19 15.32%
  • I was thinking about buying one

20 16.13%
  • Never occured to me

26 20.97%
Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Rememberance Day: The Poppy

Default Rememberance Day: The Poppy

Recently while eating lunch at the U of C, my friends and I were approached by a journalist asking us several questions about The Poppy.

I just want to hear your thoughts: Has The Poppy lost it's significance over the years? Why do you think people aren't wearing them?

Personally I have bought my Poppy but I have not worn it, does not wearing The Poppy make me a bad person? But whenever I see the container I will donate spare change.

My Ride
    240SX KA-T

That's pretty tough question you asked for yourself... All depends on intentions I guess. It's good you put in spare change, but I think wearing it shows a sign of respect and appreciation. I generally have a rule whenever I see the veterans or one of the bins at Tims or anywhere I give all the change on me I have, which in the past 3 weeks has been probably close to 50$. I don't think people have a problem with donating change, but I still think we should all be trying to show our respect with poppies.

This year I actually finally started my tattoo sleeve and I made poppies just about the biggest part. From over top of the elbow down is poppies, that way I'll never forget to wear mine.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Originally posted by 240SX92
    This year I actually finally started my tattoo sleeve and I made poppies just about the biggest part. From over top of the elbow down is poppies, that way I'll never forget to wear mine.
    Good on you! Hopefully the significance of the poppy isn't going to get lost over time, or you'll just be a fag wearing flowers. lol

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

To me the poppy gives war a false aire of benevolence or virtue.
    Also the poppy symbol is ironic to me insofar as it's illegal to grow poppies and my tax dollars go to cracking down on poppy fields.
    Last edited by Modelexis; 11-11-2010 at 12:35 PM.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

My Ride
    09 WRX Hatchback / 72 240z

Forgive my American ignorance but...

Is Remembrance Day similar to Veteran's Day that we have down here? Seems to fall on the same day too

My Ride
    240SX KA-T

Originally posted by Modelexis
    Also the poppy symbol is ironic to me insofar as it's illegal to grow poppies and my tax dollars go to cracking down on poppy fields.
    Then you completely miss the point of it, for both of those comments.

If I could I would nominate this for the dumbest, most ill-informed post of the year.

It is not illegal to grow poppies, what could be illegal is what you do with them.
    Will fuck off, again.

OP...why are you NOT wearing it? You go to the U of C so I assume you're younger...is it because it doesn't match your outfit or you don't want to ruin your 100 dollar tshirt?...think about this, like the guy above said, it's a sign of respect, do you truly understand what our soldiers did for us? To have everything we have in this country, we owe to them, think about that.

My Ride
    240SX KA-T

Originally posted by Zephyr
    Forgive my American ignorance but...

Is Remembrance Day similar to Veteran's Day that we have down here? Seems to fall on the same day too
    It is the Canadian equivalent yes.

Right, I guess Canada and America should of just rolled over and welcomed the Japanese after they bombed Pearl Harbour and raped and pillaged China. Moron...go read some history instead of spouting off your cool hipster b.s.

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

Originally posted by Canucks3322

Right, I guess Canada and America should of just rolled over and welcomed the Japanese after they bombed Pearl Harbour and raped and pillaged China. Moron...go read some history instead of spouting off your cool hipster b.s.
    Pearl Harbor was December 7, 1941

Remembrance Day is observed on 11 November to recall the official end of World War I on that date in 1918

Moron?
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 06-22-2019 at 10:10 AM.

My Ride
    09 WRX Hatchback / 72 240z

Originally posted by 240SX92

It is the Canadian equivalent yes.
    That's cool how you guys have something to symbolize the day, whereas we have...nothing...

OP...why are you NOT wearing it? You go to the U of C so I assume you're younger...is it because it doesn't match your outfit or you don't want to ruin your 100 dollar tshirt?...think about this, like the guy above said, it's a sign of respect, do you truly understand what our soldiers did for us? To have everything we have in this country, we owe to them, think about that.

He didn't say he was against wearing it, he's asking others exactly what you so politely asked him. Relax e-soldier. If you're so pumped about the issue then go join the army.

100% agree, even if he's jk.

Do people with Alzheimer's have a particular hatred for today? I've always wondered that.

My Ride
    240SX KA-T

Pearl Harbor was December 7, 1941

Remembrance Day is observed on 11 November to recall the official end of World War I on that date in 1918

Moron?
    I'm not sure if you're being ignorant or not, but Remembrance day was originally created for World War 1 yes, back in what, 1920? When World War 2 hadn't started? Or the Korean war? Or the war in Afghanistan? Or the hundreds of peacekeeping missions Canada has been a part of since 1920? Pretty sure it's a well known fact that Remembrance day is to be celebrated for all our veterans of every mission the Canadian forces have been a part of in our countries history.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Actually, Rememberance Day is intended to remember ALL of those who fought for us. It only started as remembering WW1 vets.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 06-22-2019 at 10:10 AM.

Oh wow, you must be one of those grumpy old men who stare out their window with a pair of binoculars with the cops on speed dial (I can make assumptions too)

I understand what they have done for us, I respect the soldiers, they fought for our freedom. Many have fought and died so that we can live in this country as it is.

I have no excuse for not wearing a poppy, I know I should be though.

My Ride
    240SX KA-T

Originally posted by Zephyr

That's cool how you guys have something to symbolize the day, whereas we have...nothing...
    Yeah it is good to have something our nation can hold as a symbol of respect for our veterans. Too bad it's meaning was lost on pylons such as Modelexis...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast