Quantcast
my k20a eg build - Page 17 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: my k20a eg build

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

TCS to keep those thumping 115 ft lbs in line.

My Ride
    goes like woah

Originally posted by Sentry
    TCS to keep those thumping 115 ft lbs in line.
    Lol ya I know, I wonder how the system actually works on this car, as of right now when I got the car it was disconnected, so I'm not too sure how well it works, and it's not even like this engine has the power to spin tires anyways lol

My Ride
    goes like woah

Hello beyond, so I have been slowly plugging away removing parts from the car, I have lots of the interior removed as well as the rear end basically fully disassembled, I don't think I'll be putting in hours like I did on the rootbeer eg, but I will definitely work on it a little every day, I have a big pile of parts laying around that I need to clean and restore before I put them away, not too sure if I am going to do that before I remove the rest of the interior or not, I have encountered quite a few cross threaded screws in the interior which is really pissing me off, it makes a 20 second job into 20 minutes atleast, quite frustrating, but I am hoping I don't come across any more lol, anyways here are some pics

Wiring harness and lines disconnected from rear end, for the most part lol

Head liner and center console and carpet removed

Rear end coming apart slowly, I will be leaving the body panels on for bodywork minus the rear bumper, that has to be removed for quarter panels

Parts accumulating

I found a Jdm coin, IM RICH BIATCH

That is it for now, I will have some more progress in a couple days

*EDIT* if a mod sees this can he change the name of the thread to "my eg restorations"
    Last edited by derek_k; 10-08-2013 at 08:56 PM.

My Ride
    eg6

nice keep up the good job.How big is your garage ? Looks like a mini shop

My Ride
    goes like woah

Hello beyond, I have been slowly working on the car throughout the week and have made some progress. I have all the interior panels out with most of the wiring all sorted out in the interior. I now need to remove the engine which will be happening soon and get everything out so I can start the body work. I spent quite a long time cleaning all the interior pieces inside and out before I put them all away in my house, there is a small pile of things I need to replace so far, some of them are questionable, just need to either work on them some more or just replace it hopefully, parts are kinda hard to find lol. I have discovered that this car was in an accident before, I need to investigate further once I get to the body work stage, I can never catch a break with my cars I buy lol, oh well, just gotta fix it, the rocker panel is fine, it's purely the quarter panel and slightly into the door jam. Anyways here are some pics

Rear end all disconnected, just the suspension and gas tank left

All the weld marks from pulling the panel back out

Rocker panel is fine

Rust that needs to be addressed

Sand blasted this briefly to see how bad the metal was, it's fucked lol

Dash gone and doors stripped down

Clean parts

Parts that need replacing

Anyways that's it for now, I'll have an update in the near future

My Ride
    Has either 2 or 4 wheels

Where in the world did you find a garage like that in the city? Or are you outside of the city?
    Signature..... I ate it!!

My Ride
    goes like woah

I live outside of the city now, the garage is 27x37

My Ride

I love your work! so clean and organized! i always end up spending more time finding the previous tool i just used lol! took me 3 hours to install HID's because i forgot were i placed my wrench

And how far are you out of the city? i would get security cameras to be on the safe side.

My Ride
    goes like woah

Hello beyond, I have been slowly working on the car and have made some progress, I have some more of the wiring harness removed on the drivers side, I have the fuse panel and charge harness removed, as well as the abs fuse box. I have the fenders off and the wheel wells stripped down a little bit, side skirts are removed and I have found quite a bit of rust on the rocker panels, not too excited about that cause it's gonna need to be replaced, I have been looking at the floor pan of this car and every seat is sagging where the feet go, I am going to need to figure something out to repair that. There are spots of rust everywhere on this car, there is going to be lots of sandblasting and repair work needed to get this back in the shape I want it to be. I have found a set of rims I want to purchase, I can't bite the bullet on buying them though, although I would like them for when I fit my quarter panels, the offset is pretty retarded, but when you are replacing all the panels on the car it's pretty easy to make them fit any rim size. I don't like cars that rub lol. Anyways here's some pics, I'd like to get this engine out soon, I drained the oil and coolant and removed the rad.

For a before comparison

Still lots to remove over here

More wiring removed from inside

And that's about it for now, I have cleaned up some more random parts before they go away, I am in no speedy rush to do this, I am trying to keep all the clips for now, although I'll barely be using any of them seems I need to remove all the wiring I am no longer using in the car,so I'm sure I'll have to cut all the oem ones.

Hope to have some more progress soon

My Ride
    Integra 01, 4runner 92

This build sounds like it's going to be awesome. I have always wanted and EG just can't come to terms with selling my dc2. Keep it up!

My Ride
    goes like woah

Hello beyond, I have been working on my car a little more than I thought I'd be able to and have got the front almost all disassembled. I would have to say I am about 75% there to having the car stripped, but I have the engine out, the ac system removed, the power steering system mainly removed, I plan to be getting a manual steering rack or deleting the power steering, I am not a fan of it. The abs system will be removed completely including the wiring for it, as for traction control, I still don't know where the system lives or if it's even In here, all I have found is the module, I have no clue how it would "stop" the tires from spinning, but that will prolly be removed as well. The battery bracket that holds it was giving me a huge pain in the ass during the whole engine removal, the two bolts that are deep down in the bracket that go into the frame were hella seized and stripped, no chance of getting it off without cutting the bolts, so I bent the bracket up to get the wiring and lines I needed out for the ac system from underneath it, once the engine was out and I could remove the brake line that was resting on it where I needed to cut, I could then remove it, but man what a pain in the ass it was the whole time. I will continue removing the front end before I move to the rear end, no too much left besides the firewall and drop the subframe, anyways here are some pics

The damn battery bracket

Suspension and brakes out, fluids drained

Ready to be removed

Firewall almost stripped

I undid my exhaust, and the only hangers holding it were the mufflers hanger and the header lol, some people haha

Pulling it out

Out and pissing fluids lol

Yes, my favorite stage of an eg lol

So I cut the bracket in half to access the bolts, cut them off and ground down the rest of the bolt in the frame

Abs module removed, front brake lines, charcol box and line has been snipped so far, prop valve removed and maybe a couple other random things

Kinda messy, but you get the point lol

Anyways I think that's it for now, I'll update soon with more progress, I can't wait to get to the body work.

My Ride
    goes like woah

Hello Beyond, it has been a long time since I updated anything, so I am going to have a bunch of updates all at once. I will have a description for each little section of work I completed during that week or two. I have all the windows out, all the wiring removed and the interior firewall stripped, I have been cleaning the engine bay out, still need to wax and grease remover it once I am done the whole car, I don't have too much left to remove off the car then I can start body work. It is supposed to snow 20 cm here tomorrow so i need to get my green car into winter mode this weekend so i can get to work on monday.

Hello Beyond, so I haven't done much to the car lately, I am almost ready to start doing body work, I need to get some rocker panels and figure out what I am going to do with the frame, I feel like this car should have been sent to the grave years ago but it is now in my hands and I feel like I should repair and restore this properly. So from what I have seen with the car I think it got t boned really hard on the left hand side, the frame at the front is smashed up about 1 1/2"!!! It's pretty bad, there is bondo and rust around the lower door mount, about half of the frame is smashed up, and who knows what that has done to the structure of the car, the door jam and quarter panel clearly show that the car has been hit/ dented severely. I do believe the door has been replaced before or else they bottomed out on one hell of a curb. I went to the wreckers and cut out the section of the rear quarter and door jam, to come home and discover the frame damage, I am not sure if I will go cut that section of a car out, or if I will just replace it with some metal of my own. My boss from work or our metal guy is gonna come over and take a look at it and give me their personal opinion on what I need to do. As for the car I have the rear brakes to remove, I dropped the gas tank and removed all the lines, I need to get some dry ice to remove the rest of the sound deadener inside the car, I got the front out but the rear is a lot more secured. There is lots of rust and lots of work that needs to be done body wise. Hopefully I can get started sooner than later, I need to order myself some rocker panels ASAP and figure out this frame issue, but I can start on the right side as soon as I get some rockers. Anyways here are some pics

The right side frame, nice and normal

Nice and smashed up

My first thoughts when I saw this was the rocker was rusted out, I didn't think the frame was fully fucked

Last edited by derek_k; 01-03-2014 at 09:11 PM.

My Ride
    goes like woah

It's hard to see (on my phone) but it's about the length of the door that is smashed up

My cut out quarter panel, I have other replacement panels for the arch, I need the door jam section, ps I live in Canada so yes, every single eg has rust lol, I was impressed with how clean this one was, considering it was the only one not dented in at the wreckers.

Gas tank and lines all dropped

My daily in winter mode

I got my bottle of gas for my welder

It's very hard to see but I have the panels marked out in pencil roughly where I am going to make my cuts, I am going to undo the spot welds on the door jam and rear window so I have less exposed welds

Subframe and lines all removed, time to start shaving and repairing rust lol

Anyways that is all for now, prolly won't have much to update until I start doing some bodywork on the car, I need to aquire some supplies first, I might just put them on the visa lol

Hello beyond, so I live in Canada, and it snowed like crazy last night, I personally have never seen it so bad, but then again I just moved out to the country and left the city, but this is one hell of a blizzard as I am only about 40 minutes from the city I used to live in. So basically when I got to work today, I got sent home cause no one else was coming in and the snow was only gonna get worse, so seems I work on cars all day at work, I figured id spend a little extra time on my car and start up a new project on it seems I am super bored of cleaning parts and putting them away, I did a decent pile of them on the weekend, but didn't take any pictures as it's just a cleaned up part lol, I got a bunch that need sandblasting and repainting, lots of bolts that are going to need replating, and an extreme amount of body work to be done, once again I will say this that I am doing all the work myself, from body to paint to mechanical, I will have the metal guy from my work come help me with some of the panel alignment and frame repair, why wouldn't I have a professional that is a perfectionist come help me do that for free lol. I am not sure if I mentioned this but I do car restorations for a living at a very reputable shop. They have built some legendary cars including the optimum battery 68 camaro lap of America car. I have been doing this for just over 3 months now and my skills improve every day. It is a small shop so I get to see and experience lots of different things. So what I have done so far is started to weld up holes in the bay, marking off what I need and do not need with tape. I cut out the frame rail off a junkyard car. I hope to get some rocker panels sooner than later, I would love to get the body work done with so I can start blocking out to car and getting it nice and straight. I need to figure out where I want to run my brake lines and engine/charge harness. I also need to figure out where I want to locate my battery, I am not sure if I want it in the car or not. I will be keeping the full interior, so that makes it a little more difficult with the Jdm interior. None the less that is enough rambling and I will show some pics now

So here is the chunk of the car I cut out to repair the frame and the door jam/ rocker panel.

Here is the rest of the left hand side lol, I hacked that car up good at pick n pull lol

And this shall begin my long project of removing rust everywhere off this chassis lol

Rust and lots of it

You can see a little buckle in the floor pan and a little dent in the frame, gonna have to fix that, as well as....rust

I chipped off some more bondo off the rocker to find out how bad the rust was, it was.....very rusty

My Ride
    goes like woah

As you can see...verry rusty

This is the door jam on the quarter panel that is smashed up, rust coming through the paint in 2 places, so that's why I have the qp cut out, need to redo most of that jam period cause of the accident, I will be undoing the panel at the spot welds for cleanliness.

Nice and not straight, and hellllla rusty

Mmmm rust

More rust and a bunch of random holes drilled everywhere in this trunk, need to weld them all up and clean all the rust up

As you can see there is rust everywhere

And more rust

This is the drivers door, nice and rusted, also has damage

More rust

More rust lol

Some of the rust in the engine bay

I started sandblasting some of the bay, it could use a little more as there is still some rust in the pitting, I have not completed blasting all the spots, I got bored of doing it lol

Removed the abs mount

Rad support is welded up, I missed one hole that I need to tac up still

My Ride
    goes like woah

Some of the strut tower welded up on both sides, I was jumping around the bay in different spots to let the metal cool down between welds so it didn't warp

And this is the reason why I got to stay home today, it is still going hard and this was around 11am today, my back yard has about 2-3 feet of snow everywhere, I don't even wanna look at my driveway.... I need a snow blower lol

Anyways that is all for now, I have a bunch of welding and grinding to do on the bay and sand blasting as well, lots of hours to be put into this, I need to go to the city and get some rocker panels.

Hello Beyond, so I have been slowly working on the car as it has been hella cold here, the last couple days where I live was the coldest place on the planet, yes that is the planet, colder than the north and South Pole. So it has been hard to get around anywhere, and I was out of welding wire and it was quite the adventure into the city to get any, all of the highways were closed around me from the blizzard for a couple days, and I was a little sketched out still to go too far away as the cold would almost freeze my clutch line., it would turn stiffer than a 3 puck clutch lol. So I have got some more sand blasting done on the bay, I am still not complete as I spent more time welding up all the holes, grinding them down and getting some primer on them. I also removed all the brackets I don't need anymore, I kind of want to trim the passenger motor mount to remove the two holes on it, and also make it straight so it doesn't have the little outdent in it. I have found some damage in the engine bag from the accident, there was a ding in one of the corners, I pounded it out a little but it can still use a little more shaping. Other than that the bay is starting to look decent, I gotta make up some templates to weld the ac hole and wiring harness holes, also for where the brake lines went. I need to make a custom piece on the strut tower to give the upper control arm some more room to move, there are dings in my strut tower from bottoming out, so I'll have to make a box for it to clear more. It doesn't seem like much has gotten done but it sure does take a lot of hours doing things solo lol. And I am not working at a rushed pace, otherwise I'll prolly make mistakes lol. Anyways here are some pics

Brackets on firewall removed and some more holes welded up

I still need to do some more blasting in this corner, but the majority of it is complete, some places I have done need a little more, just a little color in the pitting still

Ac brakets removed, holes welded up, I am leaving the one nut hole just incase I ever need something down there for some reason lol

Here is my upper control arm ding, it gives me a good template to go off lol

Welded, grinded, blasted, primed

My Ride
    goes like woah

I still have a lot more to do on this side

So that's about it for now, I should have the engine bay pretty prepped by the end of this week, or hopefully the next, just gotta keep welding all these holes up, make a couple brackets, and fab up the control arm piece, blast some more of the rust. So far it's turned out pretty good, a little filler on the welds and it should start looking real nice. That will be all for now.

Hello Beyond, so it was Christmas, and time has been tight with family and all that stuff, but I have been slowly plugging away at the car. I have a lot more of the engine bay welded up, I only have a few more holes then about 8 patches or so to do, I have 5 of them made already, I just need to weld them in. I removed the skin of the quarter panel that I cut off the car at pick n pull. It requires a little bit of work to make it mint, but I'll get into that once I start putting all the pieces together. I am not too sure if I posted this already but I have my rocker panels now. They are not quite the quality I wanted, but it's better than rusty metal that's for sure. I am meeting a honda tech member for the first time today to trade some skills for some goodies, I am sure many of you are familiar with his build on there but I am helping him install some Jdm rear interior. I won't disclose his name in my thread but he may let me post some pictures of the work after, I may do my own writeup on it just because lol. I got a bunch of stuff from my local body shop so I got the supplies for all the prep work. So basically I should be starting the quarter panels soon enough. I would like to finish up the engine bay first and get it in some primer to protect my work. I got a bunch of sandblasting done on the front end, there is still some more to do but the rad support and firewall are taken care of now, just gotta blast my welds before I prime and it should be rust free and good to start all the fillers.

So today I'll be working on another guys car. Hopefully it will inspire me or something to work on my own car a little more. I don't have the motivation like I did on my last build, prolly cause I work on cars all day at work though. I would love to just see this thing painted and rust free lol. Anyways here are some pics

Ac firewall patch

Lined up and flush

Welded

Wiring harness patch

Tacked in place

Welded

I made some templates of the strut tower mod I want to do, I have not installed these yet as I am not sure if I will be doing this

Metal piece

Welded the seams

Ground down

I removed the quarter panel skin

Mocked up

My Ride
    goes like woah

Put the rocker on there too lol

I made myself a little sand blasting box for small parts

All of the tape marks is rust I need to fix lol, and not the big obvious ones lol, those are not marked

Welding up the "drivers" side holes

Firewall holes

Just some mid stage engine bay shot

Ground down

More blasting done

Rust b gone

Welded up and ground down any holes I saw from filling up all the holes lol

My Ride
    goes like woah

Some patch pieces I have made

Cut that lump off, need the fill that grove

Quarter panel measured and traced, I'll come back another day and quadruple check this before I cut

Hood latch rust

Just because I love this cars vin number so much I had to take a little artsy shot lol

Hello Beyond, kind of a big update today, once again I got snowed in today and can't get out of my cul de sac, so I got to stay at home from work today. Over the last 2 or 3 days I started to work on my quarter panel, for the right "drivers" side. I did one of the ht members rear Jdm interior swap for him, and in return I got a bunch of parts. I don't have any pictures of them yet, I dunno why I didn't take any, but they are all dusty and need a cleaning now before I put them away. But none the less the parts I got were, black interior basically lol. I got some other hard to find pieces like sun visors, map light, cowel, as mine were all broken, as well as some other random rhd stuff he grabbed along the way. Now back to my car I kinda stopped working on the engine bay currently as the black carpet is sitting there staying in the pressed shape. So that's what really got me working on the rear quarter panel. The rust on this wheel well is SOOOO much better than my rootbeer one. Let's just hope the other side isn't completely toasted. But to repair the rust on this side was pretty easy, some cleaning, sand blasting, one patch needed, it went pretty good. I have the quarter panel all cut out and fit ready for install, I just need to lay some primer down on the wheel well first. I should be slowly working on the car all weekend, the only problem is my gas bottle is empty for my welder, I may try and make a trip to another local town to get it filled up, only problem is it's right beside my work... Like right beside it lol. Anyways, I hope to have this qp installed his weekend, then the rocker panel to follow once the qp is in. I have a ton of pics to post, I prolly missed some stuff but the pics will show it lol

Rough cut out for the quarter panel

The guts, not too bad at all

My Ride
    goes like woah

Quarter panel secured via tabs and screws, and vide grips, getting the alignment and size perfect

Pretty spot on, don't mind the broken tail light, I will be replacing that eventually

Started to sandblast, came out quite clean after

The bad, it started from the inside out, so this is the rust coming through the metal already. Need to replace this corner

As you can see it wouldn't blast away fully

Some surface rust that was forming, get it while I can lol

More rust

Rust be gone

Made a patch for that rust

The rust

My Ride
    goes like woah

Patch welded in

This is what I woke up to this morning

Patch grinded down

All the rust taken care of on the wheel well, just need to scuff it down and put some primer on it

I cut out the rest of the rust on the wheel arch, I won't be needed it anyways

No more rust

Anyways that is all for now, should have an update most likely once the quarter panel is installed, or atleast started lol

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 16 17 18 ... LastLast