Quantcast
Engine flushes - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Engine flushes

Default Engine flushes

I get my oil changed at Mr. Lube, and every time I do, they say "your oil is REALLY black and we recommend an engine flush." (of course it's black, it's supposed to be, dumbass!) LOL... they even told me this today, on my car which only has 20000 km on it. Anyhow, they must sell a lot of these or they wouldn't keep using this sales tactic.

Of course I never get the engine flushes. The whole point of gunk building up inside your engine is that it's not circulating THROUGH your engine... and when you flush it, it loosens from the surfaces and gets put into suspension. I've also read horror stories about engines siezing, etc., after an engine flush.

What do you guys think? Has anyone ever done an engine flush before? Thoughts on how well they work or don't work?

i wouldnt trust mrlube for reg oil changes let alone engine flush. Very amateur work there.
    Originally posted by Thaco
    get an lcd for anywhere, with the 120/240hz it's superior in all ways.
    LOL

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

DO NOT use their flush... I've heard bad things it does for your seals, etc. Regularly maintained vehicles dont need this. Consider this the same as running Nitrogen filled tires - waste of money.

The only time I've used a "flush" type product is once on an engine that had been neglected to the point of sludge.
    In that case, you add this particular product to the existing oil and just idle the car for 5 minutes to run it through.
    Then you drain and add new oil.

My Ride
    16' Tacoma Offroad

Manufacturers are telling people to not flush engines due to carbon being removed and clogging or damaging vital components with low clearances, like oil strainers, pumps and top end valve train lubrication.

Oil filters are after the pump, not before, so there's no protecting them from the harmful sediments aside from draining.

Also as mentioned, who knows what kind of damage it can do to a seal, it can carry the loose deposits to the seals.

Oil gets black, as long as it isn't sludge or full of water, just keep up regular intervals as per manufacturer for our weather and you wont have any problems.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I personally wouldn't do a flush on any of my vehicles.

Default Re: Engine flushes

Originally posted by Guillermo
    I get my oil changed at Mr. Lube
    That's when I stopped reading, if you're paying 40 something bucks to get your presumably new car's oil changed by some half retarded 15 year old or fully retarded 45 year old at Mr Lube, then you deserve to get ripped off for an "engine flush"

Default Re: Re: Engine flushes

Originally posted by Scuderia

That's when I stopped reading, if you're paying 40 something bucks to get your presumably new car's oil changed by some half retarded 15 year old or fully retarded 45 year old at Mr Lube, then you deserve to get ripped off for an "engine flush"
    fuck you, trollface. just so you know, I grew up doing GOFs in the shop that was started by my grandfather in the 1940s, then owned by my father, and now owned by my brother. I come from generations of mechanics, and worked in that shop for years and years. I've done hundreds, if not thousands, of oil changes, and I have my reasons for going to Mr. Lube, which I'm not going to get into right now since this isn't the point of the thread. I don't need you to lecture me about what is and isn't a good oil change.

I also would NEVER consider getting an engine flush. Can't you read? I was asking if anyone has ever had one, and what people think.

Go fuck yourself, troll. You won't be around here long anyhow.

Default Re: Re: Re: Engine flushes

Originally posted by Guillermo
    cool life story
    LOL why you mad though? By the looks of it, you're a damn master mechanic, AND your brother owns a shop... yet you still go to Mr.Lube. Don't be mad at me because you don't know how to change oil, I'm just a troll

^^seriously, why is this punk not banned yet? all he does is start *pointless* conflicts with everybody in every fucking thread.

lol i see what you mean about him !

as for flushes mr lube is an in and out place

when doing a flush the flush can should be added to the old oil and let the car run for at least 15 mins not put it in a rev your car to 3000rpm for 30 seconds

I just think it's absurd that they tell everyone that their "oil is really black," and then try and sell a service that (from what I understand) is bad for your engine.

My Ride
    DA9

if your car only has 20000k new why not get it done at the dealership?
    91 till infinity

My Ride
    Ferrari

Originally posted by uptown.
    if your car only has 20000k new why not get it done at the dealership?
    $40 Oil Change versus a $100 Oil Change?

BUT, every car I've ever bought from a stealership, I got free oil changes for life included in the sale at no extra cost.....
    Life is too short to drive boring cars.

My Ride
    DA9

Originally posted by Alak

BUT, every car I've ever bought from a stealership, I got free oil changes for life included in the sale at no extra cost.....
    thats exactly what im saying?? you should get free oil changes for atleast 3 years

My Ride
    16' Tacoma Offroad

Minute lube is simply more convenient then booking an appointment and waiting an hour plus for an oil change to be done.

Also lube techs at dealers are no more qualified then minute lube techs, they just have more experience filling up the specific models at hand.

I dont blame people for going to minute lube, but every other oil change should be done at a real shop to check suspension and brakes, not just have a 17 year old with pimples tell the customer that they need every fluid flushed so they make 3$ commission.

I have seafoamed my engine. Nothing more.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
    Manufacturers are telling people to not flush engines due to carbon being removed and clogging or damaging vital components with low clearances, like oil strainers, pumps and top end valve train lubrication.

s.
    Huh? And removing carbon build up inside an engine is a bad thing? If anything its recommended to blow out the carbon by using combustion chamber cleaner and spraying that in the throttle body.

LOL

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Did an engine flush on my Land Rover a few months back after I took it offroading.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

Originally posted by Alak

$40 Oil Change versus a $100 Oil Change?

I dont know what dealership that is, and I dont do my oil changes at a dealership anymore but when I did...Crowfoot Honda only charged $40 for their type 1 maintenance which included oil change, new oil filter and all fluids topped up. Thats a decent deal IMO.

But now I just take it to my reg. mechanics who do it for the same price $40-50 but do a much more thorough job doing it cause dealerships will often just rush through their oil changes as fast as they can.

Book an appt with your reg. mechanic and take it there. I was at T&T Honda yesterday afternoon using thier wifi and they were backed up with 10 or so customers waiting for oil changes. The mechanics there were flying through them like zipping through a drive-thru.

Rushed oil jobs = trouble
    Last edited by copynpaste; 11-14-2010 at 09:36 PM.
    LOL

My Ride
    16' Tacoma Offroad

Originally posted by copynpaste

Huh? And removing carbon build up inside an engine is a bad thing? If anything its recommended to blow out the carbon by using combustion chamber cleaner and spraying that in the throttle body.

There's injector flushes and intake flushes, we are talking about lubrication flushes aka: engine flush

I completely agree with intake and injector flushes, which burn and remove the carbon, but oil flushes trap it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast