Quantcast
What would you do if you were me? Transmission talk - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: What would you do if you were me? Transmission talk

Default What would you do if you were me? Transmission talk

Great so I just found out today that the year of the Civic I drive, a ton of reports online users having their auto transmissions dying due to faulty torque converters inside Honda trannys.

From what I gathered online.

Unfortunately Honda Civics 2001 have a torque converter that fails prematurely due to inferior clutch plate material. When the internal components shatters, the debri flows into the transmission and clogs the filter. This will cause a slip condition on all gears thus rendering the vehicle from moving. Most often, the vehicle will move when it is cold, but then within 5 -8 miles, the filter will clog up again and prevents proper fluid distribution.

The ideal and most practical solution to prevent this occurence is to replace the torque converter before it hits the 100K mile mark. A new or rebuilt part will contain the improved version of the clutch plate material.
    Thankfully my trans works perfect with no slipping at all. I dont know what the exact failure rate is for Hondas auto trannys in 01 but I googled it and one site has 505 reports of Honda 01 auto trans dying due to the torque convertor! I dont know about you but 505 is unheard of!!!!

I want to avoid the tranny dying because 1) When it happens, you cant fix it, your current tranny is shot and you need to buy a new one from Honda. And we all know how much a new trans is....

2) The safety issue. KNowing im driving a car with a trans with a ticking time bomb is extremely unsafe - you never know when its going to go off and could easily get in an accident.

So there, would you
    1) Order and replace the torque convertor NOW
    or
    2) Take your chances and not do a thing.

Dont say sell the car cause as much as this issue scares me i still love the car to death and plus i did a lot upgrades on it already, IT RUNS FLAWLESS...its just this trans issue that really scares me.

Right now im probably going to just order the torque convertor as my mechanics can install it, they will completely rebuild my trans if I want too but from what Ive read online completely rebuilding the trans is not nessecary as the new torque convertor will have a much improved version of the clutch plate material which on OEM is weak and a huge part of the cause.

Ive read from some users online who did this and saved them from having to pay for a new trans.

So heres a question for the ultra tech gurus. Do I have to get the OEM honda torque convertor or can i go aftermarket like a performance one?
    Last edited by copynpaste; 11-15-2010 at 09:54 PM.
    Originally posted by Thaco
    get an lcd for anywhere, with the 120/240hz it's superior in all ways.
    LOL

My Ride
    1.2 GIGAWATT CUISINART POWERED DELOREAN

Just wait for something to happen...Take it from there...and maybe start saving up in case something happens
    “I don’t understand bus lanes. Why do poor people have to get to places quicker than I do?” -Jeremy Clarkson

My Ride
    16' Tacoma Offroad

You only ever hear reports of cars going bad, not the good ones.

I work on a shit load of 2000-2004ish era civics and I've yet to see any with transmission problems, they are rock solid cars and you shouldn't lose sleep over a problem that other owners may have experienced.

Maybe if you drive the snot out of the car you should worry, but I would just flush the ATF at 100,000k or whenever your manual suggests and not worry.

Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
    You only ever hear reports of cars going bad, not the good ones.

THat is true, but still 505 reports on just one site! YIKES!

I work on a shit load of 2000-2004ish era civics and I've yet to see any with transmission problems, they are rock solid cars and you shouldn't lose sleep over a problem that other owners may have experienced.
    But what % of those cars you worked on are actually autos? Cause id say 9 out of 10 civic drivers drive standard and this trans issue seems to only be afftected with the autos solely due to the Torque convertor inside them.

[/QUOTE]Maybe if you drive the snot out of the car you should worry, but I would just flush the ATF at 100,000k or whenever your manual suggests and not worry.
    [/QUOTE]

Manual recommends ATF every 50,000km, I play it safe and do mine every 35,000km. Now after reading all this, I think i will go into paranoid mode and double up my ATFs and change my ATF every 15,000km.
    LOL

No offense but I think you are WAYYY too paranoid about everything with your car judging from all your previous posts. Changing your ATF every 15,000KM? are you mad? That's not going to help. If it breaks, it'll break. Then just get the tranny flushed, new converter, and a new filter screen. Also why would you get the transmission rebuilt if it's working fine? I don't know how you sleep at night worrying about these things all the time.

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Change the fluid as per the manual. Opening up the transmission to change the fluid makes it more likely to fail, and doing it every 15,000km will make more trouble than it will prevent. Leave the dipstick in place, check it every 10,000-20,000km and change it every 50,000km as per the manual (and inspect it externally for leaks every oil change).
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    06 Civic DX-g

Originally posted by copynpaste

THat is true, but still 505 reports on just one site! YIKES!

But what % of those cars you worked on are actually autos? Cause id say 9 out of 10 civic drivers drive standard and this trans issue seems to only be afftected with the autos solely due to the Torque convertor inside them.

Maybe if you drive the snot out of the car you should worry, but I would just flush the ATF at 100,000k or whenever your manual suggests and not worry. [/QUOTE]

Manual recommends ATF every 50,000km, I play it safe and do mine every 35,000km. Now after reading all this, I think i will go into paranoid mode and double up my ATFs and change my ATF every 15,000km. [/B][/QUOTE]
    505 cars out of how many hundred thousand of that generation civic. Think about, your odds of having the same problem are like hitting the lottery.
    I drive an 06 civic dx and they are known for cracked engine blocks and porous head castings, I sure as hell am not going to replace my engine right now because there is a possibility that it may fail. I have 167,000 km's and the old girl is still going strong with no problems. You are driving one of the more reliable cars on the road, relax.

My Ride
    Bicycle

I did receive a letter about possible coolant leak on 06-08 Civics due to manufacturing fault and warranty on the block will be extended to 8 years instead of 5.

For a company that lacks any exotic technology, they sure sucked on quality of late.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 11-16-2010 at 11:21 AM.

Originally posted by johnboy27
    Maybe if you drive the snot out of the car you should worry, but I would just flush the ATF at 100,000k or whenever your manual suggests and not worry.
    Manual recommends ATF every 50,000km, I play it safe and do mine every 35,000km. Now after reading all this, I think i will go into paranoid mode and double up my ATFs and change my ATF every 15,000km. [/B][/QUOTE]
    505 cars out of how many hundred thousand of that generation civic. Think about, your odds of having the same problem are like hitting the lottery.
    I drive an 06 civic dx and they are known for cracked engine blocks and porous head castings, I sure as hell am not going to replace my engine right now because there is a possibility that it may fail. I have 167,000 km's and the old girl is still going strong with no problems. You are driving one of the more reliable cars on the road, relax. [/B][/QUOTE]

Well true btu this is just for a specific year model, a year isnt a generation in terms of car models. At least i dont think.
    LOL

bump
    LOL

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Originally posted by Cooked Rice
    No offense but I think you are WAYYY too paranoid about everything with your car judging from all your previous posts. Changing your ATF every 15,000KM? are you mad? That's not going to help. If it breaks, it'll break. Then just get the tranny flushed, new converter, and a new filter screen. Also why would you get the transmission rebuilt if it's working fine? I don't know how you sleep at night worrying about these things all the time.

Exactly, hes even worse than Kritafo. I read a report online that the same Civic you have, if people drive them longer than 10 mins, the engine pistons hits the valves and causes excess fuel to seep in from the injectors causing the engine to blow up. OMG I think you should sell your car now.

And WTF, bumping your thread?This isn't a FOR SALE thread you idiot.

We should limit you to 1 thread/week only.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

LOL either you're a really good troll, or a 17 year old with their first car. You make way too many stupid threads. You don't change your atf every 15000km. Rebuilding a perfectly good tranny and replacing a perfectly good torque converter is such a moronic idea, and not only that, were talking about a 2001 civic, one of the most reliable cars ever made, and I have NEVER even HEARD of a single tranny going on those civics.

LOL the OP recently got flamed on the RFD forums for making too many stupid threads, so I guess that's why he's off to making threads on Beyond now.

My Ride
    Blue boy

Originally posted by nobb
    LOL the OP recently got flamed on the RFD forums for making too many stupid threads, so I guess that's why he's off to making threads on Beyond now.
    I PM'd him once and offered to change his shocks for him, he didn't want to do it then he texts me randomly about his car.

My Ride
    06 Civic DX-g

Originally posted by Xtrema
    I did receive a letter about possible coolant leak on 06-08 Civics due to manufacturing fault and warranty on the block will be extended to 8 years instead of 5.

For a company that lacks any exotic technology, they sure sucked on quality of late.
    You actually received a letter about this? I heard about them extending the engine warranty in the states but heard it was just that, Honda America extending and not Honda Canada. Wow, I should go see the dealer and make sure it is valid. I heard the American one is unlimited mileage also.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Originally posted by nobb
    Damn.

Man, I feel sorry for OP. He needs people to tell him what to wear for interviews, asks easily Google'd questions, no one takes his advice seriously because of it, and now I realize he gets ridiculed not only on Beyond but on other forums. I really hope OP isn't over 20 years old..

Most people who take extra precautions about everything up to a level that seems they're paranoid typically are ones that have very limited knowledge of what they are dealing with.