Quantcast
XBox RROD...tried everything - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: XBox RROD...tried everything

My Ride
    '97 BMW 328is M-Sport

Angry XBox RROD...tried everything

My 360 RROD'd on me about 5 months ago. After reading all the stuff I could get my hands on, I bought the Team Xecuter RROD repair kit. Worked brilliantly, until about a week ago when it went on me again. The error code that the flash gives me is 0102, which means:

E18: Error in the "Digital Backbone" (CPU/GPU/RAM), this is usually caused by a cold solder joint between the GPU and the mainboard.

The two recommended fixes (xclamp and reheat) I've already done with the Xecuter kit.

I'm on my last ideas here. I opened it up and re-applied the thermal paste (took all the old stuff off) and it worked for a couple days, then today it started freezing and finally went back to the RROD.

If anybody has some good suggestions, fire them over. I got laid off and I'm up to my eyeballs in debt, buying a new one is out of the question. I've got eyes out for another RROD box that I can try and fix but I'm desperate...the xbox is how I get TV on my TV (streaming through my xbox wireless) and my only DVD player.

Edit: I also upgraded the "MK1" heatsink to the MKII style when I did the first repair, which was suggested by the Xecutor guys.
    Last edited by 97'Scort; 11-19-2010 at 02:35 AM.
    Originally posted by FraserB
    I think their main complaint is that they did not receive the stolen property they paid for.

did you try wrapping it in a towel and running it for a bit to see what happens?

My Ride
    AP1 / CRV

my brother mods and repairs consoles. shoot me a PM with your email if you want me to forward you his contact info and see if he can give you some advice.

He provides his services if people arent comfortable doing a mod or repair on their own and I know he is also happy to provide support with his knowledge and experience to those who are attempting repairs on their own free of charge.

My Ride
    Some wedges.

Originally posted by Jeremiah
    did you try wrapping it in a towel and running it for a bit to see what happens?
    This is the retarded way to do it..

If you want to do it "right", without access to a reflow station:
    -Open it up, remove heatsink, drop some flux under the GPU ( I suggest you find some residue free flux)
    -Replace heatsink, clamps etc
    -Set the fan on the CPU only. Use cardboard or something to block off the GPU heatsinks.
    -Let it cook for a while...should get hot enough that you can't touch the heatsink.
    -Once it's sufficiently hot for a few minutes, shut 'er down. -Let it cool completely (while it's hot be sure not to do anything that can disturb the placement of the chip. If it moves while the solder is liquid, consider your box fucked.)
    -Try it out....profit?

If all is well after, I highly suggest wiring your fans to 12V or something above 5.
    WTB:
    87+ AW11 ds valence panel, ds fender, rear visor. Burgundy interior parts as well.
    7th gen Celica antenna assembly

Please PM me, thanks!

Actually you dont even have to time it. It will get to a point where its thermal overload protection will kick in and it will turn off on its own.

Just remember that all of these fixes are just bandaids and you are on borrowed time right from the getgo. I got almost 18 months out of mine when I fixed it, but after that, there was nothing I could do.
    dv/dt

My Ride
    Bicycle

Just go buy a new one.

My Ride
    Mazda 3 GT

Default Re: XBox RROD...tried everything

Originally posted by 97'Scort

I got laid off and I'm up to my eyeballs in debt, buying a new one is out of the question.

Originally posted by Xtrema
    Just go buy a new one.

lol.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

I fixed one of these a few months ago. I let it run wrapped in a towel for 15 minutes, turned it off, let it cool and turned it back on. Worked perfect........for about a week.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

Originally posted by Mar
    I fixed one of these a few months ago. I let it run wrapped in a towel for 15 minutes, turned it off, let it cool and turned it back on. Worked perfect........for about a week.
    thats what i did and it craped out on me about a month ago, but i had the halo eddition one the green one, now it gave me 1 red ring but 3 or 4 just 1 so i just bought a new one lol

My Ride
    4g63 powered

i know how to fix them

My Ride
    '97 BMW 328is M-Sport

Originally posted by Ashkente

This is the retarded way to do it..
    I did all that, I've re-done the thermal paste twice, both times with good arctic silver. Upgraded to a 12V fan as well, cooling is not an issue anymore.

I guess I'm just on a hunt for a used one. v2kai, I'll send my e-mail.
    Originally posted by FraserB
    I think their main complaint is that they did not receive the stolen property they paid for.

My Ride
    AP1 / CRV

Originally posted by 97'Scort

I did all that, I've re-done the thermal paste twice, both times with good arctic silver. Upgraded to a 12V fan as well, cooling is not an issue anymore.

I guess I'm just on a hunt for a used one. v2kai, I'll send my e-mail.
    just sent you the contact details, hope he can help you out.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Originally posted by Jetta-2.0

thats what i did and it craped out on me about a month ago, but i had the halo eddition one the green one, now it gave me 1 red ring but 3 or 4 just 1 so i just bought a new one lol
    The number of rings is a code, you can actually do a sequence of button presses on the front of the console and it'll spit out a code for you in a series of blinks that translates to the issue if you look up the codes online. If yours isn't 3 rings, you have a different issue.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.