Quantcast
immune to cold medecines? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: immune to cold medecines?

My Ride
    4g63 powered

Default immune to cold medecines?

I have been "sick" for almost a month now, just the normal cold, with cough, sore throat etc. Sometimes it will kind of go away and I'll feel decent and be able to go to hockey games and such. Also go out and drink friday and saturday nights, then feel crappy again... Then the next morning i'll wake up and go to school and feel shitty. Seems like all the pills and such don't do shit anymore since I have been taking them for so long in a row. Any advice?

That shit used to always happen to me. Got sick every month. Honestly, from what I've seen the medicine doesn't really cure the sickness, it just cures the symptoms (I know, that's what they're meant to do). Don't be surprised if you feel good after taking the medicine and then shitty again when you're off it. I think it's all about your habits man, smoke like a chimney, drink a lot, eat fast food, your body has no choice but to get sick. I stopped all of that and I feel like a million bucks everyday. When I am sick now, I take that lemon shit you mix with water (can't remember the name, it's neocitrin or something neo), eat really healthy, drink tea with honey every 30 minutes, and sleep a lot.

Medicines just mask symptoms.

Drink tons of water, get lots of sleep, don't get hammered, eat healthy and get lots of exercise when you aren't sick. You need to let your body heal itself.

I do the above and get a cold maybe 1-2 times a year maximum. I think the lots of water & exercise part helps the most. Don't fall into the ColdFX trap.

Also as a general rule keep your hands away from your face unless you're washing them often.

My Ride
    All made in Japan.

See a doctor, it could be anything from a weak immune system to... well she was healthy looking when I took her home and what is an STD? Well the possibilities are endless. Doctors are free so WTF, get going. With the school exam season (school and sickness suck), holidays and winter all coming, better get a pro in there for a real opinion and stop spending your money on over the counter self-doctoring meds.

Your school has a clinic?

Walk in clinics are great if you are there when they open, walk in and see a doctor in a few minutes. Out in 15 with a proper plan.
    Last edited by Muji; 11-15-2010 at 12:22 PM.

Originally posted by Muji
    See a doctor, it could be anything from a weak immune system to... well the possibilities are endless. Doctors are free so WTF, get going. With the exam season, holidays and winter all coming, better get a pro in there for a real opinion and stop spending money on over the counter self doctoring meds.

Walk in clinics are great if you are there when they open, walk in and see a doctor in a few minutes.
    I'm not saying it can't possibly be anything else, but if you go to a walk in clinic with cold symptoms they just give you antibiotics, tell you to sleep and drink water. A lot of doctors' time is wasted dealing with people who go there every time they get a cold.

Anyways I do agree though that if it absolutely won't go away you may want to see a doctor. If you're getting hammered every weekend though I doubt that is helping.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

ya drinking is the key. I think i've been continuously sick for like 2 years because i never let myself get healthy and just party. like the last month for example has been a disaster haha... i drink alot of water but dont sleep enough, and drink too much booze. it sucks when there is so much fun shit to do

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    Medicines just mask symptoms.

Drink tons of water, get lots of sleep, don't get hammered, eat healthy and get lots of exercise when you aren't sick. You need to let your body heal itself.

I do the above and get a cold maybe 1-2 times a year maximum. I think the lots of water & exercise part helps the most. Don't fall into the ColdFX trap.

Also as a general rule keep your hands away from your face unless you're washing them often.
    Bingo. Healthy lifestyle = healthy being.

As for JfuckinC, dude you just party way too much! LOL

My Ride
    All made in Japan.

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

I'm not saying it can't possibly be anything else, but if you go to a walk in clinic with cold symptoms they just give you antibiotics, tell you to sleep and drink water. A lot of doctors' time is wasted dealing with people who go there every time they get a cold.

Anyways I do agree though that if it absolutely won't go away you may want to see a doctor. If you're getting hammered every weekend though I doubt that is helping.
    Any doctor giving antibiotics for a common cold is to be reported to Alberta HEalth ( http://www.health.alberta.ca/about/h...-concerns.html ) and in my experience they do not dish this out for a cold. We all know antibiotics have no effect against viral infections (colds fall into this area) and every doctor knows this as well. My personal doctor told me the first time we met that there will seldom if ever be antibiotics given for an illness and viral illness is only made worse by antibiotics.

My Ride
    4g63 powered

I do sleep like 7-8 hours a night, don't smoke cigs, and drink like 1-3 times a week. When I drink, its not to sip a beer, its to get hammered. I'm not worried about the drinking because I never get hangovers. It's like playing hockey, then getting sicker again the next day and it just repeats...

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by Awd-Tsi
    At first I was like Then i LoL'd
    Bud I don't think you can get smashed multiple times a week and not have an effect on your body.

My Ride
    4g63 powered

Originally posted by max_boost

Bud I don't think you can get smashed multiple times a week and not have an effect on your body.
    My body is used to it by now... I probably have an immunity to cold medicine and alcohol. Sometimes even have a couple scoops of cough syrup then go drink

try out 1 or 2 neocitran and then drink...

At first you'll be like LOL then

My Ride
    4g63 powered

I hate that shit, never gonna drink it again

My Ride
    DA6, R59

Try Emergen-C, it has 1667% of your daily intake of vitamin C and probably 15 other vitamins. I drink a few times a week however it's a couple glasses of wine or a few beers and I get sick sick a couple times a year for no more than a week or two at a time. I would swear by it as I have been taking it going on 3 years every winter. Best of luck!

Edit: here's a pic of what it looks like

Last edited by jdmXSI; 11-16-2010 at 12:09 AM.

My Ride
    Hatred

I've heard not posting threads helps people get better.
    -U

There was a cold like that going around NS a couple months back.. I had it for a few weeks.. It wasn't terrible, just annoying.. Cough, stuffed up.. etc You would start to shake it and feel good and then it would come back.. It seemed to hit girls worse then guys..

Went away eventually, without doing anything. Definitely the longest, most nagging one I've ever had, and I go years between getting sick.

My Ride
    4g63 powered

Originally posted by Supa Dexta
    There was a cold like that going around NS a couple months back.. I had it for a few weeks.. It wasn't terrible, just annoying.. Cough, stuffed up.. etc You would start to shake it and feel good and then it would come back.. It seemed to hit girls worse then guys..

Went away eventually, without doing anything. Definitely the longest, most nagging one I've ever had, and I go years between getting sick.
    I still have it... Not fun.

Last edited by J-hop; 07-29-2017 at 10:56 PM.

My Ride
    4g63 powered

Originally posted by J-hop

funny thing is that is what smokers claim, then they have breathing problems later in life and realize how stupid they must have sounded. How much water are you drinking after you get slammed? you should drink at the very least the equivalent of what you drank in alcohol, a severely dehydrated body is never going to flush out the bad stuff.

I am a firm believer in Einstein's definition of insanity. If you keep doing the same sh*t over and over again expecting different results there is something wrong with you.

Tylenol cold etc as mentioned is only there to mask the symptoms, the daytime stuff is just for you to get through your day, the nighttime stuff is to allow you to sleep so you can fight off your cold.

It is blatantly obvious that the solution to your problem is in your first post, try skipping drinking this week and instead eat healthy and get a good 10-12 hrs sleep on the nights you would otherwise be drinking and I guarantee in a week you'll be 90% back to normal. Give it another week and you'll have forgotten you were even sick. But that could be a bad thing as you'll probably be back abusing your body and start the cycle over....
    Thanks for this post, yes I do drink a couple cups of water after heavy drinking and never get hangovers. Eat fairly healthy, and as for sleeping sometimes its hard.

Originally posted by jdmXSI
    Try Emergen-C, it has 1667% of your daily intake of vitamin C and probably 15 other vitamins.
    And you pee out over 95% of those vitamins 30 minutes later.

You can't just overdose on vitamins in a glass of water and expect your body to absorb them all.

Save your money and buy fruits and vegetables instead.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast