Quantcast
Cops making 6 figures + - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Cops making 6 figures +

Default Cops making 6 figures +

Not bad for a group of guys who got d's in High school eh?

http://www.calgarysun.com/news/alber.../16011731.html

I never realized their pay was so high. Does everyone here agree with it?
    BOOOOOya!!!

what im really confused about is that it seems that cops get a seemingly endless amount of OT, i work for the city as well, and my bosses arent allowed to delegate any OT basically, so we fall behind, and spends days or weeks trying to catch back up. I just dont beleive that all that OT can REALLY be justified, i understand that if your at a call doing something (likely writing traffic tixs) that some element of OT can be earned ( you wont just head back the second your shift ends), same for firefighters, cant leave a burning house cuz your shift ends, but "The force racked up some 131,000 overtime hours in 2009 ", thats just redic. And also "Taxpayer watchdog Scott Hennig isn’t offended to hear a top detective pulls six figures, especially factoring in $94,000 was for OT hours.", thats gotta be more then half his wage from just OT, thats UNREAL! Our dept prolly pulls in like 1 percent of the number of OT hours the cops have, this just needs to be trimmed IMO
    Originally posted by Modelexis
    If I have questions about my phone bill, I don't post it on beyond, I call telus.
    Originally posted by D911
    worst part is definitely when the dudes smacking it with his dick like that inside out anus owes his dick some money.
    the crap you find when you dig through ask leo

some guys don't deserve it. traffic officers fit this IMHO.
    some really do.

plus if their job didn't pay well it would be more reason for them to take hand outs and bribes.
    2011 Chevy Colorado Z71 - 5.3L LH9 - Daily driver
    2003 Mazda B4000 on 35s

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Considering much of it is for overtime, they deserve to be paid.

... but with that said, would the money not be better spent to have a sufficient police force that overtime will not be as necessary?

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

The reason so much OT is earned is because there are not enough officers. Same with people that are nurses. Because of insufficient budgets/not enough "job" openings, they can't hire enough people. But since the work MUST be done (policing and nursing are kind of mission critical things afterall), they just rack up ginourmous amounts of OT, which actually leaves us in a shittier position than if we simply budgeted/hired appropriately.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Some of these guys are in a considerably risker situationthan Joe suit n' tie and I think that justifies a 'danger pay' if you will. Also depends on the level of responsibility that too justifies higher pay.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    E46

Originally posted by msommers
    Some of these guys are in a considerably risker situationthan Joe suit n' tie and I think that justifies a 'danger pay' if you will. Also depends on the level of responsibility that too justifies higher pay.
    I agree. They do an excellent job and deal with a lot of shit. I think most of them deserve every penny.

This is what is stupid. YES, OT is required BUT if your salary doubles due to OT...than there is a flaw here. A single person is pulling 2x as much hours. Now, I would say scrap OT and hire 2 officers instead of 1 with a ton of OT pay. THat way the force coverage is DOUBLE.

So many stupid decisions made in government its funny.

do u know how many donuts 6 figures can buy you a year?
    Originally posted by R!zz0
    I would have helped you out but i am 5'6 160 pounds. I have a hard time turning my steering wheel in my car. So I'll shit myself if i carry a 65" plasma.

well it was this or McDees for myself, so I made the right decision. Question is for all the haters that have a better education than my 8th grade one, why don't you come show us how it's done?
    "It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong....I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives.

Originally posted by KappaSigma
    This is what is stupid. YES, OT is required BUT if your salary doubles due to OT...than there is a flaw here. A single person is pulling 2x as much hours. Now, I would say scrap OT and hire 2 officers instead of 1 with a ton of OT pay. THat way the force coverage is DOUBLE.

So many stupid decisions made in government its funny.

I also don't think it's fair to the officers to be working these crazy hours. There is no way they can be functioning at 100% pulling 16+ hour shifts. Not only that I would say it is dangerous having guys on the road that have been awake that many hours.
    BOOOOOya!!!

My Ride
    anything that comes along

They deserve it, most the officers who are making those incomes are the ones doing the real hard, real stress positions like detectives that are on call 24/7, do rotating nights, evening and day shifts and have to spend lots of time in shady situations and deal with really gruesome scenes.

People don't seem to get the police and actually believe all the stereotypes of them, people in the force with just a high school education are constables permanently, detectives and people with higher ranks all have to have a post-secondary degree.

Also one thing you have to understand with OT is that it isn't always an option of having more officers, if someone is found dead in a ditch due to a bullet wound time is the most important part of solving the case because you obviously have a suspect on the loose. Obviously the person(s) in charge of the case would be doing a BAD job if they just came in at 9 left at 5 everyday and just said "hey, its 5:00pm I don't care if they think they have my suspect and can only hold him for the next two hours, bye".
    Last edited by derpderp; 11-07-2010 at 08:58 PM.

police deserve more cops on the street so they dont HAVE to work 100,000 hours a year of OT. Yes OT is nice at first but I am sure most would rather just be a home than sitting in central booking for 5 hours.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    changes every year

Originally posted by DayGlow
    well it was this or McDees for myself, so I made the right decision. Question is for all the haters that have a better education than my 8th grade one, why don't you come show us how it's done?
    do you REALLY have a grade 8 education? because so does my sister and shes fucking retarded.
    Last edited by 03ozwhip; 11-07-2010 at 09:20 PM.

Originally posted by 03ozwhip

do you REALLY have a grade 8 education? because if you do, so does my sister and shes fucking retarded.
    Other Requirements

18 years of age.
    Must have Canadian Citizenship or legal permanent status prior to employment.
    Excellent health with no medical conditions that would restrict your ability to safely complete recruit training and perform all aspects of police work.
    Completion of High School Diploma or equivalent.
    Possess a fully licensed Class 5 driver's license [must NOT be a Graduated Driver's License] with no more than five demerit points. Out of province applicants should be sure that they possess the equivalent of this unrestricted drivers permit prior to submitting their application.
    Meet Visual Acuity standards.
    No criminal convictions for which a pardon has not been granted.
    No criminal charges pending before the courts.
    No criminal activity within at least three years preceding application including any detected or undetected crime and/or involvement at any level, including illegal drugs.
    Strong credit rating.
    Must be one year clear of discharge date from a bankruptcy.
    Preferred Attributes

Minimum of two years post secondary education and/or consistent employment history
    Volunteer experience in the community.
    Work experience involving a position of responsibility and trust.
    Duties that involve significant interaction with the public.
    Applied knowledge of computers, including but not limited to, MS Windows, Word, Outlook, etc, and basic typing skills.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    changes every year

^^^oh good, im glad to know someone like my sister isnt patrolling our streets. more like someone like me lol off topic sort of, i also heard that they also take a lie detector before going in, is that true, does anyone knoe?

Originally posted by 03ozwhip
    ^^^oh good, im glad to know someone like my sister isnt patrolling our streets. more like someone like me lol off topic sort of, i also heard that they also take a lie detector before going in, is that true, does anyone knoe?
    Yes, there is a polygraph. Basically what happens is you fill out a giant sheet (over time) about everything bad you've ever done. Then, you are asked questions based on what you said you've done, such as "are you leaving anything out about (insert story here)". They are looking for signs that you might be a psycho, the kinds of people you hang out with, your drug use history, how often you drink, if you've ever had certain "bad" thoughts (i.e. about kids and such), etc.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by calgary403

I also don't think it's fair to the officers to be working these crazy hours. There is no way they can be functioning at 100% pulling 16+ hour shifts. Not only that I would say it is dangerous having guys on the road that have been awake that many hours.
    It's probably justified since the City ask for a low budget which means less officers. Then shit still need to get done and OT get pulled from other funds.

Whatever, there may be one or two don't deserves it but the same apply in every organization.

Originally posted by derpderp

Obviously the person(s) in charge of the case would be doing a BAD job if they just came in at 9 left at 5 everyday and just said "hey, its 5:00pm I don't care if they think they have my suspect and can only hold him for the next two hours, bye".
    right, because this is the opinion of ppl who dont think the police should be getting 130,000 hours in OT, exactly this, thank you.

let me put out a completely hypothetical situation that would never happen in a million years because police also happen to be the most honest and humble individuals in the world. But lets just say you work a standard 9.5 hour day , pretty well sitting around all day doing papework, going to court or just driving around giving exhaust tickets, but you KNOW full well, that after your 9.5 hour day, you will be earning double time wage, bumping you up to 70-100$/hr, and knowing that your OT is basically COMPLETELY unregulated you can earn this wage as much and for however long you'd like, dont you think you MAY POSSIBLY dog-fuck alittle harder, you know, REALLY stretch your days out, ie you can EASILY DOUBLE your salary if you just slow down alil. Of course police wouldnt do this, they arent after all human, they are angels sent from the heavens, the most honest ppl that exist. I know that you would like to think that these ppl getting overtime are those working into the night STRUGGLING to crack a childs murder case wide open, and im sure SOME police out there are doing this, and its well deserved, but lets be honest, i bet 90% of this OT comes from dog-fuckers abusing the shit out of the system.
    Originally posted by Modelexis
    If I have questions about my phone bill, I don't post it on beyond, I call telus.
    Originally posted by D911
    worst part is definitely when the dudes smacking it with his dick like that inside out anus owes his dick some money.
    the crap you find when you dig through ask leo

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 06-22-2019 at 10:15 AM.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast