Quantcast
canada's collecton agency? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: canada's collecton agency?

My Ride
    charger R/T w R&T, soon 2010 camaro

Default canada's collecton agency?

i got this in the mail, please dont make any stupid remarks.

ok it is what it is. i owe them money but has any one been in this situation and what did you do?

are they like the irs? they come into your home and take your valuables?
    im probably the first idot on this forum to addmit this or maybe you have too but are to scared to talk about it.
    this can be a lesson learned for you youngings to pay your taxes.

i called them but there office is close 9-5 easten.
    i totally forgot about this! shit! ok long story short i didnt file my taxes for 3yrs and then i did them last year and this is what i owe. has this happened to anyone you know and what happened to them?

this is not a bash me thread because we all know theres something wrong with me, but this is or could be a helpful thread to others as well as myself.
    please help and share your story.
    thank you. stay on topic or i will ask to close thread. fuck!

No they don't take your shit. Just call them and they will set you up on a payment plan probably. I imagine if you avoid them they can garnish your wages or have you killed.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

They are not even close to the IRS in what they do. As mentioned, if you call them, they'll probably work out a payment plan with you, and penalize you for the late payment. (Usually just a standard interest percentage)

My Ride
    09 Lancer Ralliart

Originally posted by Kloubek
    They are not even close to the IRS in what they do. As mentioned, if you call them, they'll probably work out a payment plan with you, and penalize you for the late payment. (Usually just a standard interest percentage)
    This.

A family friend ran an accounting business on the side and the divorce crippled him...then revenue canada came knocking saying he owed them like 50k.

All they did was just garnishee his wages over the rest of his working life to pay it off lol
    Originally posted by hurrdurr
    I wouldn't gamble with a DP on one of these.

My Ride

I always used to get cheques back at tax time.. one year when I was probably around 20 years old I decided to not file my taxes and wait till the following year to collect both years at once and get a bigger refund. It was a bad idea, it turns out those were the only two years I ever owed money because my employer at the time was deducting less tax than they were supposed to. I ended up owing around 6K.

If you avoid them they will garnish your wages and they amount they deduct is always a larger amount than what you could negotiate as a payment plan. This was around 10 years ago, I assume things still work the same way.
    Click here to check out my racing sim...

Originally posted by GQBalla
    tictactoe2004 you are scary

My Ride

Ok but how do they garnish my wage if I'm a sub? Last time we talked they wanted the whole amount.

My Ride

Originally posted by banned3x
    Ok but how do they garnish my wage if I'm a sub? Last time we talked they wanted the whole amount.
    I don't know how they would do it if that's the case, but I would suggest if you have the money you just pay it in one lump sum, that's what I did. If not, I would be honest and tell them that you do not have the finances to pay it in full and ask them what your options are. I would assume they would suggest a payment option before taking things any further. At the time I didn't want to find out what was involved with "taking it any further", it's probably in your best interest to deal with it as soon as you can.
    Click here to check out my racing sim...

Originally posted by GQBalla
    tictactoe2004 you are scary

My Ride
    2011 Mustang GT

^^^ Of course they want the whole amount. If you can do it, great. If not, give them what you can until it's paid off.

The worst they can do really is garnish. Just give them what you can.
    Beyond's Most Wanted

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

My business was audited and instantly became 60k in debt to the CRA years ago. My wages were garnished, and they threatened to take my house and my car, sell it off, and apply that to the debt. Apparently, they can do that legally.

Lucky for me, my house at the time was worth less than the mortgage (I overpaid on a show home 3 months prior) and my cars were leased, so they took something like 50% of my pay haha.

Took me years to clear that shit up. Now, I hire accountants to deal with all my business matters. Lesson learned!
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Originally posted by banned3x
    I owed them 22k for the 2008 tax year and they tried to set me up on a payment plan at $2,800/mo. After I said that $2,800/mo would financially ruin me and put them in the position of squeezing water from a stone they negotiated a monthly payment of $500 and a quarterly balloon payment for two years.

You'll be able to work out the $3k or whatever it is you owe them. Call them and be reasonable.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

In canada they can not touch your house as long as it is your primary place of residence.

Ask anyone that has gone through bankruptcy. They can take any asset you own to pay your debts, with the exception of your house. This is according to my father who filed once in the '80s and was in the middle of doing it again in 2005.

when my father died, the bankruptcy trustee came into his house, looked around, had the movers take a few items out that were not heirlooms and such, and then told us we were welcome to do with the rest as we pleased.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride

Ha 3500 is nothing then compared to some of you guys. I feel better already.

My Ride
    2015 CLS63s AMG Coupe

WTF ARE YOU KIDDING ME (are they like the IRS)????

Yes, they are the equivalent only Canadian!

They can lock down your bank accounts, take money from them, they can put a HALT to your life,haha...

Call them ASAP and setup payment plan. DO IT!
    Sig was pwned by Moderator!

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Originally posted by Zhariak
    WTF ARE YOU KIDDING ME (are they like the IRS)????

Yes, they are the equivalent only Canadian!

They can lock down your bank accounts, take money from them, they can put a HALT to your life,haha...

Call them ASAP and setup payment plan. DO IT!
    Don't be theatrical. They aren't going to ruin his life over 3 grand unless he tries (and tries HARD might I add) to piss 'em off.

My Ride
    YZ250

Originally posted by spikers
    In canada they can not touch your house as long as it is your primary place of residence.

Ask anyone that has gone through bankruptcy. They can take any asset you own to pay your debts, with the exception of your house. This is according to my father who filed once in the '80s and was in the middle of doing it again in 2005.

when my father died, the bankruptcy trustee came into his house, looked around, had the movers take a few items out that were not heirlooms and such, and then told us we were welcome to do with the rest as we pleased.
    You are completely wrong.

Yes in a bankruptcy situation they CAN take your house depending on the equity in the home. Currently Alberta's limit is $40,000 then either you sell or they take it...

There is one exception in Saskatchewan regarding a farmers home quarter.

http://www.bankruptcycanada.com/Albe...Exemptions.htm
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    LS460L

They are just trying to make some extra Xmas money!! I say fight it to the death!! Proof below! lool

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/WFive/2010...taxman_100403/

My Ride
    **SEQUOIA**

they have the ability find out which banks you bank at and freeze your accounts. It is called a "Requirement to pay"

the bank must then remit all funds in the account + new deposits to CRA until the requirement has been satisfied

this happens to businesses alllllll the time.

My Ride
    2017 370Z / 2018 Sentra / 2008 Sentra

Originally posted by canadian_hustla
    they have the ability find out which banks you bank at and freeze your accounts. It is called a "Requirement to pay"

the bank must then remit all funds in the account + new deposits to CRA until the requirement has been satisfied

this happens to businesses alllllll the time.

True. They will hold any funds you have in the bank. Been there 15 years ago and that was for $1400. Could not even pay rent cause of the hold...

Banned3x: they CAN and DO have the power to freeze your bank account, garnish your wages (if you're a T4'd employee...if you're self-employed, they'll freeze the account)

That being said....they are EXTREMELY reasonable, but you HAVE to talk to them. Even if you're only making $20 a month payments, they won't do anything. But talk to them.

None of you guys are even CLOSE to what I owe them. (This recession hit me HARD).

Just phone them and tell them "I can pay x amount per month". And don't over extend yourself. Make it easy. If you can't make a payment...just phone and inform them. Above all else, don't ignore them!! Then they can be brutal.

My Ride
    anything that comes along

How exactly do they garnish wages? Do they force your employer to start paying your income to them?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast