Quantcast
Abandoned cities & ghost islands of around the world - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Abandoned cities & ghost islands of around the world

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Exclamation Abandoned cities & ghost islands of around the world

I always have found this sort of stuff brilliantly interesting, just that whole abandoned cities & once populated islands and the like. I thought I'd make a thread from some of my bookmarks to show other people as well.... here some of them are.

http://www.cafeterra.info/2009/01/hashima.html
    (scroll down a bit)
    ^this was a large Japanese mining island owned by Mitsubishi. Its prohibited to visit here, doing so will result in severe punishment. It holds the record for the most populated place ever recorded.

http://gothicteasociety.blogspot.com.../poveglia.html
    http://www.scaryforkids.com/haunted-island/
    ^ this is a small island just a hop & skip from Venice. From around 1000A.D. it was used as a medical quarantine for plague victims. 100,000's were burned & buried there. Its arguably the most haunted place in the world. Of which became an insane asylum in 1922. Later the surgeon was accused of performing terrible torturous crimes against its "inmates" so he threw himself off that 1200A.D. built clock tower. The locals avoid it like its the plague itself, as they consider it a demon infested hell. Its also incredibly off limits.... and thats *IF* you can find a boatman to take you there... Watch the videos, their very interesting. Google it for more info.

http://englishrussia.com/index.php/2...e-launch-site/
    ^An abandoned Russian missle launch site

This gem is our own. This is in Vancouver! totally cool to see! a 1903 built power station. Very steam punk!
    http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2009...and-power.html

http://englishrussia.com/index.php/2...wn/#more-25166
    ^ a once Russian city of 300,000, now a ghost town

http://pripyat.com/en/photo_gallery/pripyat/
    ^ Pripyat was once a big bustling city, about the size of Saskatoon, but after Chernobyl it was too radiated to live there, so the whole city was forced to pack up and leave. Now you have this decaying corpse of a city thats left to rott. Quite interesting seeing the equipment graveyards of vehicles used in the actual Chernobyl incident, the radiation level of those vehicles are still ungodly high.

http://englishrussia.com/index.php/tag/abandoned/
    ^ A huge photo blog of this sort of stuff.
    (this Englishrussia site is fantastic for this stuff)

This upcoming summer I'll be heading up to Uranium City in the EXTREME NW corner of Sask.

It was once a city of 80,000-100k, just a bustling mecca of a mining town. Then in the 1960's it was discovered that through improvements in Nuclear technology, that the uranium they were mining was now completely useless.
    So, the whole town packed up and left, including law enforcement. What few residents that remained were forced to fend for themselves against the vandals & thieves that now roamed the city. Now its pretty much a ghost town much like Pripyat. A trip down to their mines is strictly forbidden, as their safe guards were as primitive as nuclear technology back then. One hour in one of those mines is as much Nuclear exposure as one should take in a whole year.
    Oddly enough there is airline service quite frequently over there.

EDIT: here are a few more. This was once a huge TOP secret Russian submarine base. Its corresponding town was never known by the public. Only in the fall of communism was its whereabouts known.
    http://englishrussia.com/index.php/2...ubmarine-base/

An abandoned HUGE Romanian salt mine.
    http://planetoddity.com/abandoned-salt-mine-in-romania/
    ^ quite an interesting culture of people that lived their lives within the confines of that place.
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 11-18-2010 at 01:04 AM.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

That gothic one is cool!
    2011 Mercedes C63 AMG //2009 Mercedes C350 SOLD //2008 BMW 335i SOLD //2006 Mercedes C Sold// 2002 BMW M3 SOLD// 2004 Porsche C4S SOLD// 2006 Audi S4 SOLD// 2005 Audi 1.8T SS SOLD// 2004 Subaru STi SOLD// 1994 LHD Toyota Supra SOLD//1993 LHD Mazda RX-7 SOLD // 2002 Honda S2000 SC SOLD// 2004 Range Rover SOLD//

My Ride
    is Invisible

cool stuff

the abandoned missle sit pictures say chink 2008.

Here's a cool site with tons of photos of abandoned towns, factories, hospitals, etc. Lots in Eastern Europe.

http://www.abandoned-places.com/

The site layout is a little artsy, but just click on the photo galleries on the right hand side of the first page, which will take you to the next page of a couple dozen gallery links.

Definitely worth a look if this sort of thing interests you.

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

Went through a bunch of these just a couple days ago, always so interesting.

My Ride
    F430, M3, 911

very cool

I believe the secret Russian Submarine base was covered on an episode of Cities of the Underworld, very interesting episode to!

My Ride
    17 Civic HB Sport

amazing, but no amount of money could make me step foot into that tunnel!
    What kind of birdhouse can you build with popsicles, roofies, and a rubber mallet?
    "It's for a rare African bird called "none your business."
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    If you were straight I'd eat you like a BLT sandwich with extra Bacon. And I fucking LOVE bacon.

My Ride
    AP1 / CRV

russian sub base is wicked

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Originally posted by LadyLuck

amazing, but no amount of money could make me step foot into that tunnel!
    lol ^ oh I beg to differ, so you wouldn't walk down 50ft of that tunnel for $10k?. Really, that isn't even creepy in comparison to half the stuff I posted in this thread already.
    At the end of the day: its just an un-used subway tunnel.
    Even Calgary has its own abandoned subway system that lies beneath 8th ave SW, only spiraling outwards from there. Just google it for more info, its been quarantined off since the late 80's. Abandoned due to massive cost overruns.
    Today its few subway stations are only visitable through its only entrance via a gateway in city hall somewhere.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    17 Civic HB Sport

^ It may not be creepy to you, but no amount of money can buy me out of my fears. Im sure there's plenty of abandoned tunnels everywhere, but there's a good reason I haven't gone creeping through any of them lol
    What kind of birdhouse can you build with popsicles, roofies, and a rubber mallet?
    "It's for a rare African bird called "none your business."
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    If you were straight I'd eat you like a BLT sandwich with extra Bacon. And I fucking LOVE bacon.

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Originally posted by LadyLuck
    ^
    It may not be creepy to you, but no amount of money can buy me out of my fears. Im sure there's plenty of abandoned tunnels everywhere, but there's a good reason I haven't gone creeping through any of them lol

I'd give it a go with you if you wanted...You know I'm chicken shit...so we could have power in numbers...

But, there are some really cool places in the links provided...

**EDIT**

It's Justin Timberlake...
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride
    1988 Accord, 1990 4Runner SR5

This is actually a really cool post. I always sort of wonder about these kind of things. Many of those places would be creepy as hell to check out, but kind of cool. Now this one, you could not get me to go to, something about an abandoned mental hospital just gives me the heeby jeebiez http://englishrussia.com/index.php/2...um/#more-17821

I remember watching a show on history channel called under ground history or something like that. Thy showed that underground sub base. It's crazy. I remember because of those HUGE blast doors. Very cool.

I also remember someone post something like this where they would copy the town and place them in video games. I'm pretty sure they were modern warfare games. Also Kool to see.

Awesome thread idea.

**edit** I didn't see that someone already posted that it was covered on that tv show I was talking about...it's late...
    Last edited by BlackRadon; 11-18-2010 at 05:26 AM.
    you aint dubbin. if you aint rubbin.

My Ride
    CRF 250L

friend of mine was working in Romania and he ended up getting a ride in a taxi to the abandoned city that supported all of the workers for a nuclear power plant. The plant had been decommissioned cores removed etc... Since the plant was the only reason for the cities existence everything was abandoned. Very very creepy.

EDIT:
    And what we used to do in highschool was go to an abandoned mental facility haha

'Padova City' in Kamloops.

Turns out it's not a city at all but a small town that was used to house tuberculosis patients and it was completely self-sufficient! They grew their own crops, they butchered their own cattle and pigs.. and then they all died. There's a railroad that winds through the center of the town that would bring them supplies but other than the doctors and nurses who lived on-site there was no contact with the outside world.. There came a time where everyone did die (thousands) and instead of plowing the land and re-building, they turned the whole place into a huge mental hospital..
    The buildings inside are fascinating, there's a church some big towers, a childrens ward and large houses strewn around for people with money to die comfortably in I suppose.. I've been sneaking around this place for a while now and I've taken some pictures of the pig farm that burned down just on the outskirts and I'm in the process of organizing a little "tour" and taking plenty more.. Pictures pending.
    Last edited by broken_legs; 11-18-2010 at 06:17 AM.
    TRUTH: it's the new hate speech.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

Default Re: Abandoned cities & ghost islands of around the world

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
    This upcoming summer I'll be heading up to Uranium City in the EXTREME NW corner of Sask.

It was once a city of 80,000-100k, ...
    I don't think that's right. Anything I have seen on it says it didn't crack 5000 people before the mines closed in the 80s.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Cool finds!

Beyond meet in Poveglia?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast