Quantcast
Silverado/Sierra Opinion needed - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Silverado/Sierra Opinion needed

My Ride
    '08 AW E92 335i

Default Silverado/Sierra Opinion needed

I'm looking to purchase either a Sierra or Silverado 1500 as my daily and winter driver. I'm looking at the current body style (2007+)

I think their the best looking fullsize trucks on the road right now. I am considering a few other trucks right now though. Undecided about whether I want an extended cab or crew cab.

I was hoping to get some opinions from people that either own or have driven this truck. I'm going to test drive one soon but want to hear feedback from people that have one before doing that.

Thanks!

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Solid truck all around but I would lean towards the crew cab as it would be easier to sell down the road.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    K-car

My Dad had two so far, the first was a 1/2 ton crew, it had 180k when he sold it, had no issues at all and still drove like new when he traded it. His new one is a 3/4 ton diesel loaded with all the toys, only problem he had with that was to do with the exhaust regen system which we removed anyway.

All in all they are solid trucks, the interiors are worlds better than the previous gen GM trucks. The 5.3 and 4.8 Vortec V8 engines seem to last forever and get great fuel economy.

My Ride
    '08 AW E92 335i

Thanks guys, so I'm thinking of getting the v8 one, 4x4 is a must. Is it worth getting a z71?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Not sure what year they started offering this, but if at all possible, get one with the cylinder deactivation and the six speed trans.
    I have a buddy with a coloroado and 5.3L engine, and another buddy with the 1500 and 5.3L. Ony difference is the cylender deactivation and six speed trans. the bigger truck gets significantly better milesage, both highway and city.

Also, don't rule out brand new. GM is offering deep discounts on these trucks, and you should be able to get at least 10k off the MSRP of 36k to 48k. I assume some very low interest rates as well. If you need a loan for the used truck, new might be more attractive just due to interest rate . . .

Anyway, even though I'm a ford guy, I have to say the GM/Chev trucks are excellent recently.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2012 300C SRT8 /2015 F150 Platinum

The Z71 would be worth it for the locking rear diff. Other than that, better shocks, skid plates and the cool sticker.
    2014 Jeep SRT, 2015 F150 Platinum , 2013 Keystone Laredo 291TG

[Do][---+---][oD]

Originally posted by jonnycat
    The Z71 would be worth it for the locking rear diff. Other than that, better shocks, skid plates and the cool sticker.
    Don't need the Z71 for the locking diff...if that is all you are after...but ya the Rancho suspension and such is great.

I had a 2007 GMC 1500 for 3 years. It was a solid truck but when it came time for a new one in 2010 the new GMC's (exact same truck as the 2007 but they added Bluetooth ) it didn't even compare to the Ford.

Interior wise the Ford crushes the GM. Much roomier and overall better layout/design. Exterior again the new style is nicer than the GM. However if you are going the used route I would take the GM over an older style Ford.

Engine wise I can't really comment on the Ford as I've only had it a few months but the GM was solid. Very low maintenance.

If you go with a GM definately get the crew cab. There isn't much room as it is.

My Ride

Originally posted by funkedelic2
    Thanks guys, so I'm thinking of getting the v8 one, 4x4 is a must. Is it worth getting a z71?
    It really depends on what price they'll give you on a Z71.
    As was mentioned, there are some killer deals on these trucks right now. If you can swing it, try and get the 6.2L and 6 speed auto trans... good gas mileage and they move really well for a large truck. I have a 5.3L in my Silverado, and while it's a good motor, you won't want a 5.3 truck once you drive a 6.2