Quantcast
Best iPhone hard case? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Best iPhone hard case?

Default Best iPhone hard case?

I did a search but only found threads about screen protectors.

I have the ZAGG Invisible sheild and have been happy with it other than the edges which have all slowly peeled off.

Anyways, since I dropped my phone and broke the glass on the screen recently, I figured I would get a little better protection.

Any recommendations for a slim, tough, hard case for a 3Gs? It can't be rubbery or silicone because then it will collect lint/dust and can't easily be taken in and out of my pocket. Again, because I usually keep it in my front pocket it needs to be as slim as possible.

This one looked pretty good to me, but I haven't seen any live:

http://www.otterbox.com/iPhone-3G-/-...efault,pd.html

or this:

http://www.otterbox.com/iPhone-3G-/-...e-3g-3gs-cases

The Defender one looks like it might be a bit bulky.

I can't tell if they have silicone on them though, it looks like they do even though the description says polycarbonate.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 11-03-2010 at 11:05 AM.

I used to use the Incase Slider and it was amazing. This case with a decent anti glare screen protector made my 3gs almost indestructable. I recommend it to anyone that is looking for a case after they smash their screen.

My Ride
    is Turbocharged.

the otterbox's are definately the best, they are able survive nuclear warfare.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

I have the Speck Pixelskin HD. I like it and it's not as bulky looking as the otterbox ones.

Do the silicon corners of the otterbox stick to the insides of pockets?

I am interested in the Commuter, not the Defender or Commuter TL.

I also do not believe these things cost $50 lol.

My Ride
    V8s

The defender IS bulky, but it will definitely survive nuclear warfare, as stated above. I havent tried the commuter for the 3gs, but I had a iphone 4 in my pocket yesterday with the commuter on it, and it was barely different than the regular phone, and hardly stuck when I pulled it out (I wear fitted jeans as well, not baggy). I'm a huge advocate for the otterbox cases, despite the high cost.

Seriously though, whats $50 to protect a phone with a replacement cost upwards of $500?

Originally posted by cjblair
    The defender IS bulky, but it will definitely survive nuclear warfare, as stated above. I havent tried the commuter for the 3gs, but I had a iphone 4 in my pocket yesterday with the commuter on it, and it was barely different than the regular phone, and hardly stuck when I pulled it out (I wear fitted jeans as well, not baggy). I'm a huge advocate for the otterbox cases, despite the high cost.

Seriously though, whats $50 to protect a phone with a replacement cost upwards of $500?
    Well I just dropped my phone on concrete, the glass screen cover broke and thats it. $50 to save $100 is more how I see it haha, but still worth it because I will probably drop it at least once more in its lifetime.

Originally posted by InLoveWitRSX
    the otterbox's are definately the best, they are able survive nuclear warfare.
    +1

My Ride
    Acura TL, 2016 Yamaha FZ-07

If our both of our schedule works, I've got a bunch of new cases left from my old iphone 3G that I can give to you for free. Just one case per member though while supplies last. I'm pretty sure it will fit the 3GS as I just gave my co-worker one for his 3GS. PM me if you're interested.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

Here's a picture of the cases I've got. I'd have to double check what I have left when I get home tonight from work.
    Last edited by JordanAndrew; 11-03-2010 at 11:44 PM.

I ordered an Otterbox Commuter for $29. In town they all seemed to be $50.

And JordanAndrew, thanks for the offer - I ordered before I saw your post but I'm sure there will be no shortage of people to take advantage of your offer!

My Ride
    02 audi a4

otterbox FTW
    Originally posted by max_boost

I am a member of Beyond.ca, don't you dare try to scam me as we will hunt your ass down and F you up haha

Just wanted to post an update here, I got an Otterbox Commuter as planned (FINALLY arrived...Canada Post lost it). I'm really happy with it. Slides in/out of the pocket easily, it's not bulky, and the silicone doesn't gather much lint at all (it's not sticky like the cheap cases). I paid $30 for it at gocellular.ca (good company BTW, guy running it is very helpful)

Something very strange has happened though...I have better reception. I now get reception in places I never used to, like my parkade, locker room at the gym, etc. Anyone else experienced this? I'm happy about it, just curious why this may be. It's a 3Gs, not an iPhone 4 where the case is supposed to help reception. Any thoughts?

I bought one off ebay for 99 cents (including shipping). It's not 'hard' but it's pretty damn close. I'm like you and I hate the soft ones that collect dust/are a pain to take out of your pocket, and I found this one to be really good. It also has a big opening at the bottom, so you can actually plug in third party devices/cables/docks (unlike apple's where only apple peripherals fit). Check it out... you really can't go wrong for 99 cents.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...#ht_2367wt_901

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    Just wanted to post an update here, I got an Otterbox Commuter as planned (FINALLY arrived...Canada Post lost it). I'm really happy with it. Slides in/out of the pocket easily, it's not bulky, and the silicone doesn't gather much lint at all (it's not sticky like the cheap cases). I paid $30 for it at gocellular.ca (good company BTW, guy running it is very helpful)

Something very strange has happened though...I have better reception. I now get reception in places I never used to, like my parkade, locker room at the gym, etc. Anyone else experienced this? I'm happy about it, just curious why this may be. It's a 3Gs, not an iPhone 4 where the case is supposed to help reception. Any thoughts?
    The materials from the case is amplifying your reception... I can't think of any other explanation.

My Ride
    Avalanche/Nightrod

I have a Mophie Juice Pack air, which is awesome and adds double the battery life while protecting the iphone. I paid $100 at bestbuy but I think they're like $40 on mophie.com. They do make the phone a tad bit bigger though which isn't an issue for me.

My Ride
    STi

http://droconcepts.com/carbonfiberiphone3Gcase.html

I wanted to get that except the iphone 4 version but definitely cannot justify spending 100 bucks on an iphone case.