Quantcast
Snow Blowers - Noise - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Snow Blowers - Noise

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Default Snow Blowers - Noise

I'm wondering how noisy the little 8 hp snow blowers are. Are they as loud as a normal lawn mower?

TIA
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

Probably worse - I know the ones we use at our outdoor community rink are quite noisy. Was using one today to clear off the rink and my ears do ring a bit after using it for a while.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Red with stripes and a shitbox truck

Yeah they're super loud. Definitely louder than a lawnmower.

My Ride
    All made in Japan.

It depends on the maker, I know my family has a newer Honda snowblower and it is quieter than my uncle's (Sears maybe?). As my dad blows out his driveway between 6-7am he wanted the quietest one on the market as his area is a complaint zone (lawyers make for bad neighbours) and he has not heard a peep. I also think the Honda allows one to blow snow on the idle setting as I recall the last time I had the pleasure, as long as the snow is light it works fine.

Some solid information in here, as for the noise level I only skimmed the many paged article.

http://www.consumersearch.com/snow-blowers/review

A four stroke engine is quieter than a two stroke engine, a reminder. This Yamaha seems rather quiet: http://vimeo.com/2604216

I used to live opposite a Safeway, one learns Calgary gets a ton of snow and it needs to me removed.... all freakin' night long. Leaf blowers are really loud, no law against it as a Safeway is a commercial zone. So I sold my condo (in the summer) and moved on.

Good to see someone else cares about noise as much as I do. Where are the hybrid motors for lawn and snow use?
    Last edited by Muji; 11-17-2010 at 07:10 PM.

My Ride
    boosted awd

Originally posted by Muji
    Where are the hybrid motors for lawn and snow use?
    Electric blowers? haha

My Ride
    All made in Japan.

Originally posted by .norco.

Electric blowers? haha
    They said the same of hybrid vehicles not so very long ago, and now we are all going to be only driving these vehicles in our lifetime. Yes the electric blowers are terrible for any heavy, wet or beyond a few inches of snow. All this may have changed as I have not used one in years and technology has advanced everything. I used a brand new electric lawnmower this summer, it was terrific, so much better than the one I used a decade ago. The cord is still a bitch though.
    Last edited by Muji; 11-17-2010 at 07:37 PM.

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

I've got a Toro 1800 electric snowblower that I bought a few weeks ago.

I've got a double driveway and uses it yesterday and today. Took me 20 mins to clear the entire driveway (it was throwing the snow roughly 25 feet) and went and did it again this morning without any issues.

The fellow across the street had a smaller gas powered unit and it was much louder than mine (which is about the same as an electric lawnmower).

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

I was really hoping to find that some newer gas powered units would be quiet enough but I'm often out there at 5:30 AM. Something the same volume as a lawnmower is not an option. I haven't read too much good about the electric units either. I live on a corner so I've got a double driveway plus 160 ft of sidewalk. Oh well, I guess it's shovel, shovel & more shovel.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

If you're thinking of buying a snow blower, instead use a backpack blower (aka a leaf blower) they are FANTASTIC for the snow. Only they dont work too well in heavily packed snow, or when its wet slushy stuff.

They go faster then using a snow blower, and take up practically no space, the Red Max & Stihl ones aren't at all hard to start in winter even down to -30, if you do get a Stihl, do NOT buy a 4-mix (two stroke/4 stroke hybrid). Most of them aren't any louder then a lawnmower. Just a different pitch if anything. Thats what I bought for my dad for X-mas, and he just adores it. Best gift ever.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    03 Mdx, 05 Gli

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
    If you're thinking of buying a snow blower, instead use a backpack blower (aka a leaf blower) they are FANTASTIC for the snow. Only they dont work too well in heavily packed snow, or when its wet slushy stuff.

They go faster then using a snow blower, and take up practically no space, the Red Max & Stihl ones aren't at all hard to start in winter even down to -30, if you do get a Stihl, do NOT buy a 4-mix (two stroke/4 stroke hybrid). Most of them aren't any louder then a lawnmower. Just a different pitch if anything. Thats what I bought for my dad for X-mas, and he just adores it. Best gift ever.

I can't say I agree with you... unless you're outside with the blower while it's snowing or it was a very light snow.

We have both a Redmax 8050 (I think) and new Echo 770. Both are extremely powerful as far as blowers go, but neither does a great job, unless either condition above was met.

I've found as soon as anybody walks over any of the snow or it sits for more than a couple hours it doesn't work very well... at least not as well as a snowblower.

I just brought home a 48" commercial sweeper to try out on the driveway/oval/walkways... never used one before, but I'm hoping it works well.

My Ride

If you have the right blower angle, the packed snow comes right off. If you have too steep of an angle you're absolutely right, it doesnt come off. But if you have about a 30 degree angle it flies right off. Not only that, but you can always agitate the snow off the concrete with a light touch of the snout of blower tubes itself. From there it'll just fly off.
    Sweepers do work great. (try a BCS or a Gravely if you want value) but for 90% of the time, unless its hard packed ice/snow then you can get away just fine with mere blowers.
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 11-18-2010 at 12:45 AM.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    oooo

I have a BR600 back pack blower (the biggest Stihl you can get) and have used it for the last 4 years.

It works perfectly, only maybe 2 or 3 days a year where the snow is too heavy or deep to blow it.

I had a craftsman snow blower before that I got rid of because I never used it, the back pack blower is waaaay faster.

BUT you have to get a really big blower, the Echo back pack blower @ home depot is useless. Might as well just stick a straw in your ass and fart on the driveway.
    2017 VW Jetta 1.4T (winter car)
    2010 F-350 Nortruck Tool Shed
    2007 BMW 5 (Wifey's)
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T 6spd Stage III w/ Meth
    1985 F-250 6.9L IDI w/ATS turbo

My Ride
    FIAT SPORT

Originally posted by sillysod

BUT you have to get a really big blower, the Echo back pack blower @ home depot is useless. Might as well just stick a straw in your ass and fart on the driveway.
    Hahaha, made my day man!

My Ride
    Avalanche/Nightrod

I have a tiny gas snowblower and its probably twice as loud as my lawnmower.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

I use a shovel. I find it works very well, and I'm usually done in half the time than it takes my friend to unpack his snowblower, fire it up, blow all the snow, then go over it with a shovel to get the scrub snow as well, then put it all away.

Now, I do have considerable experience with a snowblower, as when growing up we had a unistone driveway that was as long as most calgary properties, and I did use it then. We also lived north of edmonton. It was useful when the snow was over a foot, or we needed to make more room in the snowpiles.

But for calgary? It's a waste of money in my opinion.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

Find a Toronto fan, and get a Leaf blower to shovel for you.

Originally posted by teamPRO

howbout suck my black kettle...

My Ride
    oooo

Originally posted by codetrap
    I use a shovel. I find it works very well, and I'm usually done in half the time than it takes my friend to unpack his snowblower, fire it up, blow all the snow, then go over it with a shovel to get the scrub snow as well, then put it all away.

Now, I do have considerable experience with a snowblower, as when growing up we had a unistone driveway that was as long as most calgary properties, and I did use it then. We also lived north of edmonton. It was useful when the snow was over a foot, or we needed to make more room in the snowpiles.

yeah actual snow blower is kinda useless in Calgary. Most of the time the snow is light and fluffy and super easy to shovel.

The backpack blower though I find to be the quickest by far. Cleans as quickly as you can walk.
    2017 VW Jetta 1.4T (winter car)
    2010 F-350 Nortruck Tool Shed
    2007 BMW 5 (Wifey's)
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T 6spd Stage III w/ Meth
    1985 F-250 6.9L IDI w/ATS turbo

My Ride

Originally posted by codetrap

I agree, I sold my snow-blower because its not worth it....
    but it takes me all of 2 minutes to fire up any blower. That and its no heavy work to use, Shoveling? fuck that.... Thanks but not killing my back to me makes sense.
    If your buddy has that much trouble getting his blower running, then hes using the wrong fuel mixture, I assume its too rich.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Graham, it runs like a top actually. But he's gotta walk around the house. Unlock/open up the shed. Pull out the blower.. start it.. drive it around to the front.. etc..

By that time, I'm already half done.

I tried using my shopvac leaf blower attachment once.. all I did was create a mini blizzard. I also like the clean defined lines a shovel gives.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."