Quantcast
98-02 LS1 Trans Ams - what to look for? problems? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: 98-02 LS1 Trans Ams - what to look for? problems?

Default 98-02 LS1 Trans Ams - what to look for? problems?

Interested in these cars, seems like a lot of performance for the dollar. Similar price to rsx-s but 350hp, 370tq, rwd. obviously looking at manual trans. Doing some googling right now...

-Do they all come with t-roof?

-Any glaring problems to look for?

-How does the LS1 respond to bolt ons? I know they are popular swap candidates

-Anyone with an LSx got realistic gas milage figures? (my truck is only 4.0 and I always seem to be filling it up, cant imagine 5.7L)

-Do all trans am come with the firebird 'ws6' package?

I am very interested to hear from owners of this car, or the same-gen Camaro z28.

Also what do you guys think of the styling? Usually i'm not a big domestic fanboy but I think it looks pretty decent, I like the pop up lights. It looks a lot better than the same gen camaro IMO.

My Ride
    UCF11

i dont know the answers to all your questions but the ls1 is a great motor with tons of aftermarket support. for the ls1 firebirds you can buy a bolt on turbo kit(sts turbo) they didnt all come with t roofs or ws6. ws6 is a suspension package. i think the trans am is awesome id trade my soarer for a 6 speed one any day. i say get one

Default Re: 98-02 LS1 Trans Ams - what to look for? problems?

Originally posted by slinkie

-Any glaring problems to look for?
    IME, most of these things have owners with mullet problems. If you do end up buying one, you'll have to keep a very close eye on your hair to make sure you don't sprout one over time.

Also, your buddies might start calling your whip "the Tranny," which may or may not be cool with you (to each his own).

Also what do you guys think of the styling? Usually i'm not a big domestic fanboy but I think it looks pretty decent, I like the pop up lights. It looks a lot better than the same gen camaro IMO.
    Personally, I think it's ugly as a motherfucker. That lumpy hood is terrible. There is a reason these things are relatively lower priced.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Default Re: Re: 98-02 LS1 Trans Ams - what to look for? problems?

Originally posted by Guillermo
    Personally, I think it's ugly as a motherfucker. That lumpy hood is terrible. There is a reason these things are relatively lower priced.
    Not sure about that, its the dead of winter and people are asking 15-30,000$ for these things on Kijiiji right now.

(Trans Ams, not regular Firebird's).

OP

-The WS6 was a factory option.

-Not all models came with a T roof.

-You can expect 30mpg+ on the highway when driven leisurely in 6th.

-I love the styling, and the quad pop up lights. It was the last of its kind (KITT-style cars).
    Last edited by revelations; 11-25-2010 at 09:22 PM.

good bang-for-the-buck cars, hard to find one that hasn't been ragged on though
    the early 4th gens had the LT1, later years the LS1
    personally, i prefer the camaro ss of that period

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

try posting up on performance-shop forum, a bunch of the "mullets" hang out there
    "Drive your business, let not your business drive you" ~ Benjamin Franklin

You want to know what others think of the styling??? It's a stretched out Sunfire for god's sake. Now of course this thread is going to be hijacked.

click for larger version

My Ride
    K24A2 & K24W1

Get one and make it look like this.
    http://www.carbodydesign.com/archive...rans-Am-lg.jpg

I'm looking to get one myself through those years as I already have a 77TA in my collection. There are lots of forums about these cars.

Post her up when you bring her home.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

^ very nice looking car

figured the ricers would be out in full force

Originally posted by Guillermo
    IME, most of these things have owners with mullet problems. If you do end up buying one, you'll have to keep a very close eye on your hair to make sure you don't sprout one over time.

Also, your buddies might start calling your whip "the Tranny," which may or may not be cool with you (to each his own).

Lol the intake is right under those things, dunno what you are alluding to by 'the tranny' unless you're just trying to be funny. Yes the styling is very hit-or-miss imo.

Originally posted by garnet

try posting up on performance-shop forum, a bunch of the "mullets" hang out there
    Thanks for the forum link, yeah I am interested in the 98+ which have the ls1 and refreshed styling.

Originally posted by e31
    You want to know what others think of the styling??? It's a stretched out Sunfire for god's sake. Now of course this thread is going to be hijacked.
    Yeah without the wing it looks a lot like a sunfire.

Still interested to hear from LSx owners regarding the motor and milage etc. Also would like to hear more opinions on the styling, all my buddies shot it down hard but its main selling point for me is its cheap power

My Ride
    2008 Z06

If you not stuck on a trans am, here's a quick Camaro SS for sale: http://www.performance-shop.com/show...ghlight=camaro

As mentioned, there are more mullet heads on P-shop above with experience in V8's (aka instant torque).

LS engines are reliable. I'd suggest getting a mechanical inspection and compression test on any used vehicle.

Good mods for the money: headers, underdrive pulleys, intake system,....www.ls1tech.com has a toooooon of info. If you want to spend $2k, a cam and tune can add 50whp.

I can confirm 30mpg fuel economy on the highway from my LS6.

If you go drive one (or any manual V8), you'll be hooked on the torque and sound. I was 8 years ago and traded in my Integra for a supercharged mustang and have not looked back since.
    Current Cars:
    2019 BMW X3 M40i Stage 2, 12.44 at 110mph
    1972 Chevy Super Cheyenne C10 Pickup 402 big block, 700R4
    2004 GMC 2500HD 8.1L

Past Cars:
    1970 Chevy Blazer, 2wd
    2003 BMW X5 4.6IS Doushmobile, moneypit
    2015 Ford Fiesta ST | Cobb Stage 1, catless downpipe
    2008 Corvette Z06 - 11.39 at 123.8mph
    2002 Corvette Z06 - 12.10 at 116.5mph
    2005 Jeep Wrangler LJ
    1993 5L Mustang - 12.59 at 108mph
    1989 5L Mustang
    1990 Jeep Cherokee
    1991 Acura Integra RS 403Honda

My Ride
    You Crazy

Originally posted by garnet

click for larger version

Word. The Camaro SS is the WS6 equivalent and less "ricer" looking.

The ls1 is a great motor, or base for mods.

Just buy my 35th Anniversary Camaro SS. 65,000 original k. tasteful mods, well maintained (synthetic, K&N, brakes, new clutch etc)...

$15,900...steal for the mileage
    http://forums.beyond.ca/st/311345/fs...black-only65k/

My Ride
    an old black cab

I had a '98 T/A for just over a year.

High way mileage with that rediculars 6th gear will get you 28-30mpg.
    City I got under 18mpg.

Be careful with T-Tops, some people have leaking problems. Take off the top and see if there's sign of water build up and rust.

Doors are very long which means you need big parking spots.

Hated the seats, too big and soft (I'm a smaller guy)

+1 for Camaro SS over a T/A but if you're set on getting a Pontiac, see if you can find a good Firehawk instead of a T/A.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

solution to ugly! and should be able to do it for around the same price as a trans am

... buy ls1, put it in a fd

click for larger version

I was kind of interested in that (have loved the styling and interior of the FD for a long time) but the trans am can be found cheaper, with a lot less headaches. i'll look into any shops in the van area experienced with that swap, I would definitely not be able to do it myself

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

I was kind of interested in that (have loved the styling and interior of the FD for a long time) but the trans am can be found cheaper, with a lot less headaches. i'll look into any shops in the van area experienced with that swap, I would definitely not be able to do it myself
    i know of a running fd that could use some body work (its not too terrible) with coilovers, buckets, rims, etc for $6g and i know if a built ls1 for sale in edmonton for $5g (just engine, no trans) and that guy is also an expert at ls1 to rx7 swaps and can hook you up with a harness too. then the granny speed shop swap kit that has the sub frame and what nots is about $1500 i think?

i think it is very possible for under $15g

EDIT: that ls1 in edmonton makes 530hp
    Last edited by ercchry; 11-26-2010 at 01:14 PM.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

I used to have a '90 Trans am GTA. (totally different car obviously) the performance aftermarket support is surreal, and their a great base to start on. With just bolt ons you can get respectable HP/TQ numbers without spending much.

If you plan on putting some serious power down, avoid the T-tops since they weaken the body. OTherwise they're an awesome alternative to having a soft top

Like what was said, see if you can find a Firehawk.
    If you shed some wieght, then their fantastic cars both in a straight line, and in the twisties.
    That WS6 suspension package is just wicked. The car will be harsh on the bumps, but around on/off ramps; it'll put an ear to ear grin on your face!
    Then being able to stomp on the gas as you're leaving the turn....
    Yeah I miss that thing.
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 11-26-2010 at 06:21 PM.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    4g63 powered

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
    I used to have a '90 Trans am GTA. (totally different car obviously) the performance aftermarket support is surreal, and their a great base to start on. With just bolt ons you can get respectable HP/TQ numbers without spending much.

If you plan on putting some serious power down, avoid the T-tops since they weaken the body. OTherwise they're an awesome alternative to having a soft top

Like what was said, see if you can find a Firehawk.
    If you shed some wieght, then their fantastic cars both in a straight line, and in the twisties.
    That WS6 suspension package is just wicked. The car will be harsh on the bumps, but around on/off ramps; it'll put an ear to ear grin on your face!
    Then being able to stomp on the gas as you're leaving the turn....
    Yeah I miss that thing.
    A+ post, would read again.