Quantcast
Best and worse Job you ever had? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best and worse Job you ever had?

My Ride
    4g63 powered

Default Best and worse Job you ever had?

What is your guys best and worst jobs you have had so far?

Worst: scott Springfield manufacturing - pretty much manufacture those huge heaters and coolers that go on top of buildings , wrap them in plastic , load them onto the truck, clean shit. Etc. That job was boring as fuck and the bathroom stalls were always full with people dodging work... One of those jobs you don't want to even wake up for.

Best- my current delivery Job with own car. Very fun just drive around listening to music, free food, awesome co workers, chill boss, pays excellent and works around school.

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

Worst: Worked for a firm in Calgary, the owner was a crazy mofo who would dock your pay by 15 minutes if you used the bathroom too many times. He would watch over everyone and if you talked for more than a few seconds, he would say something about it. Stayed there for just over a year, it was great learning experience.

Best: I've worked for some great companies in my field in Calgary and California, but owning my own company is by far the best. Watching it grow is like watching a child grow (I guess, I have no kids). It's very rewarding.

My Ride
    Red with stripes and a shitbox truck

Worst: I've had a bunch of shit jobs but probably the worst was when I worked as a tile-setter for a day. The boss picked me up for work, took me to the site, then promptly forgot all about me. Asshole left me out in Canmore with no way home. Was shitty.

Best: Current job in EMS. Everyone I work with is awesome and I love the work.

Originally posted by Benny
    Worst: I've had a bunch of shit jobs but probably the worst was when I worked as a tile-setter for a day. The boss picked me up for work, took me to the site, then promptly forgot all about me. Asshole left me out in Canmore with no way home. Was shitty.
    HAHAHAHAHA...for a second I thought it might have been me!! I had a beyond member show up for work, saying he wanted to learn the trade. About two hours into the day, he comes to me and says "nahh....this isn't for me. I don't like it. Can I have $10 for gas so I can get home?"

For me, my best job: Operations Manager for Paul Mitchell Systems of Canada. Family friend had the rights for all of Canada. Our warehouse filled and printed every single bottle of Paul Mitchel Product for Canada. Met John Paul Dejoria as well as Paul Mitchell himself. Dealt with models and artists from all over Canada and the US. One of my jobs was to go out to nightclubs the day before a show and recruit models willing to get "sculpted" by professional hair stylists.

Worst job: worked on the green chain at a lumber mill in BC.
    Last edited by C_Dave45; 11-27-2010 at 11:44 PM.

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

Repost

My Ride

Originally posted by C_Dave45
    HAHAHAHAHA...for a second I thought it might have been me!! I had a beyond member show up for work, saying he wanted to learn the trade. About two hours into the day, he comes to me and says "nahh....this isn't for me. I don't like it. Can I have $10 for gas so I can get home?"
    Haha. Nah, wasn't me. The job did suck but I never once bitched and complained to him. I probably would have stuck it out for a while had he not left me 100km from Calgary without giving a half a fuck.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Originally posted by C_Dave45
    Did you give him $10?

this is tough as i've had over 25 jobs haha.

the one that pops into my head is lawn maintenance for this family business. she picks up the crew in the morning in a shitty truck that was overcrowded and we went around mowing peoples lawns, raking leaves etc. and she told us at the end of the day 'oh by the way, you don't get paid when we drive from job to job, you only get paid while actually working' WTF? and we did like 7 houses in one day, she was just in a rush to get as many lawns done as possible in a day. i told her don't bother picking me up the next day

best. i was 17 and my mom hooked me up with this job working for an overhaul company. i was a 'safety hand/labourer' got paid $22/hr to work 12 hour days, 6-7 days a week for 2 months over summer. friday was time and a half pay, saturday and sunday was double time!

My Ride
    4g63 powered

Originally posted by Dumbass17
    this is tough as i've had over 25 jobs haha.

the one that pops into my head is lawn maintenance for this family business. she picks up the crew in the morning in a shitty truck that was overcrowded and we went around mowing peoples lawns, raking leaves etc. and she told us at the end of the day 'oh by the way, you don't get paid when we drive from job to job, you only get paid while actually working' WTF? and we did like 7 houses in one day, she was just in a rush to get as many lawns done as possible in a day. i told her don't bother picking me up the next day

best. i was 17 and my mom hooked me up with this job working for an overhaul company. i was a 'safety hand/labourer' got paid $22/hr to work 12 hour days, 6-7 days a week for 2 months over summer. friday was time and a half pay, saturday and sunday was double time!
    The money might be good, but honestly that sounds like a waste of a summer to me :/

My Ride

Originally posted by Awd-Tsi
    The money might be good, but honestly that sounds like a waste of a summer to me :/
    It's a trade off at that age. Yes, you miss out on a lot of summer because you're working all the time. But, you get to live like a king for the whole school year afterwards. I had friends back in high school who used to work like dogs all summer. They'd never hang out or partake in any of the fun stuff we did when we weren't working. Throughout the school year though, they didn't have to do anything and could always afford nice shit.

My Ride
    03' Mazda Protege LX

Worst Job: Working for $6/hr at Bubble's Car Wash. At the end of the day your blowing soap suds out your nose, lotsa fun there.

Best Job: Tile setter believe it or not. Out of all the crummy jobs I have worked (ice cream vendor, car wash, paper route, sugar beet factory, plumbers helper, electrician helper, retail associate, etc) I would have to say being a self-employed tile setter is the best so far. After being physically threatened and intimidated on a couple jobs and being robbed twice on my ice cream route, I came to really appreciate my current job. It's not for everyone though because you gotta deal with cheap builders who want the same basic installations outta you. Not enough challenge for me which is the reason I'm going back to school this year and studying for a new career in Instrumentation technology.

My Ride
    4g63 powered

Originally posted by alieno1
    Worst Job: Working for $6/hr at Bubble's Car Wash. At the end of the day your blowing soap suds out your nose, lotsa fun there.

Best Job: Tile setter believe it or not. Out of all the crummy jobs I have worked (ice cream vendor, car wash, paper route, sugar beet factory, plumbers helper, electrician helper, retail associate, etc) I would have to say being a self-employed tile setter is the best so far. After being physically threatened and intimidated on a couple jobs and being robbed twice on my ice cream route, I came to really appreciate my current job. It's not for everyone though because you gotta deal with cheap builders who want the same basic installations outta you. Not enough challenge for me which is the reason I'm going back to school this year and studying for a new career in Instrumentation technology.
    You got robbed delivering ice cream? I have never even got close to robbed at my delivery job. One guy asked if I could meet him on some street and the mananager told him to plow sand .

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Worst:

Working for a Helicopter O/H shop in Vancouver. The most toxic/stressful working environment ever - and we were dealing with aircraft parts that would easily kill people if they were not looked at with care - to add to the stress.

Best:

Current job, Lidar operator/technician/surveyor. Get paid to fly around in helicopters, travel the continent (and world) and make decent $$$. Great company, great people, great "bosses" (I say this because its a flat company).

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by Benny
    Best: Current job in EMS. Everyone I work with is awesome and I love the work.
    I heard a few EMS at Whitehorn (older members) mention that it wasnt a career they would recommend anyone staying in longer than 10 years.

Cant recall if these guys were ALS or regular EMS.
    I guess the bodily fluids and whiny people get to you after a while.

My Ride
    is Invisible

You got robbed delivering ice cream? I have never even got close to robbed at my delivery job. One guy asked if I could meet him on some street and the mananager told him to plow sand .
    mind=blown

My Ride
    4g63 powered

Originally posted by adidas

mind=blown
    ??

My Ride
    Stuff

Worst Job: Driving train for Sperry Rail, I had about a week training and then I was driving the rail car. The constant threat of running a switch that wasn't set our way or breaking some other super expensive piece of rail was too much for me. There were four of us and we all lived on the train in the same room in bunk beds. The guys were all insane, some hadn't seen their own homes in almost a year. It was long days starting shortly after 4 AM and working until 5 PM. The money was incredible but the job was awful. I lasted a month and that was easily the longest month of my life.

Best Job: Pipeline operator, I love my job.
    I like cars.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Worst? I've had two that really stick out in mind. Been working since I was 14, Im 28 now so *LOTS* of jobs doing everything

1st right outside of highschool.... I went on a lead, and these guys at this pallet building company was going on about how they were making $20-25/hr building pallets.
    Okay... being young and stupid I got a job at that shit hole.
    So try lifting a nail gun as heavy as a watermellon, and pounding about 2,000 nails a day with that. Building about 150-200 pallets.
    Each pallet paid a whopping $0.20 each to build. I did the math, I was making $7-8/hr doing that.
    The guys making decent money were given the pallets that pay the most to make. If the boss didn't like you then....
    After a few weeks, I had such severe tendinitis it took me 45min just to take a piss, since I needed both hands to undo my zipper (etc). After that it was basically a mutual fuck off...
    THAT was a brutal shit job... hoo-lee shit.
    To this day doing repetitive tasks, (or washing my car with a pressure gun) the tendinitis flairs right up again. Its excruciating.

2nd was after being laid off from doing Wireline in the Oilpatch working up in Whitecourt.

There was NOTHING for work, so a friend got me a job doing well testing, but doing it on the nightshift.
    Setting up the sites & tearing them down was hell,
    15 hours of slugging 200-300 pound sections of pipe over your shoulder, trudging through 2-4 feet of snow, in the dead of winter in the middle of butt fuck no where.
    The pay? $200/day....
    1 week of that and I was done, I moved back to here.

Best? Limo driver/ fleet manager for Canada's biggest limo company. That was a blast, everyday was different, and sometimes the money was just frickin' ridiculous.
    ($1200 US a day I was tipped once by this U.S. film makers wife).
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 11-28-2010 at 04:44 PM.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    is Invisible

??
    how did he manage to "plow" the sand?

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 06-30-2019 at 11:31 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast