig...

My Ride
    Rear Wheel Drive

Sorry, I missed this. But you can't compare a $15k pro paint job to a DIY vynil wrap. His whole point is still bullshit.

I can go buy a spray gun from PA, get paint pre mixed and paint my car for under $1000.
    .. We are talking about an option to change the color / pigment of a vehicle. it's again an option. (re-read)

Why is it "bullshit"?

The "Point" is to achieve a different pigment, vinyl happens to be a viable option to exercise. Vinyl is NOT a paint job, it's a wrap.

Perhaps your not quite familiar with some of the reasons why consumers choose vinyl.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

I don't know shit about the topic at hand, I just wanted to be funny :P

EDIT: I should just make that my sig...
    That could be almost everyone sig
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

Originally posted by star-k

.. We are talking about an option to change the color / pigment of a vehicle. it's again an option. (re-read)

Why is it &quot;bullshit&quot;?

The &quot;Point&quot; is to achieve a different pigment, vinyl happens to be a viable option to exercise. Vinyl is NOT a paint job, it's a wrap.

Perhaps your not quite familiar with some of the reasons why consumers choose vinyl.
    I'm not taking a personal shot at you so dont get offended. All i said is that you cant compare pro paint to DIY vynil, because the DIY job wont be the same, if i see your car in person I guarantee that there will be piles of flaws. You can compare pro paint to pro vynil, then your argument will be more accurate, you make it seem like vynil is 10% of paint when really it's 30-40% which is still cheaper but much more expensive then you make it seem.

I do understand vynil and why people use it, thats why my truck and bike are both wrapped and why i'll wrap my next truck too.

You just make it sound so easy which it isnt, not to mention when you are learning you have atleast 5 times the waste because of fuck ups.

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

vynil vynil vynil vynil vynil...
    Dude, you seriously need to get firefox or some browser that points out your obvious spelling errors. This is embarrassing, the correct spelling is even in the thread title...
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

Originally posted by Modelexis

Dude, you seriously need to get firefox or some browser that points out your obvious spelling errors. This is embarrassing, the correct spelling is even in the thread title...

my point still gets across. This isn't fucking english class. This is why so many people don`t want to post here, because douchebags like you completely bypass the point of a post and go straight to picking apart spelling, punctuation, etc.

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

my point still gets across. This isn't fucking english class. This is why so many people don`t want to post here, because douchebags like you completely bypass the point of a post and go straight to picking apart spelling, punctuation, etc.
    I understand what you're saying, and I have nothing to offer the conversation, but if you don't even care to spell words pertaining to the topic in discussion you'll get back what you put in. So if you put out a lazy who gives a shit attitude to everything, you will get people that don't give a shit about what you're actually saying and instead will just suggest you fix your grade school problems and come back when you've sorted that out.

I'm not preaching from any level of perfection, firefox spell check has saved my ass hundreds of times and improved my spelling by leaps.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

My Ride
    49cc Honda bicycle/89 Accord SE-i/59 Impala/93shaq

how is this wrap going to come off? leave it alone.

My Ride
    Rear Wheel Drive

I'm not taking a personal shot at you so dont get offended. All i said is that you cant compare pro paint to DIY vynil, because the DIY job wont be the same, if i see your car in person I guarantee that there will be piles of flaws. You can compare pro paint to pro vynil, then your argument will be more accurate, you make it seem like vynil is 10% of paint when really it's 30-40% which is still cheaper but much more expensive then you make it seem.

I do understand vynil and why people use it, thats why my truck and bike are both wrapped and why i'll wrap my next truck too.

You just make it sound so easy which it isnt, not to mention when you are learning you have atleast 5 times the waste because of fuck ups.

I'm not offended, I simply seek justification from the language used, (was it necessary?) anyways, your right to a certain extent. It's not a comparison, rather an option. Vinyl is much lower cost; you even have it on your vehicles.

Sure there may be piles of flaws, sure there will be mistakes; is it not the way people learn? by doing things correctly and making mistakes? (fixing them along the way / redo?) Its simply a way to create experience; and when you have a lot of experience, you can be considered a pro (You can charge for your work furnished) So, I'm willing to make the trial and error to complete my product to a desired state; and if/when an individual can become a pro, they would surely teach it to other people.

Yourright, doing anything the first time is not easy, or it can also be easy, depends what the state of mind is. So to avoid headache and error, I'd say follow this philosophy:

If you want it cheap and fast, it won't be accurate/reliable
    if you want it Cheap and accurate/reliable, it won't be fast.
    If you want it fast and accurate/reliable, it' won't be cheap

The above thinking can apply to tuning as well.

Either way, the project will be done as soon as I have time away from the office, and I'm going to happy to share photos.
    Last edited by star-k; 04-30-2012 at 09:55 PM.

Vinyl wrap fad is not done and over wit yet? lol

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast