My Ride
    Red with stripes and a shitbox truck

Originally posted by max_boost

1. Are you a good driver?
    2. Did you have winter tires?
    Yes

and

Yes

Still was fucking awful. It was just such a goddamn whiteout. Literally could not see 50ft in front of you, and nobody could get any grip so cars were sliding around all over the place. Could only drive about 40km/hr MAX and even then you're still in danger because some dummy would come flying up behind you and not be able to stop in time.

Seriously, shit sucked.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Stoney Trail last night was a disaster. Blowing snow, drifts, poor visibility, people driving beyond the safe limits of their cars. I tow strapped an Oldsmobile Alero out of the ditch southbound just before the 16th Ave exit, and people weren't even slowing down or moving over when we had a guy parked up the road and trying to slow down traffic.

My Ride
    06 F-150

Any photos of the recent snow you guys got? I'm in Nova Scotia for the winter in university and oh so unfortunetly missing the -30 weather and car accidents.

QE2 is still a shit show. Not liking the commute in the AM. Stay off the fucking road if you are going to do 40km/h in the dark.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    GD + GR WRB

Sitting at the airport in Vegas waiting for our flight.. Omg I do not want to go home to this shit!!

Palm trees and 25c to snowstorms and -20 in two hours. Ffffffffuuuuuuuuu
    Bought not built!

Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
    Stoney Trail last night was a disaster. Blowing snow, drifts, poor visibility, people driving beyond the safe limits of their cars. I tow strapped an Oldsmobile Alero out of the ditch southbound just before the 16th Ave exit, and people weren't even slowing down or moving over when we had a guy parked up the road and trying to slow down traffic.
    It amazes me everyday how the winter seems to bring out the absolute worst in drivers.

It seems its the 4x4 and truck drivers that think just cause they drive a V8 4WD that they have extra authority on the roads and dont need to speed down.

And it just disgusts me how few drivers i see with winter tires. 8/10 times theyre driving all seasons. I still saw 2 today with summers, what a buncha idiots! Putting others at risk! Summer tires should be banned in the winter and drivers ticketed and taken off the road! But noooo the pigs here are too busy spending 5hours a day sitting in Timmys doing jack shit.

Originally posted by speedog
    Different year, but same old shit. All season tires - definitely not superior to winter tires as there's a multitude of studies that'll prove that.

Yip and i still cant stop laughing when I was told last week that "winter tires arent that much better than all seasons" lol that is the stupidest thing ive ever heard.

But the simple fact remains that probably 80% of the people out there in Calgary run on all seasons - that's what came with their vehicle and that's what they'll put back on them when the originals wear out.
    Calgarians do this because
    1) Cheaper to run one set all year round
    2) Less hassle, no need to swap tires 2x a year, no labour to pay
    3) Completely mislead and brainwashed by the "all season" branding thinking just ccause it says "all season" that "oh it must be good all year around, so why bother with winters." All season tires has got to be the biggest marketing bullshit to date in the auto industry.

Really, the stupidity of drivers amazes me every time winter comes about and for the record, my daily driver is FWD with ESC, traction control and very good quality new all seasons on it. .
    You would be disgusted how many drivers in this city just "stop and go", in other words they just know how to brake and hit the gas, thats it. They dont give a shit about taking extra precuation and using their cars extra features or gears in the winter. From what ive noticed these are usually the people who dont take maintain their cars at all and all they care about is getting from Point A to B no matter how careless their driving is.

Neutral - how many casual drivers do you think actually uses it when the time calls upon it? Very little thats forsure,
    Last edited by copynpaste; 11-18-2010 at 10:57 PM.
    Originally posted by Thaco
    get an lcd for anywhere, with the 120/240hz it's superior in all ways.
    LOL

My Ride
    17 Civic HB Sport

The one thing that bothers me the absolute most about winter driving is people that don't brush all the snow off their cars, and driving behind them you get a huge cloud of snow blown on your windshield.

Just today I saw a chick getting into her truck and pulling out of her parking spot in a huge truck, with a crazy layer of snow covering the entire vehicle. She scraped a hole into the drivers side of the window to see out of, it was like a gigantic snowball driving down the road! UGH! BITCH!!!
    What kind of birdhouse can you build with popsicles, roofies, and a rubber mallet?
    "It's for a rare African bird called "none your business."
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    If you were straight I'd eat you like a BLT sandwich with extra Bacon. And I fucking LOVE bacon.

My Ride
    Beyond Fit Golf R and Berta RAM 1500

^^ I agree. one of my retarded friends thinks its safe to scrape only front and drivers side windows.... il laugh when he crashes.

My Ride
    Toyota Sequoia

There's no debating that winter tires benefit virtually EVERY driver on the road. As a car enthusiast forum, it's baffling that some would say otherwise. I mean, in professional racing f1 for example, teams put on the best possible tires they can on the car. I would call the likes of Vettel, Button, etc. above average drivers at the very least, but they're still better off driving on the best tires for the conditions.

My Ride
    has lace's

ooowwwwwooee Just drove home from vancouver last night In a civic with all season tires. rogers pass was fun. damn.

My Ride
    Hatred

Originally posted by ercchry

how are you finding the BFG's? i get a little abs kickin in at some intersections... but 4hi combined with the manual trans i find myself using the engine to brake for the majority of my slowing down
    I find them pretty good so far. Definitely getting some wheel spin out of them but they are actually working a lot better than I thought they would.
    -U

My Ride
    E93 335is, F32 435xi, '16 Denali 1500

People need to slow down on the snow , not the hard packed ice almost pavement that people seem to keep doing .

Anyone know of any car washes that open in the winter in the north central area? I went to my harvest hills one today and they were closed. It seems most if not all shut down in the winter.
    Originally posted by Thaco
    get an lcd for anywhere, with the 120/240hz it's superior in all ways.
    LOL

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Just wait till it warms up a bit. They are not closed for the entire winter.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Originally posted by italianstylez
    People need to slow down on the snow , not the hard packed ice almost pavement that people seem to keep doing .
    I find people need to learn how to drive, and speed the hell up. I use All-seasons in my car, and have never once had a problem in the 8 years I've been driving it (my winter car) the funny part? its a 2wd that doesn't have ABS.

Yes, there is snow on the ground, absolutely, but that being said, if you have decent traction (of which is seriously not hard to check for), why do 30 in a 70 zone? honestly?
    Just this evening I was stuck following some ass-clown in a AWD Suburu SUV just CRAWLING around corners, despite having fantastic traction.... like. really?

Yes, WHEN the conditions are horrid, slow down... but when you have traction, and are still in full control of the vehicle why go into some idiotic "safe mode"?
    no seriously? I understand some drivers are not that skilled at dealing with a skidding vehicle or even a loss of traction, but just because there happens to be snow on the road, thats no reason to do 50 on deerfoot, when one can do 100 on it very safely and with total control.
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 11-19-2010 at 12:15 AM.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    12' Civic, 88' Prelude, 02' F350

copynpaste: Not sure if you are willing to make the trek down, but there is one right beside Crossroads furniture on the corner of 16th avenue and Barlow. I went there today and it was open.

My Ride
    is Invisible

Originally posted by Graham_A_M

I find people need to learn how to drive, and speed the hell up. I use All-seasons in my car, and have never once had a problem in the 8 years I've been driving it (my winter car) the funny part? its a 2wd that doesn't have ABS.

Yes, there is snow on the ground, absolutely, but that being said, if you have decent traction (of which is seriously not hard to check for), why do 30 in a 70 zone? honestly?
    Just this evening I was stuck following some ass-clown in a AWD Suburu SUV just CRAWLING around corners, despite having fantastic traction.... like. really?

Yes, WHEN the conditions are horrid, slow down... but when you have traction, and are still in full control of the vehicle why go into some idiotic "safe mode"?
    no seriously? I understand some drivers are not that skilled at dealing with a skidding vehicle or even a loss of traction, but just because there happens to be snow on the road, thats no reason to do 50 on deerfoot, when one can do 100 on it very safely and with total control.
    x2

Stuck behind ppl that are doing 25 in 60 zones, and they are all scattered throughout the road so u cant even get past em.

Originally posted by copynpaste

1) And it just disgusts me how few drivers i see with winter tires. 8/10 times theyre driving all seasons. I still saw 2 today with summers, what a buncha idiots! Putting others at risk! Summer tires should be banned in the winter and drivers ticketed and taken off the road! But noooo the pigs here are too busy spending 5hours a day sitting in Timmys doing jack shit.

2)
    Calgarians do this because
    1) Cheaper to run one set all year round
    2) Less hassle, no need to swap tires 2x a year, no labour to pay
    3) Completely mislead and brainwashed by the "all season" branding thinking just ccause it says "all season" that "oh it must be good all year around, so why bother with winters." All season tires has got to be the biggest marketing bullshit to date in the auto industry.

3) Neutral - how many casual drivers do you think actually uses it when the time calls upon it? Very little thats forsure,
    1) Relax Kritafo, just because you want to spend $500+ on winters doesn't mean everybody else has to. You guys can brag and cry all you want about your super sticky blizzarky ice groping snow killer t560's or whatever they're called, but the blunt fact of the matter is not everybody needs winter tires to drive safely during winter, and not everybody can afford the money to buy them. If I have some piece of shit 1000 dollar winter beater, you think I'm going to buy winter tires that will cost me 2/3 of what the car cost me?

2) Oh the irony. So people who buy all-seasons, which come stock on most cars, are cheaper than winters, and don't have to be changed until they're bald, are the ones being brainwashed by the industry?
    But people who rush to pay $1000+ every winter to drive just as shitty as they did last year are the smart, savvy shoppers, who aren't getting brainwashed at all right?

3) I'm pretty sure you just got your first car. Tell me, why do drivers use neutral in those types of situations? Don't google "why should drivers use neutral in calgary winterz"

My Ride
    2008 Impreza WRX

Originally posted by Scuderia

2) Oh the irony. So people who buy all-seasons, which come stock on most cars, are cheaper than winters, and don't have to be changed until they're bald, are the ones being brainwashed by the industry?
    But people who rush to pay $1000+ every winter to drive just as shitty as they did last year are the smart, savvy shoppers, who aren't getting brainwashed at all right?
    Pretty sure winter tires don't magically self-destruct every year...

Originally posted by copynpaste
    It seems its the 4x4 and truck drivers that think just cause they drive a V8 4WD that they have extra authority on the roads and dont need to speed down.
    Or the the fact we can actually get up to speed from a stop without spinning tires and slipping?

And who cares if people run all-seasons? Do you need to flame on them to make yourself feel better for buying winter tires? cause I mean you're so paranoid, anything to make you feel more reassured right? Maybe you should invest in a bus pass, that way you don't have to worry about K&N filters, OMG I bought Mobil1 should I return it? and your 15,000KM ATF changes.
    Last edited by Cooked Rice; 11-19-2010 at 02:31 AM.

Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8 17 18 19 ... LastLast