Quantcast
Question on importing parts - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Question on importing parts

My Ride
    88 solownoma

Default Question on importing parts

I am going to be shipping some parts to sweet grass, montana that i bought off someone in the states and then driving down across to pick them up

just wondering if anyone else has done this before and any tips they might have?
    what are they going to charge me?
    and is this cheaper route to take then getting the shipped directly to me?

its a set of wheels that is a private sale

My Ride
    F355 Challenge/996TT/FD3S/968 Turbo/NSX

Bring your vaseline and rubber gloves......then look for an agent with small hands and a sensitive touch.

Seriously though, they are going to ask you how you found out about the wheels. Forget showing a bill of sale as they won't believe it's real. They will want to know where you heard about them. If you found them on the internet they are going to ask you where and make you show them on a computer.

That has been my experiences with the border when bringing cars across. Maybe things are not as bad for smaller items but I suspect that you are going to be asked. For example, I bought $10k worth of Martin Logans and had them shipped to the border. I had to show them the e-bay auctions to prove what I paid for them. The only reason I didn't ship them to Calgary was their size - FedEx didn't want take them and I ran out of options that included tracking. I have shipped wheels to Calgary though with no problems and would do so again if I had to.

P.S. Taxes wise you will pay 5% GST and the duty will depend upon where they are made. If made in the USA there is no duty. Japan and Germany I believe are 7%.
    Last edited by soloracer; 11-01-2010 at 07:31 PM.

My Ride
    UCF11

i have done it a few times and i have only had to pay gst. i have always just bought parts and told them they are car parts i bought online. i show them an ebay recipt or whatever the seller sends with the parts or even a paypal recipt once paid my gst and been on my way. i have never been asked where the parts were made.

My Ride

I used to bring a bunch of stuff over back east, and once I had a 'funny' bill of sale saying the price was lower than I paid so I would pay less duty/taxes.... and after that, they ripped my car apart for the next few times and searched myself and my passengers. Not worth it.

Lately at Sweetgrass, they have just waved me through without having to pay anything (but I had all receipts and was fully prepared to do so). It all has to do with how you act, how busy the border is at the time, and their mood at the moment.

I'm currently in the same situation as you Moose. Just wondering how it went at the border. Also, where did you ship the parts to in Sweetgrass? Was it a p.o box or a friend's address? If anyone has any suggestions on how to get my parts across I'd really appreciate it!
    Thanks

My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '18 Tundra

Quote Originally Posted by Shameless View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm currently in the same situation as you Moose. Just wondering how it went at the border. Also, where did you ship the parts to in Sweetgrass? Was it a p.o box or a friend's address? If anyone has any suggestions on how to get my parts across I'd really appreciate it!
    Thanks
    9 year old thread man. You ship to an address of the shipping outlet. I've used Montana Shipping Outlet (MSO). Just google them for the address and payment break down. It's super easy

Quote Originally Posted by Shameless View Post
    Thanks
    Try DYK Post. I used them to order some stuff that woudl only ship to the US.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Sweet Necro-bump.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

This thread is older than my kids!

It's funny to read that post about getting screwed over though... I'm down in Lethbridge & used to do this all the time - Sometimes weekly when the dollar was at par & never once had an issue, just bring your paperwork. I drop shipped everything from $5 kids toys to $10k worth of kitchen renos from Home Depot.

First call or email the outlet of choice - They need to have you on file to assign your packages to an account (don't just ship them something)
    Second, pre-print all invoices/auction receipts/etc - It will save you a ton of time being organized when you get to the border.

Only time I ever had additional questions was when Tirerack didn't include the original Kumho tire sales slips since I had a set mounted and shipped. They wanted to know how to assign the taxes & had no info on country of origin. Quick Google told us Korea, but in the end he just flagged it as wherever the Tirerack shipping address was, so even better.
    Originally posted by killramos
    It's a Chrysler, it won't last long enough to depreciate.

Thanks man! I know it's an old thread, was worried I wouldn't get a response but here we are! ��

- - - Updated - - -

I'll check them out! I appreciate the help! ��

My Ride
    1999 Impreza hybrid CLOSED DECK!

Hi guys,

I am looking at bringing an engine down to the states to clean up and install pistons, etc... How do I prove it was my engine and serviced only. Not at a shop, it wi.ll be serviced by a friend.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by HOK View Post
    Hi guys,

I am looking at bringing an engine down to the states to clean up and install pistons, etc... How do I prove it was my engine and serviced only. Not at a shop, it wi.ll be serviced by a friend.
    I'm not sure but I'm guessing you'll have to maybe fill out paperwork on the way into USA indicating that you're "temporarily importing" that engine into AmericaTown. When you return, you can show the Canucks that.
    I have no idea, but I don't think my theory is too crazy.