Quantcast
getting back into the gym - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: getting back into the gym

My Ride
    TL

Default getting back into the gym

my friend and i have been consistently getting into the gym and we want to know how our form is for our exercises. i think i'll upload the other videos later, but for now we have our squat and deadlift videos. any advice would really be appreciated

me trying 295
    Last edited by dandia89; 11-15-2010 at 10:53 PM.

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

You have no visible muscle on your legs or arms (might just be the camera angle), but still can push some pretty heavy weight.
    for posting a vid.
    Last edited by Modelexis; 11-15-2010 at 11:28 PM.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

My Ride
    is Invisible

Form seems to be on par.

Both guys need to go a bit lower on squats, and the guy in the orange shirt needs to lower the weight a bit and push with his legs instead of using his back to bring up the weight.

Hopefully that made sense.

My Ride
    NC1

Need to break parallel on the squat. It's a bit high.

Here's liquidboi

As for deadlift, it looks fine to me. If you can pull the weight and not feeling any back pain, that's a + if you ask me lol
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    TL

haha yeah I'm the guy in the orange shirt and it probably isn't the angle I am a skinny bastard. thanks for the tips ill definitely try a lower weight and get deeper

Are you trying to deadlift stiffleg or conventional? Because if you're trying to deadlift conventional you're doing it wrong. Also try not to bounce...or later on you'll find your weakness is off the floor and that's harder to work than a weak lockout.

You should be sitting down into your deads/having your hips rise at the same rate as your shoulders (much like a squat.) You probably have weak legs in comparison to your back so your body doesn't want to do this, but it's the ideal way to deadlift the most weight. Unless you are stifflegging to target a certain muscle more on purpose.

Back is arched/straight which is good however. You may want to play around with stance width. You're pretty narrow and if you're gonna try to conventional, you won't be able to sit in between yourself. Nice to see someone at UC that doesn't dead half way down lol.
    Last edited by liquidboi69; 11-16-2010 at 11:59 AM.

My Ride
    TL

i thought i was doing a straight leg set up, but after watching some videos i wasn't doing them properly. i think my main concern is to strengthen my back since my doctor said i had a lot of deconditioning due to sitting in a chair for 8-12 hours a day so i may want to switch to the normal deadlifts.

Not too bad Asad! But like everyone has been saying, try to get below 90 on your squat, bump the weight down to 185-205 and push yourself to go deep!

(P.s this is Allan)

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Originally posted by dandia89
    i thought i was doing a straight leg set up, but after watching some videos i wasn't doing them properly. i think my main concern is to strengthen my back since my doctor said i had a lot of deconditioning due to sitting in a chair for 8-12 hours a day so i may want to switch to the normal deadlifts.
    If this is the case, it's not that your back is weak - but you hips and hamstrings are Super tight.

Sitting also Elongates your glutes and they don't activate as they should.

Try doing some glute activation work (google search), Hip stretches AND mobility work, and Hamstring stretches.

Combine this with foamrolling and all can be done in under 10 minutes AND acts are you warmup too. The mobility stuff will get your heart going.

Bah, here:

Scroll down to Joe's Agile Eight.

http://www.defrancostraining.com/ask...tml#question04

Try that and your form will instantly improve.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    TL

haha sweet thanks allan

ya i've definitely been getting into the stretches and foam rolling, it has helped my knee out too. that hipflexor stretch seems intense, i'll try that next time.