Quantcast
Wikileaks US Diplomatic Cable Leak Discussion - Page 11 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Wikileaks US Diplomatic Cable Leak Discussion

Originally posted by johnboy27

You did read the list of places listed right? Do you honestly think that the US makes everything related to all their weapons? You should probably put down your drugs if you think that.

My cousin did long haul for a company that was contracted out by the Canadian military. Hauling parts for them sent him all over North America to wharehouses and universities in the US to pick up sealed shipments to bring to Canada for the military. Some shipments of course went south of the border also.
    The PCB can be made anywhere they don't have to be built out of country and the electronics I guarantee are not outsourced in the sense that the DoD has the layouts. The military never buys closed solutions they buy it end to end. We have the capacity in Calgary to produce any electronics the military might need and we are not even an area heavy in silicon tech... It's inane to assume that the parts are impossible to make when it is quite the opposite. You can easily make anything when you have the blue prints and the military will have them.

My Ride
    Model S

Is this some sort of early April fools joke?

http://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2010/12/152465.htm

U.S. to Host World Press Freedom Day in 2011

Press Statement
    Philip J. Crowley
    Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Public Affairs
    Washington, DC
    December 7, 2010

The United States is pleased to announce that it will host UNESCO’s World Press Freedom Day event in 2011, from May 1 - May 3 in Washington, D.C. UNESCO is the only UN agency with the mandate to promote freedom of expression and its corollary, freedom of the press.

The theme for next year’s commemoration will be 21st Century Media: New Frontiers, New Barriers. The United States places technology and innovation at the forefront of its diplomatic and development efforts. New media has empowered citizens around the world to report on their circumstances, express opinions on world events, and exchange information in environments sometimes hostile to such exercises of individuals’ right to freedom of expression. At the same time, we are concerned about the determination of some governments to censor and silence individuals, and to restrict the free flow of information. We mark events such as World Press Freedom Day in the context of our enduring commitment to support and expand press freedom and the free flow of information in this digital age.

Highlighting the many events surrounding the celebration will be the awarding of the UNESCO Guillermo Cano World Press Freedom Prize at the National Press Club on May 3rd. This prize, determined by an independent jury of international journalists, honors a person, organization or institution that has notably contributed to the defense and/or promotion of press freedom, especially where risks have been undertaken.

The Newseum will host the first two days of events, which will engage a broad array of media professionals, students, and citizen reporters on themes that address the status of new media and internet freedom, and challenges and opportunities faced by media in our rapidly changing world.

The State Department looks forward to working with UNESCO and the U.S. executive committee spearheaded by the Center for International Media Assistance at the National Endowment for Democracy, IREX, and the United Nations Foundation and the many civil society organizations they have brought together in support of the organization of events unfolding in Washington.

Originally posted by Toma

I am REALLY looking forward to the Bank of America document releases, B of A is taking it VERY seriously lol
    Sorry if I missed something but how is he going to release these if he is now in custody? Does one of his subordinates have access to his files?

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by mazdavirgin

The PCB can be made anywhere they don't have to be built out of country and the electronics I guarantee are not outsourced in the sense that the DoD has the layouts. The military never buys closed solutions they buy it end to end. We have the capacity in Calgary to produce any electronics the military might need and we are not even an area heavy in silicon tech... It's inane to assume that the parts are impossible to make when it is quite the opposite. You can easily make anything when you have the blue prints and the military will have them.
    This is why aircraft like the F-22 cost insane amounts. Many of its electronic hardware (and software) are developed by the military and for the military only.

However, the simpler parts of a PCB (eg. IC, caps) are outsourced - there was a good article in globalsecurity.org about this and how the Stuxnet virus exploited certain logic gates in specific IC's.
    Last edited by revelations; 12-07-2010 at 11:20 PM.

My Ride
    GD + GR WRB

This just in: US state department has a sense of humor!

Bought not built!

Originally posted by kevie88

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA HOLY FUCK AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH oh christ all mighty..... ok im good

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

Oh man.. they know how to troll. Who writes this shit, seriously?

Originally posted by teamPRO

howbout suck my black kettle...

My Ride
    Model S

Speaking of rape...

Leaked cable says texas-based government security contractor company was caught pimping under-age (8 to 15 years old) boys as sex slaves to elders in Afghanistan

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairba...any_helped.php

THAT is messed. And they accuse Julian of rape and endangering people...

Originally posted by googe
    Speaking of rape...

Leaked cable says texas-based government security contractor company was caught pimping under-age (8 to 15 years old) boys as sex slaves to elders in Afghanistan

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairba...any_helped.php

THAT is messed. And they accuse Julian of rape and endangering people...
    knew about this shit 5 years ago. Alex Jones talked about it quite often. Of course when he mentioned it, it was just tin foil conspiracy shit. Cynthia McKinney was all over it too. Nobody gave a shit then, nobody will give a shit now.

Originally posted by calgary403

Sorry if I missed something but how is he going to release these if he is now in custody? Does one of his subordinates have access to his files?
    Julian Assange =/= Wikileaks. He is the face of the organization, but he's certainly not the only one who goes through the hundreds of thousands of documents that ends up in the hands of wikileaks.

My Ride
    09 Lancer Ralliart

I lol'd
    Originally posted by hurrdurr
    I wouldn't gamble with a DP on one of these.

My Ride
    G6

Originally posted by LollerBrader

According to the article, the legal cornerstone of the cases rests upon a Swedish law that forbids sex without a condom.
    Haha so everyone who makes a baby should be going to jail, no? What a stupid law.

Originally posted by Xtrema

Freedom of speech is important but not when you put people in harm's way. These cable should be released but redacted.

I was under the impression that wikileaks does redact or leave out information eg. when they released the Iraqi and Afghan papers, they removed anything that could have given away the troops' current positions. Haven't looked much at this set of cables, but I figured they would have operated under the same principles.

Heh, might explain the recent MC/Visa actions:

http://wikileaks.ch/articles/2010/Test,32.html

Visa and Mastercard both received lobbying support from the Department of State under President Obama, the latest Cablegate release reveals.

A cable from the Moscow embassy, dated 1st February 2010, details a new Russian card processing law which the embassy said would “disadvantage U.S businesses”, and urged senior US officials to take action. (click here).

“This draft law continues to disadvantage U.S. payment card market leaders Visa and MasterCard, whether they join the National Payment Card System or not,” it said.

Russia was considering whether to implement a new system of card payments (called NPCS), which would create a new payment processor run by Russia’s state banks. This would then handle all processing for domestic banking in the country.

“The fees for these services are estimated at Rb 120 billion ($4 billion) annually...the vast majority of Visa’s business in Russia is done with cards issued and used in Russia; with earnings from processing going to NPCS, Visa would no longer profit from these transactions.”

When discussing possible causes of the restrictive legislation, a senior Visa employee in the country told embassy officials he believed the move was due to Russian suspicions that Visa and Mastercard passed information to the US government.

“[Redacted] believes that, at least at the Deputy Minister level, MinFin’s hands are tied. Implying that Russian security services were behind this decision, [redacted] said, ‘There is some se-cret (government) order that no one has seen, but everyone has to abide by it." “As described reftel, credit card company and bank representatives have told us that GOR (government of Russia) officials apparently assume that US payment systems routinely share data associated with payment transactions by Russian cardholders with intelligence services in the US and elsewhere.”

The embassy’s economic officer, Matthias Mitman, concluded his cable by calling for action.

“While the draft legislation has yet to be submitted to the Duma and can still be amended, post will continue to raise our concerns with senior GOR officials,” he said.

“We recommend that senior USG officials also take advantage of meetings with their Russian counterparts, including through the Bilateral Presidential Commission, to press the GOR to change the draft text to ensure U.S. payment companies are not adversely affected.”
    ---

shit just got real...

This coming from Operation Payback

We will fire at anything or anyone that tries to censor WikiLeaks, including multibillion-dollar companies such as PayPal," a statement circulating online, apparently from Operation: Payback, said.

"Twitter, you're next for censoring #WikiLeaks discussion. The major sh*tstorm has begun," it said.

The group, which calls itself "an anonymous, decentralised movement that fights against censorship and copywrong", and has been linked to the influential internet messageboard 4Chan, argues that such steps "are long strides closer to a world where we cannot say what we think and are unable to express our opinions and ideas".

"We cannot let this happen," it said. "This is why our intention is to find out who is responsible for this failed attempt at censorship. This is why we intend to utilise our resources to raise awareness, attack those against and support those who are helping lead our world to freedom and democracy."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11935539
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101208/...i_te/wikileaks

mastercard.com is now down...

Last edited by BigMass; 12-08-2010 at 12:31 PM.

OMGwtfBBQ They killed Mastercard, you bastards!

Bank of America is shaking in their boots. AnarchyBurgers made of tofu!
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

Originally posted by ZenOps
    OMGwtfBBQ They killed Mastercard, you bastards!

Bank of America is shaking in their boots. AnarchyBurgers made of tofu!
    paypal is next...
    "PayPal today admitted it suspended payments to WikiLeaks after an intervention from the US State Department."
    "PayPal is the first major corporation to admit that its decision to suspend dealings with WikiLeaks was a result of US government pressure."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010...aks-mastercard

no wonder he got a bullet to the head...

Off Topic: Anyone want to be my Steam friend?

I open this magnanimous offer to my local Calgary peeps.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

Originally posted by BigMass
    no wonder he got a bullet to the head...
    Encourage everyone to watch/listen. Hold in contempt of humanity the people who killed him.

He specifies "pertinent" information too, btw.

Originally posted by teamPRO

howbout suck my black kettle...

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast