Quantcast
Cops making 6 figures + - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Cops making 6 figures +

Originally posted by atgilchrist
    Hiring new cops is a HUGE expense, versus an average of ~80 hrs of OT per year per cop (as calculated on the last page of this thread). Equipment, training, benefits, supplies would easily dwarf OT costs.

I don't believe the Union has any input as to # of new hires, that's all got to do with the amount of funding the CPS receives.

But roughing up hobos for change would be a sweet perk.
    lol, i really dont think it would dwarf it at all, 131,000 hrs X doubletime (we can say ~100$/hr) = 13,100,000$ in OT/year, i cant imagine hiring a few more cops each year to exceed 13 million dollars in the cost of equipment, training, benefits and supplies
    Originally posted by Modelexis
    If I have questions about my phone bill, I don't post it on beyond, I call telus.
    Originally posted by D911
    worst part is definitely when the dudes smacking it with his dick like that inside out anus owes his dick some money.
    the crap you find when you dig through ask leo

My Ride
    G6

What's with everyone comparing jobs like Telus or hockey player to a cop? The first two are PRIVATE INDUSTRY jobs; not paid by taxpayers. Government jobs should have a cap because taxpayers pay for them, not consumers who dictate salaries in private industries.

People complaining about the speed limits. I will agree they are horribly wrong in some cases. However they are not set by the CPS they are either set by the city or AIT. Now we both know how forward thinking and willing to take risks THOSE two organisations are....

Originally posted by NuclearPizzaMan
    This happens a lot when you have a unionized work force (especially a government one) Where they restrict the number of workers they can hire, but still need to cover X hours. All of a sudden you are paying more for an overstretched work force! go team.

Look at how people in the Health System get paid, it's the same damn thing.

I'd love to see a breakdown of OT payment vs the cost of hiring new cops.
    +1
    Last edited by Cos; 11-08-2010 at 04:45 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

Originally posted by Feruk
    What's with everyone comparing jobs like Telus or hockey player to a cop? The first two are PRIVATE INDUSTRY jobs; not paid by taxpayers. Government jobs should have a cap because taxpayers pay for them, not consumers who dictate salaries in private industries.
    Calgary on a whole has high wages and as such, our public sector employees need to be paid enough in order to compete with the private sector.

If this was butt-fuck nowhere, where the average person makes $30k a year, there would be no need to pay a cop $100k... As it is, Calgary police make a fair wage.

So police or firemen or garbage workers or bus drivers should be capped if they're working for a government? I call B.S. on that - the work they do is as equally valuable as compared to someone doing it in the private industry. Why should a person employed by a government be paid less to do the same work? Most of this work is negotiated through bargained settlements with the respective union organizations and as such, our elected officials should be setting policies that the city negotiators can follow in reaching an agreement - no different than in many private organization. Enmax would be a prime example - should their workers be paid less than ATCO's or TELUS just because Enmax is owned by the city of Calgary?
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    NC1

Agree or disagree, in this town, you are paid what you are worth.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    E.L

I don't mind the fact that some pull in 6 figures with working OT. If you really think about it, the shift work isn't exactly a walk in the park. Its hard on the body. Working odd hours, long shifts, SNS activation, bad eatting habits. I wouldn't doubt that will take atleast 10 good years out of your life. That kinda stuff also affects family life, it shouldn't be a surprise that law enforcement have a pretty high level of divorces and substance abuse problems (drinking). Plus the clients that they deal with on a daily basis isn't exactly the greatest, cleanest, and most pleasant people around.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Originally posted by JustGo
    Every cop I know can't wait to get the hell home when it's quitting time.
    And there is the reason for more officers than forcing these men and women to work over-time. People are going to get burnt out, start not giving a shit and become jaded from the same bullshit day in, day out. In the end, we have a tired, apathetic police force. Great.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    '04 Solara, and planks of hardrock maple.

Originally posted by xxviet
    do u know how many donuts 6 figures can buy you a year?
    Approx 7500 boxes of a dozen donuts @ $100,000/y.
    Last edited by Pollywog; 11-08-2010 at 07:01 PM.

My Ride
    something green

Originally posted by speedog
    So police or firemen or garbage workers or bus drivers should be capped if they're working for a government? I call B.S. on that - the work they do is as equally valuable as compared to someone doing it in the private industry. Why should a person employed by a government be paid less to do the same work? Most of this work is negotiated through bargained settlements with the respective union organizations and as such, our elected officials should be setting policies that the city negotiators can follow in reaching an agreement - no different than in many private organization. Enmax would be a prime example - should their workers be paid less than ATCO's or TELUS just because Enmax is owned by the city of Calgary?
    Government jobs typically always paid less, it was a trade off for job security, good medical benefits and a slacker existence. Government jobs were always a lot safer in terms of being recession proof, downsizing was never really a reality, on top of that union protection came with it. Less risk,less work, less wage.. But according to media reports their wages have outpaced the private sector over the last 10 year or so, its arguable about whether service has improved or declined.
    The whole idea of the public sector is that you took the higher wages and need for profit out of the equation of a service so you could offer it for the public good at price the general public could afford. The service was typically a necessity, that it was in the best interest of society that everyone would have affordable access to it. If the price goes beyond levels of that of the private sector and excessively burdens those that need and pay, we may as well privatize and let the service fall into the realm of private sector competition to get better value.
    The privatization though of Enmax and Epcor etc is a complete joke. Its public companies operating as private entities that are so deeply sewed into communities with prepaid(by you) infrastructure, no true private company could ever compete with them. And Enmax etc, own such critical infrastructure outright, you have no choice but to use them when you have to access said infrastructure, or pay a service fee for someone else to access. In the end it becomes just a tool to levy more taxes, which the city takes and renames them shareholder dividends, the city being the shareholder.. You don't get to pick who does utility transformer replacements within the city of Calgary..
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

I said it previously in this thread, 1 page back, MOST of police OT is pay duties, which is 3RD PARTY paid jobs, which are to a PRIVATE INDUSTRY, so the police man works his 4 days on, then, offers to work an extra day at a flames game, or a party, or anywhere where police are needed. That establishment pays for the policemans time, not you. The police base salary is technically a joke, and they put in way more hours than most people on here to make less before OT. I have no education and my base pay is more than a police officer, and I respect what they do a hell of alot more than what I do.

My Ride
    anything that comes along

Originally posted by msommers

And there is the reason for more officers than forcing these men and women to work over-time. People are going to get burnt out, start not giving a shit and become jaded from the same bullshit day in, day out. In the end, we have a tired, apathetic police force. Great.
    Or worse asshole traffic cops who start to treat anyone who breaks even the most minor laws to that of murders and rapists.

ooooooookay.....

Yes, there is paid overtime for court that falls on days when a cop is not scheduled to work. We don't get to choose when these court days are, we are served a subpoena. If court falls on a day when you are scheduled to work, you get your regular pay. This is for ALL court dates, not just traffic court. Criminal cases make up the majority!

There is OT for shifts in which you have to stay past your regular 12hrs. For instance, a homicide investigation where continuity of evidence and the crime scene must be maintained, you're going to have to stay late. The entire district can't be expected to sit on a crime scene and not take calls.....Would you rather have no police working the streets than pay out a little OT? Deal with that B&E and aggravated assault yourself then.

I can't speak for traffic cops, but almost every street constable I know HATES giving tickets, however, we are required to. If you're being a giant bag of douche, sure, we could find something to give you grief about. 98% of the population are awesome to deal with, but there's that other 2% (a category in which I'm sure Scuderia falls into) that are complete shitbags. If you have a problem with the cops in Calgary, don't bother calling 911; I'm sure a crackhead would love to help you out.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    maybe your car is trying to tell u to stop ricing it out...u know, in its own little way.
    Originally posted by b_t
    I draw a pentragram on my garage floor, sacrifice a lamb on it, spread the blood everywhere, and park my car there overnight. I tried praying, but it didn't work, so pagan rituals it is.

But then again, thats because I drive a DSM. I personally have found my car very reliable, but thats because I get lamb at a good price.

Originally posted by Scuderia

OMG wow you know my user number. Get a fuckin life, nobody gives a shit how long you've been a cool beyond member for, who are you to tell everyone that's dealt with cops that they're in the wrong. Aren't you some failed actor or something?
    Pssst....it's 10, your mom says you have to go to bed!

Signed,

Your friendly neighbourhood Failed Actor

PS...I said your mom.

Originally posted by mikey_mo_love
    ooooooookay.....

Yes, there is paid overtime for court that falls on days when a cop is not scheduled to work. We don't get to choose when these court days are, we are served a subpoena. If court falls on a day when you are scheduled to work, you get your regular pay. This is for ALL court dates, not just traffic court. Criminal cases make up the majority!

There is OT for shifts in which you have to stay past your regular 12hrs. For instance, a homicide investigation where continuity of evidence and the crime scene must be maintained, you're going to have to stay late. The entire district can't be expected to sit on a crime scene and not take calls.....Would you rather have no police working the streets than pay out a little OT? Deal with that B&E and aggravated assault yourself then.

I can't speak for traffic cops, but almost every street constable I know HATES giving tickets, however, we are required to. If you're being a giant bag of douche, sure, we could find something to give you grief about. 98% of the population are awesome to deal with, but there's that other 2% (a category in which I'm sure Scuderia falls into) that are complete shitbags. If you have a problem with the cops in Calgary, don't bother calling 911; I'm sure a crackhead would love to help you out.
    LOL I'm glad another one of Calgary's finest has chimed in. Before we begin, I'd just like to say a couple of things. Obviously, you're a cop. Congrats. Now, if you're a constable, detective, desk jockey, or anything other than the traffic division, good for you, I hope you became a cop to help society rid itself of criminals and dirtbags, not because you were too fucking stupid to figure out what an atom was, how to use alliteration, and what 2x+4y is. I can't honestly say anything about your work ethic because I don't know you, but I hope you're not one of those fucking useless pieces of shit who shows up at a crime scene, walks around, plays with his chin hair, scratches his head, and inevitably begins the "well there's nothing we can do for you, but..." speech. Now, how do I know you're a douche? Well, even if you were acting like Mother Theresa, and some asshole was giving you a god awful hard time for no reason, you shouldn't PURPOSELY find a reason to give him a ticket. That's like me saying a customer giving a waiter a hard time in a restaraunt deserves jizz in his food. If that's how you want to play, fine, let me know what restaraunts you frequent and I'd be happy to give your wife a plate full of jizz. This exact confession just proves that most of you fuckheads go around pms'ing on normal people, and me forking out $300 in fines all depends on your mood swings and what you think of my haircut. Now, understandably, anyone who gets a ticket is a piece of shit outlaw with a blatant disregard for the all holy traffic law, according to ZeroAMG and some others. I guess dealing with satanic "shitbags" like us really makes you deserve all that overtime pay

On a serious note, I stand by what I said, a big to the officers who actually deserve the OT, I would be happy if they made 7 figures if they're actually putting themselves in danger and snatching criminals off the street. It is 100% fuckin deserved and appreciated. Traffic cops, on the other hand, should be making 35k MAX a year, if there is even a need for their existance at all.

Originally posted by ZorroAMG

Pssst....it's 10, your mom says you have to go to bed!

Signed,

Your friendly neighbourhood Failed Actor

PS...I said your mom.
    Uhh... ha ha? What do you say when the guy telling the joke is the only one laughing?

PS... I was browsing Kijiji and I came across this
    http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-jobs-bar-...AdIdZ241164345
    Let me know how it goes, TTYL.

Scud, out of curiosity, what do you do for a living?
    "It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong....I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives.

I hope you became a cop to help society rid itself of criminals and dirtbags, not because you were too fucking stupid to figure out what an atom was, how to use alliteration, and what 2x+4y is.
    You figured it out! We're all retards without university degrees, and that Junior High science, english, and math you threw at me was way over my head.

Well, even if you were acting like Mother Theresa, and some asshole was giving you a god awful hard time for no reason, you shouldn't PURPOSELY find a reason to give him a ticket.

This exact confession just proves that most of you fuckheads go around pms'ing on normal people, and me forking out $300 in fines all depends on your mood swings and what you think of my haircut.
    You wouldn't be pulled over if you weren't doing anything wrong in the first place.....

Now, understandably, anyone who gets a ticket is a piece of shit outlaw with a blatant disregard for the all holy traffic law, according to ZeroAMG and some others.
    Right....that's exactly what AMG and "others" have said....

On a serious note, I stand by what I said, a big to the officers who actually deserve the OT, I would be happy if they made 7 figures if they're actually putting themselves in danger and snatching criminals off the street. It is 100% fuckin deserved and appreciated.
    I'm glad you're serious about this. I can completely understand why everyone hates on the traffic cops, nobody likes getting tickets. Hell, I even got a ticket a few months back from traffic. You just shouldn't paint all police officers with the same brush....
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    maybe your car is trying to tell u to stop ricing it out...u know, in its own little way.
    Originally posted by b_t
    I draw a pentragram on my garage floor, sacrifice a lamb on it, spread the blood everywhere, and park my car there overnight. I tried praying, but it didn't work, so pagan rituals it is.

But then again, thats because I drive a DSM. I personally have found my car very reliable, but thats because I get lamb at a good price.

My Ride
    Mazda 3 GT

LOL I'm glad another one of Calgary's finest has chimed in. Before we begin, I'd just like to say a couple of things. Obviously, you're a cop. Congrats. Now, if you're a constable, detective, desk jockey, or anything other than the traffic division, good for you, I hope you became a cop to help society rid itself of criminals and dirtbags, not because you were too fucking stupid to figure out what an atom was, how to use alliteration, and what 2x+4y is. I can't honestly say anything about your work ethic because I don't know you, but I hope you're not one of those fucking useless pieces of shit who shows up at a crime scene, walks around, plays with his chin hair, scratches his head, and inevitably begins the "well there's nothing we can do for you, but..." speech. Now, how do I know you're a douche? Well, even if you were acting like Mother Theresa, and some asshole was giving you a god awful hard time for no reason, you shouldn't PURPOSELY find a reason to give him a ticket. That's like me saying a customer giving a waiter a hard time in a restaraunt deserves jizz in his food. If that's how you want to play, fine, let me know what restaraunts you frequent and I'd be happy to give your wife a plate full of jizz. This exact confession just proves that most of you fuckheads go around pms'ing on normal people, and me forking out $300 in fines all depends on your mood swings and what you think of my haircut. Now, understandably, anyone who gets a ticket is a piece of shit outlaw with a blatant disregard for the all holy traffic law, according to ZeroAMG and some others. I guess dealing with satanic "shitbags" like us really makes you deserve all that overtime pay
    Scuderia, 2x+4y = you're a moron.

It would be a waste of time to get into the numerous fallacies and logical black holes in your response, so I won't bother. Somehow, I doubt that it'd make a difference anyways. The one thing I really wanted to point out is that you are drawing really hard lines in the sand here. mikeymolove didn't say he would find things to ticket you for - he said that it could be possible to do. This isn't new news.

If you want to add value to Beyond, shut the fuck up. If you want to promote discussion anyways, do it with your language turned down a few notches. Speaking in extremes and with such an overinflated and cocky tone is not going to get you anywhere.

Prove me wrong about you - respond to this with humility and decorum, and learn to roll with it when people don't agree with your point of view.

My Ride
    Model S

Toma covered things pretty well.

Oddly, I used to defend cops and think that it was juvenile when other people hated on them. They have done a great job of turning that good-by-default to bitterness. I try to judge each on their own merits, but it's no longer "overall good with a few problem guys", its now "overall bad with a few good guys".

Also, Perverse Incentives are a fairly well-understood area of behavioral economics. It amazes and frustrates me that traffic enforcement has it so horribly wrong, especially in Alberta.

It doesn't matter what cop you talked to, what you would rather do with YOUR Saturday, or anything else. If there is an incentive to engage in unethical behavior, and it is available to a large group of people, it WILL be abused. More importantly, if you do not want your ethics called into question, it's in everybody's best interest to eliminate such incentives. You can tell which ones were the shitheads, because they oppose removing the incentive that they claimed to not be taking advantage of.

Since those that actually make the laws get a cut, it may not technically be perverse incentives in this case, but rather straight up conflict of interest and corruption. This is also why Calgary disregards the safety of the citizens in exchange for a few million dollars via the red light cameras, instead of the flashing yellow warning light or the countdown displays.

In short - Offer people money to harass innocents, and people will take you up on that offer.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast