Quantcast
MRU Geology vs UofC Geology - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: MRU Geology vs UofC Geology

My Ride
    2007 subaru impreza

Originally posted by Guillermo
    At the U of C, the admission requirements are higher,
    Surprisingly, that isnt the case entirely. UofC requires 72% over 4 core subjects for adult students (2 sciences, math, and engrish.) MRU requires 4 subjects or something like that, but this year it was 79% to get in. They only calculate the average over 2 courses though. Either way, both admission requirements are pretty damn slack (for sciences, I dont know about the requirements for any other programs,) so its all good on that aspect.

Edit: I am pretty sure that I will be going with UofC though. Even if it is just for the name - it does make sense that UofC is valued slightly higher on a resume than MRU.
    Last edited by Gurpy; 11-11-2010 at 11:50 PM.

i have other things besides research and write up those stats to prove my point. if they are not listed (which they should be - they always were when I was looking for schools in the states, but that was ages ago), all one needs to do is look at the job announcements and CVs of instructors and profs at each institution.

Originally posted by Gurpy

Surprisingly, that isnt the case entirely. UofC requires 72% over 4 core subjects for adult students (2 sciences, math, and engrish.) MRU requires 4 subjects or something like that, but this year it was 79% to get in. They only calculate the average over 2 courses though. Either way, both admission requirements are pretty damn slack (for sciences, I dont know about the requirements for any other programs,) so its all good on that aspect.
    MRU is 60%

http://www.mtroyal.ca/ProgramsCourse...osts/index.htm

U of C is on a competitive basis, which was 72% in 2010
    http://www.ucalgary.ca/admissions/co..._admission_avg

Both standards are pretty low, though.

My Ride
    Germanrific - 1/4/5/6/A/C/E/R

Originally posted by Super_Geo
    It will come down to HR and the person doing the hiring... and UofC carries a better name than MRU.
    Best piece of advice in the thread. Whether it's justified or not, despite the name change and accreditation, I'm willing to bet many people still hold the stigma that MRU is a college, therefore in NAME recognition, UofC > MRC.

My Ride
    2007 subaru impreza

MRU is 60%

The MRU website is misleading. It states that a minimum of 60% is required, but admission is still competitive. Gave them a call because I was curious, and they said that last year it was quite high at 79%. That being said, they do base that off your best 2 subjects...which I think can even include some BS option like psych, or typing for dummies, so it would still be easier than UofC.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

http://www.mtroyal.ca/wcm/groups/pub...r2010-2011.pdf

Go to pg 237

http://www.ucalgary.ca/pubs/calendar...nt/sc-5-4.html

Sit and compare classes offered in terms of what you're interested in. From a quick look at mount royal's calendar, classes look similar. There are more petroleum classes at the UofC it seems though.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    2007 subaru impreza

Originally posted by msommers
    http://www.mtroyal.ca/wcm/groups/pub...r2010-2011.pdf

Go to pg 237

http://www.ucalgary.ca/pubs/calendar...nt/sc-5-4.html

Sit and compare classes offered in terms of what you're interested in. From a quick look at mount royal's calendar, classes look similar. There are more petroleum classes at the UofC it seems though.
    Right on, thanks! Another big thing in favor of UofC is I can at least take astronomy classes for science options there..none are offered at mount royal. Geology classes are pretty close it seems. Pretty damn stoked for field classes...get to go for a hike and make a geological map? Hell yeah, I'm down for class that day!

Originally posted by t-im

Best piece of advice in the thread. Whether it's justified or not, despite the name change and accreditation, I'm willing to bet many people still hold the stigma that MRU is a college, therefore in NAME recognition, UofC > MRC.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. At the end of the day, this is what most people think.

My Ride
    TypeR

Originally posted by Impreza

Couldn't have said it better myself. At the end of the day, this is what most people think.
    If u plan on staying in Calgary this might be the case, if not it will look the same. Only reason I went to mru instead of UofC is because of the tuition costs when comparing both. My course is roughly $4000 a year cheaper here.

Not to mention the hot ass girls and the sick fitness facility.

My Ride
    toyota MR2

another thing to consider would be: You are more likely to succeed at MRU rather than UofC. Lots of people go from A/B's @ MRU to B/C's at UofC.

You could look at doing 2 years at MRU then transferring..
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    2007 subaru impreza

Originally posted by thinmyster
    another thing to consider would be: You are more likely to succeed at MRU rather than UofC. Lots of people go from A/B's @ MRU to B/C's at UofC.

You could look at doing 2 years at MRU then transferring..
    Hmm, why is this? The classes look fairly similar; are the profs at MRU generally more lax on grading?

Originally posted by Isaiah

Source?
    fact
    Originally posted by theken
    Off duty cop means not a cop. At that time he is a normal person.

Originally posted by ZorroAMG

Yes. Just like a ninja in street clothes isn't a ninja.

MRU is 60%

err both of you are wrong, GEOLOGY/GEOPHYSICS are not direct entry after highschool, its your GPA that matters.

My Ride

A degree from MRU will be much harder to turn into a Geology career than a Degree from U of C for a number of reasons.

1) Most companies post their summer jobs at U of C, and at the other "Major" geology campuses in Canada. U of A, U of C, UBC, sometimes U Vic, U of S, U of R, some ontario universities, and Memorial. The "community college" campuses get more or less skipped over. So you're going to have to go out of your way to get a summer job. This is bad because....

2) You're going to have a next to impossible time getting a job full time if you haven't done a summer or two with a company. Also, the guys doing the summer student hiring likely have U of C, or U of A geology degrees because MRU only recently became a ful fledged university. Also, as mentioned before, these guys will likely hold a prejudice against an MRU grad over of a U of C grad, even if there is no grounds to it

3) THE TIME TO GET INTO GEOLOGY IS NOW! The guys who started university during the boom, and are now graduating into a recession and in trouble for a year or two. The guys who start in this recession are going to be graduating into a boom in 3-4 years. I wouldn't want to be graduating in 2011, but 2013 there will be jobs aplenty in calgary.

If you're going to MRU, i would suggest going a maximum of your frist two years there. Then transfer to U of C.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Originally posted by jazzyb

GEOLOGY/GEOPHYSICS are not direct entry after highschool
    You sure about that buddy?

Originally posted by Crymson
    I wouldn't want to be graduating in 2011
    Man that would suck!! Oh wait, I am.

Fuck.
    Ultracrepidarian

Originally posted by msommers

You sure about that buddy?

Man that would suck!! Oh wait, I am.

Fuck.
    definatly was not direct entry when I gained admission in 2004.

Had to do a common science year with Geology 201, 203, Phys 221, 223, Chem 201, 203 plus math courses
    Last edited by jazzyb; 11-15-2010 at 04:16 PM.

My Ride

That's still direct entry though. You're just a B.SC student who declares their major upon application to graduate. All B.Sc students roughly share the first year.

That's still direct entry though. You're just a B.SC student who declares their major upon application to graduate. All B.Sc students roughly share the first year.
    But the application to GeoScience department was for 2nd year students only.

Maybe my terminology was incorrect, but you could not enter the department right after graduation of highschool.

My Ride

Originally posted by jazzyb

But the application to GeoScience department was for 2nd year students only.

Maybe my terminology was incorrect, but you could not enter the department right after graduation of highschool.
    I didn't know you had to apply to the geoscience dept. I didn't go to U of C, i went to U of S, and it was more of a case of "oh, you seemed to have randomly accrued enough courses to earn a degree - here you go" once you were accepted to the college of arts and sciences.

I didn't know you had to apply to the geoscience dept. I didn't go to U of C, i went to U of S, and it was more of a case of "oh, you seemed to have randomly accrued enough courses to earn a degree - here you go" once you were accepted to the college of arts and sciences.
    Hi Crymson

I am thinking about transferring from U of R to U of S for geology program for fall 2011. Currently in U of R program but feeling its kind of small here and too stifled here. Regina is nice but boring city. Care to enlighten or share some thoughts on U of S Geology program or anything related or tips there. Would appreciate a lot.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast