Quantcast
Gold is King. - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Gold is King.

My Ride
    07 Ruckus, 05 Echo

It's not that gold is at an all time high, it's that paper currency, particularly US dollars, are at an all time low.

Originally posted by ZenOps

Why dont we?

I am a realist.
    Do you work for the government of Canada?

To maintain the integrity of paper currencies and not have runaway blatant printing of money:

The best thing to peg world currencies to in a modern futuristic society... Is not really gold, but power.

That is power in Gigajoules. Electricity, oil, etc. $20 bill = backed with 1GJ of energy, or something to that effect.

But the 4/5ths of the world is not ready for that. They still need a tangible good that they can fit in their pocket when the barbarians are breaking down the gate.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 11-09-2010 at 09:38 AM.
    Cocoa $12,000 per ton.

Originally posted by mx73someday
    It's not that gold is at an all time high, it's that paper currency, particularly US dollars, are at an all time low.

Do you work for the government of Canada?
    Heh.

The sad thing is: That is exactly what a govt official sounds like nowadays. They don't even have to bring out the printing presses anymore - they simply just correct numbers electronically and wipe out debt with a keystroke.
    Cocoa $12,000 per ton.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Originally posted by ZenOps

Too hard to hoard food, it only lasts a day to a half year or so. As an investment purpose for a prolonged economic downturn, food will only get you so far.

Like Homer Simpson and his pumpkin futures.

Land to grow food is a bad value too - as all governments still tax land. One of the lessons of the 30's. A loaf of bread can still cost $100 billion Zimbabwean dollars and I'd still rather have the loaf, but I'd much rather have a ounce of gold and leave the country with it...

Liquidity means you can run if you have to and re-establish roots wherever you want. And you don't want to be carrying a pound of bread, you want to ideally be carrying - well to be honest - a pound of marijuana would be best (if you don't get caught that is)

Legally: A 400oz gold bar (definitely carryable) would be worth $560,000 today.

Moving to an ultra low density population country is usually what elites do when things turn really, really bad.
    A lot of good a hunk of gold is going to do you if you can't buy anything with it.

Someone has to cultivate the land and grow the crops. You think that loaf of bread just magically appears on the grocery shelf?

Water & Food should be the two most valuable items on this planet. Without out we would all die!

Originally posted by 89coupe

A lot of good a hunk of gold is going to do you if you can't buy anything with it.

Someone has to cultivate the land and grow the crops. You think that loaf of bread just magically appears on the grocery shelf?

Water & Food should be the two most valuable items on this planet. Without out we would all die!
    Thats why we should invade Greenland. The glacier there is huge, $1 per litre! Lots of land to grow food too.

Lets get some F-35's and do a couple of flybys to drive them out

I hear Greenlands head of state actually owns her own house *shocker*
    Cocoa $12,000 per ton.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Farmers have the power IMO. If the world were to go tits up, the farmers would be the survivors, self sustained.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Originally posted by Toma
    It's value can be manipulated by various groups, and governments....
    That's exactly the reason it should be the world standard.....because it can't be controlled by any group. Think about it, if the government wants to value the gold they have at a certain price, you just go somewhere else and get your gold cheaper. They can't control the price of all of it, but with them having the monopoly on printing money, they can control the value of all of that. So it takes the controlling position away from the majority and gives it to the minority.

Farmers have the power IMO. If the world were to go tits up, the farmers would be the survivors, self sustained.
    Ya, until the industrial economy comes in with a couple of shotguns and takes it all away. One of my friends is married to a girl that's crazy about being self sustained, living off the land, not being dependent on oil for when the world falls apart and everyone else is screwed. He said to me, "That's great until someone shows up on the doorstep with a shotgun and then we have nothing."

ZenOps is my favourite read on here, whenever I see a thread by him I always check it out because it's actually interesting instead of some of the stupid worthless garbage I read on the internet. And the gold standard is something I've been very interested in since I first learned about it and figured out how inflation works. Think about it, say our entire economy has a total of $100,000,000 (hypothetical) and it all gets loaned out to various people at interest. The interest to pay back the loan for the entire economy's fiscal supply comes from..........????? There isn't any money left to pay the interest so how does it work? The financial system is based on a mathematical failure and without a gold standard it's ready to go straight down the toilet.
    Last edited by Mar; 11-09-2010 at 11:09 AM.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Originally posted by Mar

Ya, until the industrial economy comes in with a couple of shotguns and takes it all away. One of my friends is married to a girl that's crazy about being self sustained, living off the land, not being dependent on oil for when the world falls apart and everyone else is screwed. He said to me, "That's great until someone shows up on the doorstep with a shotgun and then we have nothing.
    A lot of good a shot gun will do if you don't know how to farm or work for that matter. LOL

You don't think farmers have guns? What do you think they kill coyotes with, shovels?

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

A lot of good a shot gun will do if you don't know how to farm or work for that matter. LOL

You don't think farmers have guns? What do you think they kill coyotes with, shovels?
    Take his food, move onto the next farm....rape and pillage, it worked in the past.

Sure they have guns but not as many as 30 other peoiple do.
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Originally posted by Mar

Take his food, move onto the next farm....rape and pillage, it worked in the past.

Sure they have guns but not as many as 30 other peoiple do.
    The land still needs to be farmed. It doesn't magically produce without back breaking work.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

The land still needs to be farmed. It doesn't magically produce without back breaking work.
    Yes but what I'm saying is the farmer has farmed it already and things are ready to be eaten. At any given time on a farm there are crops ready to go so you show up, take what's there and move on to the next farm. No need to sustain it if you can just take someone else's.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Originally posted by Mar

Yes but what I'm saying is the farmer has farmed it already and things are ready to be eaten. At any given time on a farm there are crops ready to go so you show up, take what's there and move on to the next farm. No need to sustain it if you can just take someone else's.
    Whats ready to be eaten? At any given time? Really?

You mentioned 30 people as well, that's a lot of mouths to feed.

I can tell you really thought this one out...LOL

My Ride
    CRF 250L

Agreed farmers will have power.

SO whats that farmer going to do with 500 acres of corn? Trade it with his buddies that grew 500 acres of wheat, and maybe get some meat from the cattle rancher, and some clothes from the taylor in town.

So after he's provided for his measely needs for himself and his family he still has 498 acres of corn to do what with?????????????????????????????

Fucking sell it to me for gold. Thats what.

Why you don't think gold will buy you anything, is beyond me. What else are people going to use as money once the fiat money system implodes? Another worthless fiat money system? Pig ears? cow patties? Sand dollars?
    TRUTH: it's the new hate speech.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Originally posted by broken_legs

Agreed farmers will have power.

SO whats that farmer going to do with 500 acres of corn? Trade it with his buddies that grew 500 acres of wheat, and maybe get some meat from the cattle rancher, and some clothes from the taylor in town.

So after he's provided for his measely needs for himself and his family he still has 498 acres of corn to do what with?????????????????????????????

Fucking sell it to me for gold. Thats what.

Why you don't think gold will buy you anything, is beyond me. What else are people going to use as money once the fiat money system implodes? Another worthless fiat money system? Pig ears? cow patties? Sand dollars?
    Why does the farmer need to sell his corn to anyone if currency is useless?

He will just produce enough food to maintain his family and livestock. With 500 acres he will have plenty of land to sustain his family for generations.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Whats ready to be eaten? At any given time? Really?

You mentioned 30 people as well, that's a lot of mouths to feed.

I can tell you really thought this one out...LOL
    Why do I have to keep explaining this? Any of the farmers I know always have a crop being harvested, they got one being pulled out while another is being planted and then another one going while they're waiting for that to grow. If they're just sitting around with nothing to do for 3 months at a time then they're a shitty farmer and wouldn't survive in a collapsing economy anyway.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Originally posted by Mar

Why do I have to keep explaining this? Any of the farmers I know always have a crop being harvested, they got one being pulled out while another is being planted and then another one going while they're waiting for that to grow. If they're just sitting around with nothing to do for 3 months at a time then they're a shitty farmer and wouldn't survive in a collapsing economy anyway.
    Oh yah, what crops are they planting right now?

My Ride
    '03 ep3

Originally posted by broken_legs

What else are people going to use as money once the fiat money system implodes? Another worthless fiat money system? Pig ears? cow patties? Sand dollars?

Clearly, the only other solution is Stone of Jordans from Diablo 2.

Mercenaries to this day - never accept paper dollars to invade countries, gold bars are still the defacto standard for buying a 10,000 man army when you are a little "short" on your own army.

I am sure the US paid a lot of mercs off the book to help invade Iraq. Noone truely is worried about invading a cornfield or taking a house in Detriot nowadays, they are much more interested in invading for oil, but you cannot fuel a war with paper, metals are necessary (as is the oil to keep it moving)

If the area happens to have both corn on top and oil underneath (like Wiebo) and maybe beside a glacier, damned if he shouldn't be buying a tank or two to defend it. Or keeping a small stockpile of gold to pay some mercs to defend himself against his own government. Oh wait...

Geographically strategically speaking, Greenland is as important as the Falklands for the US/UK.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 11-09-2010 at 12:19 PM.
    Cocoa $12,000 per ton.

The world isnt going to go back to trading goats and fur coats.

As a farmer, I can say I would do ok, and could survive the rest of my life, if I needed to just live a simple life and get by. But that isnt going to change the fact I want a new car, or a bigger house.

It would have to apocalyptic, not just a failed monetary system to bring people back to that type of life. And it would be a god damn nightmare the first while, while rogue groups roam the earth stealing, killing.. etc.

Its not going to be me out with my hoe in the garden picking carrots and tomatoes, singing a song.

I often think I would have liked to live a couple hundred years ago. I like farming. And I'd like to be a gun slinger. Then I snap back to reality and bump the thermostat up when its chilly.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Oh yah, what crops are they planting right now?

MOO

I don't want to clutter up any more of the thread, I want to read more of what ZenOps has to say on the topic. And for anyone interested on reading about the development of the economy, the gold standard and the introduction of the world banks, pick up a book called 'A Nation Of Counterfieters: Capitalists, Con Men And The Making Of The United States.' It's available on Chapters' website. Highly recommended.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast