Quantcast
Wikileaks US Diplomatic Cable Leak Discussion - Page 13 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13

Thread: Wikileaks US Diplomatic Cable Leak Discussion

Originally posted by googe

Shit has definitely gotten weird when you see people in china protesting US censorship outside of the US embassy

Oh my fucking God.

My Ride
    anything that comes along

Default Wikileaks reveals plan to dump the Royals

Wikileaks reveals plan to dump the Royals, Prince Charles

OFFICIALS have held secret talks about dumping the Royal Family as the head of the Commonwealth.

Secret US cables uncovered by website WikiLeaks reveal Prince Charles will not automatically assume the title when the Queen dies.

The top bureaucrat who runs the Commonwealth has told US officials in London that Prince Charles is no cert- ainty because he does not "command the same respect as the Queen".

Commonwealth secretariat director of political affairs Amitav Banerji secretly told the US that "succession" would have to be addressed by leaders of the Commonwealth nations, including Australia.

"Banerji acknowledged that succession of the Head of the Commonwealth would have to be dealt with when Queen Elizabeth passes, as there is no rule stipulating that the British monarch is the head and no procedure for selecting a new head," the cable says.

Commonwealth officials believed Prince Charles was not particularly interested and said the Commonwealth was trying quietly to get him to become more involved in Commonwealth affairs.

Mr Banerji said that complicating any move against the Royals was their ownership of the headquarters in London.

"Banerji noted Marlborough House, the Commonwealth Secretariat's current location, was a royal property, owned and funded by the British Royal Family, and mused that may be a factor in the discussions," the cable says.

Removing the head of the Royal Family as leader of the "Commonwealth of Nations" would be a major blow to the British monarchy with several nations - including Australia - likely to revisit the republican debate when the Queen dies.

Already 16 of the 54 Commonwealth nations have dumped the monarch as the head of state and removed "British" from its official title.

Another leaked cable revealed Britain's ambassador to the Vatican feared the Pope's invitation for disgruntled Anglicans to switch to Catholicism might spark anti-Catholic violence in the United Kingdom.

Ambassador Francis Campbell told US diplomats that "Anglican-Vatican relations were facing their worst crisis in 150 years as a result of the Pope's decision", according to the cable dated November 30, 2009. The cable, sent to Washington, added: "The crisis is also worrisome for England's small, mostly Irish-origin, Catholic minority," Mr Campbell said.

"There is still latent anti-Catholicism in some parts of England and it may not take much to set it off. The outcome could be discrimination or in isolated cases, even violence, against this minority."

Mr Campbell was speaking to US deputy chief of mission to the Holy See, Julieta Noyes, after a recent visit to Rome by Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams, the head of the worldwide Anglican church.

The previous month, Pope Benedict XVI had made it easier for Anglicans disaffected by moves to ordinate women and homosexual clergy to join the Roman Catholic church.
    Honestly I wouldn't have a problem with becoming a Republic.

My Ride
    anything that comes along

Are you kidding me? I hope you don't take that picture of those Chinese individuals seriously, if you know how the Chinese propaganda machine works this is exactly what they want.

Originally posted by derpderp
    Are you kidding me? I hope you don't take that picture of those Chinese individuals seriously, if you know how the Chinese propaganda machine works this is exactly what they want.

That was my first thought as well.

I can actually see Charles being King for a while.

He would make an excellent scapegoat *no offense meant to our Monarch overlords*

It would allow us to make US and Canadian quarters out of a ounce of copper (which is the going rate) instead of pennies, or maybe even loonies out of copper. You could then stamp Charles on the back and just call it a Loon.

The Brits could then sweep up Greenland in the fastest military coup in history, and then switch over to one of the kids the next year.
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Banerji acknowledged

Damn, he's good.

My Ride
    09 Lancer Ralliart

Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
    I also love how US law suddenly applies to everyone, regardless of citizenship or location.
    Better comply or they'll trade their "liberation bombs" for "enforcement" ones!
    Originally posted by hurrdurr
    I wouldn't gamble with a DP on one of these.

I guess in some ways we helped in the Iraqi invasion.

"But even as Chrétien told the Commons that Canada wouldn't participate in Operation Iraqi Freedom, Canadian diplomats were secretly telling their U.S. counterparts something entirely different."

"According to the U.S. account, Wright "emphasized" that contrary to public statements by the prime minister, Canadian naval and air forces could be "discreetly" put to use during the pending U.S.-led assault on Iraq and its aftermath."

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/canada-offe...012402913.html
    Ultimate excellence lies
    Not in winning
    Every Battle
    But in defeating the enemy
    Without ever fighting.
    The highest form of warfare
    Is to attack
    Strategy itself.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13