Quantcast
Winter Storm Warning for Calgary - Page 20 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 10 19 20 21 ... LastLast
Results 381 to 400 of 543

Thread: Winter Storm Warning for Calgary

  1. #381
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    S.E. (not the drrty south)
    My Ride
    Blandness
    Posts
    7,012
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Originally posted by Guillermo

    that said, i haven't noticed a vast improvement of winters vs. the all-seasons i had before. i still slip all over the roads, and have problems starting at times, becuase the roads here are coated in glare ice. i do notice the winters help in deep snow, but unfortunately we don't really have such conditions in yyc.
    Did you do your research and buy Ice and Snow tires, or just Winter/Snow tires?

  2. #382
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    397
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    my winter tire is blizzak ws70.

    the problem is that the roads here are coated in ice/packed snow. snow tires aren't going to help on that.

  3. #383
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Online
    My Ride
    Budget Baller
    Posts
    10,203
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    Originally posted by Guillermo
    my winter tire is blizzak ws70.

    the problem is that the roads here are coated in ice/packed snow. snow tires aren't going to help on that.
    But they are still better than your summers and all seasons.

  4. #384
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    5,264
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Originally posted by Guillermo
    my winter tire is blizzak ws70.

    the problem is that the roads here are coated in ice/packed snow. snow tires aren't going to help on that.
    You're right, SNOW tires aren't going to help that... there are different types of winter tires, some are better suited for ice but not that great in deep snow, whereas others are the opposite, great in deep snow but still can't grip on ice.

    learn2shop
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

  5. #385
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    397
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    hrm, well, i still think that instead of everyone having to (as you guys imply) buy 5 sets of tires for every possible winter road condition, we could all instead pay $40 more in taxes per year (or whatever it was at the last estimate) and have complete snow removal.

    i grew up near the great lakes and we got shitloads and shitloads more snow than here. we also had snow removal, and EVERYONE there just ran all seasons - no one had winter tires. and i even come from a family of mechanics, would (if anyone) would run winters.

    PLOW THE FUCKING ROADS!

    but yea, you guys can go on biuying your 20 sets of tires and changing them everytime the road conditions change.

  6. #386
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Online
    My Ride
    Budget Baller
    Posts
    10,203
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    WS70 are Ice and Snow tires.

    I do agree with the snow clearing though lol
    Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In Beyond We Trust

  7. #387
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cowtown
    My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5
    Posts
    5,983
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Originally posted by Scuderia
    1) Relax Kritafo, just because you want to spend $500+ on winters doesn't mean everybody else has to. You guys can brag and cry all you want about your super sticky blizzarky ice groping snow killer t560's or whatever they're called, but the blunt fact of the matter is not everybody needs winter tires to drive safely during winter, and not everybody can afford the money to buy them. If I have some piece of shit 1000 dollar winter beater, you think I'm going to buy winter tires that will cost me 2/3 of what the car cost me?
    Sorry to break it to you buddy, but if you know you should be getting winters and you don't because you cannot afford them, you shouldn't be driving in the winter.

    And your second point, if you want to call it that. Just wait until your 1000 shit box slams into some guy's 50,000 vehicle because it is ill-equipped.

    2) Oh the irony. So people who buy all-seasons, which come stock on most cars, are cheaper than winters, and don't have to be changed until they're bald, are the ones being brainwashed by the industry?
    But people who rush to pay $1000+ every winter to drive just as shitty as they did last year are the smart, savvy shoppers, who aren't getting brainwashed at all right?
    No one gets new winter tires every fucking season you goof. Face the facts right now. From main streets to side streets, there is a lot of ice on the roads right now. That's fine if you can get around "safely" with your all seasons in your $1000 shitbox, going 10km/h everywhere. Wait, no it isn't.

    Anyways, managed to find a gas station with sandbags in stock finally. Put 4 bags in the trunk and it's like night and day, so much better. I have to say I'm awfully disappointed with the traction control system though.

    I too wouldn't mind paying more for better snow removal. Even some of the transit routes through communities are still in rough condition.
    Last edited by msommers; 11-19-2010 at 12:47 PM.
    Follow me on Instagram and Facebook!

  8. #388
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    S.E. (not the drrty south)
    My Ride
    Blandness
    Posts
    7,012
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Originally posted by 403Gemini


    You're right, SNOW tires aren't going to help that... there are different types of winter tires, some are better suited for ice but not that great in deep snow, whereas others are the opposite, great in deep snow but still can't grip on ice.

    learn2shop
    Actually, those blizzaks are half decent. They're ice and snow rated, but as said...

    Originally posted by max_boost

    But they are still better than your summers and all seasons.
    I laugh at all the people babbling about winter tires being not necessary, and a waste of money.

    Well... what about your car mods? You think the $200 you spent on a CAI that gives you MAYBE 3hp was worth it? How about the $1000 exhaust system that gave you 10hp? Those weren't necessary either, your car drove just fine before you installed those too, BUT they give you BETTER PERFORMANCE, just like winters do in these conditions.

  9. #389
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Online
    My Ride
    Budget Baller
    Posts
    10,203
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    Not necessary, OK I guess I am alright with that.

    Waste of money? NEVER!
    Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In Beyond We Trust

  10. #390
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Unemployment Line
    My Ride
    GMT900
    Posts
    2,661
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    What time frame do you feel is acceptable for the roads to be cleared after the snow stops?
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

  11. #391
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Bicycle
    Posts
    413
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Is anything really good on ice other than studs?
    I have the little mountain on my tires, which indicates they're for severe conditions, but they aren't so great on the ice. Not bad in snow but not great either. Not sure how a true winter tire (snow and ice) performs as these are my first set (second snow season now) but will be looking to replace them next season so I can make some comparisons.

  12. #392
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Sorrow
    My Ride
    Hatred
    Posts
    3,634
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Originally posted by FraserB
    What time frame do you feel is acceptable for the roads to be cleared after the snow stops?
    1/2 an hour!
    -U

  13. #393
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    calgary alberta
    Posts
    206
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by msommers


    1) Sorry to break it to you buddy, but if you know you should be getting winters and you don't because you cannot afford them, you shouldn't be driving in the winter.

    2) And your second point, if you want to call it that. Just wait until your 1000 shit box slams into some guy's 50,000 vehicle because it is ill-equipped.



    3) No one gets new winter tires every fucking season you goof. Face the facts right now. From main streets to side streets, there is a lot of ice on the roads right now. That's fine if you can get around "safely" with your all seasons in your $1000 shitbox, going 10km/h everywhere. Wait, no it isn't.

    Anyways, managed to find a gas station with sandbags in stock finally. Put 4 bags in the trunk and it's like night and day, so much better. I have to say I'm awfully disappointed with the traction control system though.

    I too wouldn't mind paying more for better snow removal. Even some of the transit routes through communities are still in rough condition.
    1) Who the fuck are you to be telling me, or anyone else for that matter, that they shouldn't be driving in winter because they can't afford or DON'T WANT to buy winter tires? Just because you felt the need to spend a grand on winter tires for your shitty ass 350z with infinity badges, you think you have the right to prance around telling broke schmucks they can't drive their beaters without winter tires, when they're barely making enough to pay the bills?


    2) What the fuck is your point? That's what insurance is for isn't it? Ill-equipped compared to who? You?
    When you work for the Society of Automotive Engineers and have the authority to tell people who's allowed to drive based on how well equipped their car is, please, let me know, and I might even listen. You honestly think that accidents in the winter happen because of the tires your running? Not because of driver skill, experience, and safety precautions?

    3) That's exactly what I'm going to do. You can whip around in your super cool $1500 ice tires going 60km/hr? Go ahead. I'm going to drive as slow as I need to SAFELY get around without hitting someone or having someone slide into me, if it bothers you so much go lobby for mandatory winter tires during winter. It's hilarious how some people cry and complain about people going too slow and driving safely, but then cry and complain even more when those people speed up, not being able to drive within their skill level, and slam into you. Then it's "well wtf man, we have winter every year, slow the fuck down, you know it's snowy and icy, etc."

  14. #394
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Online
    My Ride
    Budget Baller
    Posts
    10,203
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    Scuderia, are you here just to stir shit up every time you post?
    Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In Beyond We Trust

  15. #395
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Calgary AB
    My Ride
    S2K
    Posts
    2,193
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    ^I put him on my ignore list a couple weeks ago, its been great.

  16. #396
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    calgary
    My Ride
    bmw
    Posts
    305
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by Guillermo


    i grew up near the great lakes and we got shitloads and shitloads more snow than here. we also had snow removal, and EVERYONE there just ran all seasons - no one had winter tires. and i even come from a family of mechanics, would (if anyone) would run winters.

    PLOW THE FUCKING ROADS!

    i grew up in the same area, and totally agree. calgary doesnt get much snow compared to other places. here the solution is to just dump rocks on the ground, would like to punch the guy in the face who thought up that idea.

  17. #397
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    My Ride
    08 GTI 6MT RS
    Posts
    105
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I agree with Scuderia.

  18. #398
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Vettel's #1
    My Ride
    Vettel's #1
    Posts
    1,176
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Originally posted by 403Gemini


    You're right, SNOW tires aren't going to help that... there are different types of winter tires, some are better suited for ice but not that great in deep snow, whereas others are the opposite, great in deep snow but still can't grip on ice.

    learn2shop
    Damn now I need summers, all seasons and 2 sets of winter tires!!! FUCK ME!!!

  19. #399
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    calgary
    My Ride
    bmw
    Posts
    305
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by Scuderia


    1) Who the fuck are you to be telling me, or anyone else for that matter, that they shouldn't be driving in winter because they can't afford or DON'T WANT to buy winter tires? Just because you felt the need to spend a grand on winter tires for your shitty ass 350z with infinity badges, you think you have the right to prance around telling broke schmucks they can't drive their beaters without winter tires, when they're barely making enough to pay the bills?


    2) What the fuck is your point? That's what insurance is for isn't it? Ill-equipped compared to who? You?
    When you work for the Society of Automotive Engineers and have the authority to tell people who's allowed to drive based on how well equipped their car is, please, let me know, and I might even listen. You honestly think that accidents in the winter happen because of the tires your running? Not because of driver skill, experience, and safety precautions?

    3) That's exactly what I'm going to do. You can whip around in your super cool $1500 ice tires going 60km/hr? Go ahead. I'm going to drive as slow as I need to SAFELY get around without hitting someone or having someone slide into me, if it bothers you so much go lobby for mandatory winter tires during winter. It's hilarious how some people cry and complain about people going too slow and driving safely, but then cry and complain even more when those people speed up, not being able to drive within their skill level, and slam into you. Then it's "well wtf man, we have winter every year, slow the fuck down, you know it's snowy and icy, etc."

    winter tires are a safety thing. you need to make sure you car is safe. if you cant afford to maintain a car, dont drive. eventually winter tires will be mandatory, as well as inspections. driving in these conditions with crap summer tires, is the same as driving around in the summer with ball joints ready to fall out, no brakes and so on. If I am driving on the same roads as you, fucking right the condition of your vehicle is my concern.

  20. #400
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Sorrow
    My Ride
    Hatred
    Posts
    3,634
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Just get studded snow tires and you're set. Studs for ice and the snow tires are usually more capable in the deeper snow.
    -U

Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 10 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. WTB: BlackBerry Storm or Storm Screen

    By Mista.2 in forum Cellular Products
    Replies: 1
    Latest Threads: 06-05-2011, 02:15 PM
  2. **Winter Storm WARNING- CALGARY**

    By LadyLuck in forum General
    Replies: 835
    Latest Threads: 12-10-2009, 01:52 PM
  3. Winter Storm Warning - March 21 / 09

    By LUCKYSTRIKE in forum General
    Replies: 137
    Latest Threads: 04-11-2009, 08:38 PM
  4. another storm warning

    By Kritafo in forum General
    Replies: 35
    Latest Threads: 04-20-2007, 05:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •