Quantcast
Wow. DSLRs are BANNED in Kuwait. No public shooting allowed. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Wow. DSLRs are BANNED in Kuwait. No public shooting allowed.

My Ride
    Tiburon, Hachiroku, AE92 GT-S, Sonata

Default Wow. DSLRs are BANNED in Kuwait. No public shooting allowed.

But point and shoots and phone cameras are ok? Seriously... WTF???

http://www.kuwaittimes.net/read_news...d=MzAwMTg4ODg1

for those who don't like clicking links:

Multi ministry camera ban frustrates artists Published Date: November 20, 2010 By Abdullah Al-Qattan, Staff Writer KUWAIT:

After the ban three ministries placed on photography, most Kuwaiti youth are a bit confused about what to do with their cameras if they can't use them in public and why such laws were implemented in the first place. The Ministry of Information, Ministry of Social Affairs and Ministry of Finance recently came to the conclusion that photography should be used for journalism purposes only. This has resulted in the ban of Digital Single Lens Reflex Cameras (DSLRs) in public, on the streets and in malls.

What most Kuwaiti photographers have come to wonder is how such a decision could be reached by authorities, especially considering that digital cameras and cell phone cameras have the same abilities. What most people think of photography as a hobby has become a bit misguided due to the fact that the country has so little exposure to art. While using a DSLR, passersby may wonder if the camera is being used for the wrong reasons.

Mohammed Al-Eisa, who picked up photography as a hobby more than 10 years ago, said that he has decided to take photos of animals or still life due to the fact that these subjects don't mind having their picture taken and don't make a scene. "I started facing problems the very first day I bought my camera," Mohammed added. What often happens is that a big black camera tends to worry people. Taking a picture of a stranger would seem like much less of an issue if you were using a more discreet camera or even a cell phone. Mariam Al-Fodiry said that she has faced similar problems with her hobby and that being a girl doesn't help at all. She said that in some cases it makes the problem even worse. "Switching to abstract and landscape photography was one the options I considered after getting into enough trouble," Mariam said.

Majed Al-Saqer said that sometimes people stop him while he is in his car with his camera, as if he were planning to kill someone with it. He said that he isn't sure what the real problem is, whether it is people taking photos of each other or the size of the camera.
    Last edited by AccentAE86; 11-25-2010 at 10:34 AM.

My Ride
    2008 BBP Accord Coupe

DSLRs are "un-Islamic". Uncle Mo' himself was known to smash them and refuse to enter a household that contained such a device.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague.”
    —Cicero, Roman statesman and lawyer

My Ride
    MK7 R

so where would those micro 4/3 cameras fall into all this?

My Ride
    Blue boy

Originally posted by Seanith
    DSLRs are "un-Islamic". Uncle Mo' himself was known to smash them and refuse to enter a household that contained such a device.

f

Originally posted by G-ZUS

f
    woosh?
    Originally posted by rage2
    #1: don't ever question me.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

I like this take on it: Kuwait Goes 'All In' for Mirrorless

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-13-2020 at 09:11 PM.