Quantcast
Winter Storm Warning for Calgary - Page 12 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter Storm Warning for Calgary

BTW, I just got my winter tires from Tunerworks. Excellent service, and they were able to beat tirerack's price. I highly recommend getting your tires there. them about the tirerack deal and they'll match or beat it.

My Ride
    This and that.

@n1zmo

I agree and I wouldn't say no to steelies either if I didn't have any other option. The only reason I am not too keen on them for my Z is because I already have two sets of rims/tires. An aftermarket 20" set and the OEM 18" one. So ideally I would just like to have winter tires mounted on the OEM set if I get a decent deal. Yea sure if I could drive my Z in the winter as well I wouldn't mind but if I can't it's not a big deal cause I have other cars that I can drive.
    Last edited by shakalaka; 11-16-2010 at 12:44 PM.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by shakalaka
    @n1zmo

I agree and I wouldn't say no to steelies either if I didn't have any other option. The only reason I am not too keen on them for my Z is because I already have two sets of rims/tires. An aftermarket 20" set and the OEM 18" one. So ideally I would just like to have winter tires mounted on the OEM set if I get a decent deal. Yea sure if I could drive my Z in the winter as well I wouldn't mind but if I can't it's not a big deal cause I have other cars that I can drive.
    Like I said, tirerack for $700US+Shipping, or as Guillermo said, go to a local place like UrbanX, or Tunerworks and see if they can beat tirerack.

That's half the price that you first said.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    This and that.

^Yea I am gonna check them out. I looked at tirerack as well and it comes to just over $830 after shipping (not sure about customs/taxes) which is a lot better than what I was quoted, albeit it's for a different brand.

My Ride
    04 Mini Cooper S JCW

Originally posted by shakalaka
    ^Yea I am gonna check them out. I looked at tirerack as well and it comes to just over $830 after shipping (not sure about customs/taxes) which is a lot better than what I was quoted, albeit it's for a different brand.
    Tirerack will give you an all-in quote which includes taxes/duty. I ordered a set of winters and wheels from them two years ago and it was half the cost of anything similar I could find locally. I got some nicer wheels and Blizzaks for $1,000. This is on a Mini Cooper S.

My Ride
    2011 Mustang GT

First of all...

Thanks Urban X for my Hankook winter tires! They rock!

an hour was added to my morning commute. total time spent: 1h45m including my 5 min stop for timmies.

Not as bad as I was expecting, still a slow-go on the highway.

Thinking of finding some empty parking lots tonight and practice controlling the car this year.
    Beyond's Most Wanted

My Ride
    Is fun!

I got a set of (five) alloy rims and winter tires from Tirerack - mounted/balanced and delivered for under $1000. I thought that was a pretty good deal.

(Oh - and that included a set of locking nuts and a pressure gauge as well).

Edit: I think the shipping has gone up quite a bit since I last ordered from them, though. Even though it's with UPS, I like how they quote all in pricing, duties/taxes 'n' all. What you see is what you pay and no messing about with border crap. Not too painful that way.
    Last edited by Wrinkly; 11-16-2010 at 01:05 PM.

My Ride
    2008 Impreza WRX

Originally posted by rage2
    Tip for all the Calgary drivers, if my RWD sport sedan can out accelerate, out handle, and outbrake your SUV in this weather, maybe it's time for some winter tires.
    Mind sharing what tires you use?

My commute to the UofC was maybe 10mins longer than usual. No biggie. Probably helps that I was a good 2 hrs after rush hour. I was worried about going up home rd. but seems the City at least sanded/de-iced the shit out of it because it was pretty good.

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

Originally posted by jjmac

Yikes

Weren't you also selling that car?
    Sure am/was. Price will be adjusted accordingly. Luckily it's only a corner light, fender and windshield.
    Originally posted by InRich
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    Originally posted by InRich
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

My Ride
    Whiney '02 WRX

Took me 20 minutes to get out of Woodbine. Pretty damn slippery.

Had a court date for 930, left at 835. Arrived downtown at 940. Turns out they have a 30 minute leeway on court hours. Thank God for the atrocious conditions out there, officer never showed, got off scot free on a 33 over (deerfoot) / $300 ticket. Ffffffuck yea!!

Way to go Mother Nature!

My Ride
    04 Rsx-s,07 Frontier, 11 ss/rs

Originally posted by Idratherbsidewayz
    Took me 20 minutes to get out of Woodbine. Pretty damn slippery.

Had a court date for 930, left at 835. Arrived downtown at 940. Turns out they have a 30 minute leeway on court hours. Thank God for the atrocious conditions out there, officer never showed, got off scot free on a 33 over (deerfoot) / $300 ticket. Ffffffuck yea!!

Way to go Mother Nature!
    Timing is everything as they say.

My Ride
    Harley Nightster

^ HAHAHAH nice!

My Ride
    is Invisible

Originally posted by CivicDXR

To me, thats part of vehicle maintenance. The $500 isn't that bad considering your all seasons/summers last maybe twice as long since they don't get used for half a year...

Winter tires help with confidence while driving. Not saying that you should be overconfident and not careful. It helps when you know you can stop better, and avoid emergency situations better. And its the ill equipped people that are causing the slowdowns and traffic, but they don't realize it.
    Fixing an alternator, changing spark plugs, replacing timing belt is a must, getting winter tires is not.

Im just giving u a different perspective and how ppl think.

Ive had winter tires on my car for 3 years and would never drive again on all seasons or summers.

I paid $800 for some goodyear winter tires with steelies installed from crappy tire, better tires than what kal tire wanted to sell me for the same price.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by CivicDXR

To me, thats part of vehicle maintenance. The $500 isn't that bad considering your all seasons/summers last maybe twice as long since they don't get used for half a year...

Winter tires help with confidence while driving. Not saying that you should be overconfident and not careful. It helps when you know you can stop better, and avoid emergency situations better. And its the ill equipped people that are causing the slowdowns and traffic, but they don't realize it.
    X1000

It's as simple as, watch the car at the intersection with all seasons. Lights go green and they are spinning and spinning and off I go and they are in the rear view mirror.

or

I'm trailing behind some guy and he's driving 20kms/h under the limit. Nothing wrong but he's probably scared haha More often than not, I find myself passing him lol

or

It's a red light ahead and I know we need to slow down but buddy is braking so far ahead, again he's probably scared lol I have no issues with passing him

Am I over confident? LOL no, my car is just better equipped for the conditions and hey, I'm a good driver and with winters, I'm even better hahaha

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Last few times I've ordered tires from TW they came in at or just below what Tirerack cost was.

Same with Canadian Tire on General Altimax tires they carry.

My Ride
    Squdixxer 600

Originally posted by max_boost
    X1000

It's as simple as, watch the car at the intersection with all seasons. Lights go green and they are spinning and spinning and off I go and they are in the rear view mirror.

or

I'm trailing behind some guy and he's driving 20kms/h under the limit. Nothing wrong but he's probably scared haha More often than not, I find myself passing him lol

or

It's a red light ahead and I know we need to slow down but buddy is braking so far ahead, again he's probably scared lol I have no issues with passing him

Am I over confident? LOL no, my car is just better equipped for the conditions and hey, I'm a good driver and with winters, I'm even better hahaha

Hi, I'm that guy... Sadly!

I'm not scared... I just need more room to shit my pants as I slide for a few meters.

Had no really big problems last year, might switch to a FWD car with winters this one.
    Last edited by Zigo; 11-16-2010 at 04:57 PM.

My Ride
    W204

Originally posted by inline6turbo
    First year on big fat studded winters. Wow. I highly recommend to everyone!
    Studded is the way to go!!! Sure our roads are usually bare pavement for most of the winter but when snow flies or roads get icy, they grip like mad!!!

People still cheap out on winter tires. I have no idea why. I think they still see winters as a luxury and not a necessity. I am a firm believer that they are the latter. Maybe it's time for the government to step in. Throw some ads on TV that show the difference in stopping distances between winters and A/S and put a kid out in front of each car.

Originally posted by hampstor
    the vehicle infront of me realized he just about missed his turn and slammed on the brakes.
    I am not sure what it is but for some reason, I see way more people pulling retarded shit like this when the roads are crappy. They turn when they're not supposed to, cut a billion lanes with no regard to traffic, etc, etc...
    Last edited by clem24; 11-16-2010 at 04:58 PM.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    NC1

What's everyone running for winters? I have Hankook ipike W409, a rip off of one of the Nokian Hakka ____ tires and for the price, so good in the snow. I was going to stud them but figured, ahh, over kill.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 22 ... LastLast