Quantcast
Specialized Pens - info needed - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Specialized Pens - info needed

Default Specialized Pens - info needed

I don't even know what the proper name for these pens are. Anyways I want to buy my friend a specialized/ pimp pen type deal. The only company I know is Mont Blanc. Any other pen company suggestions that I should look into? I want to budget myself for $100-$300.

Also where do you buy these pens? Only store I know of is Jewels by Maximes and I'm sure Holt would have this type of thing.

What kind of pen should I buy? Ballpoint? Fountain? Rollerball?

What makes a pen good either than the name?

The pen is meant to show future business endeavors, meaning I want my friend to use it often and not use it as a paper weight, show piece.

Ideally I want the Mont Blanc Marlene Dietrich Special Edition pen, but $900 retail price is a bit out of my range.

Thanks in advance!

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

Try going to REIDS on 17th ave, across from Western Canada High School. They've got a nice selection of pens in the back half of the store. Something in there WILL tweak your pen needs.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Madison and Page in 5th Ave Place (Plus 15) downtown has a good selection and can order in anything not in stock as fast as you want to pay for. There are plenty of pens that cost that much, Mont Blanc seem to be the more popular ones though.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

If the guy is actually going to use it on a regular basis, don't get a fountain pen. Just not as useful in business.

Also, depending on the size of the guy, he may prefer different sized, or weighted pens. If he's a small dude, a more delicate pen may be appropriate. If he's a gorilla, get a big bitch.

For me, I like a large diameter barrel, Thick tip, blue ink, ballpoint.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    '19 GTI

Go to O'Connors
    They have a good selection of high quality pens from what ive seen.

My Ride
    4g63 powered

Staples has some nice bics, they come in a few colors

I use fountain pens on a daily basis for everything but signing things. They're just as versatile as any other rollerball or ballpoint pen in terms of everyday writing and I love the fact that I can refill it and choose the kinds of ink that I use. In fact, because you can choose which inks you use is probably the best reason to make the jump.

Reid's has one of the best selections of pens in the city and their prices are reasonable, although online is usually has a much better price point.

For 300$ you can get a pretty nice pen, but you probably don't want to spend that much for everyday usage as it's quite easy to lose a pen.

I have Lamy, Mont Blanc, Caran D'ache, and Porsche Design pens and each has their own virtues but imho inks make the difference. For fountain pens, a good ink and a gold nib make all the difference. Smooth, effortless writing that does not clog and is essentially permanent.

Originally posted by suen17
    I use fountain pens on a daily basis for everything but signing things. They're just as versatile as any other rollerball or ballpoint pen in terms of everyday writing and I love the fact that I can refill it and choose the kinds of ink that I use. In fact, because you can choose which inks you use is probably the best reason to make the jump.

Reid's has one of the best selections of pens in the city and their prices are reasonable, although online is usually has a much better price point.

For 300$ you can get a pretty nice pen, but you probably don't want to spend that much for everyday usage as it's quite easy to lose a pen.

I have Lamy, Mont Blanc, Caran D'ache, and Porsche Design pens and each has their own virtues but imho inks make the difference. For fountain pens, a good ink and a gold nib make all the difference. Smooth, effortless writing that does not clog and is essentially permanent.
    Thanks for the info... and on second thought, I don't really care what my friend uses the pen for anymore. Its just more so the thought behind the pen and what it means. But I do want to get something trendy, classy looking.

BTW why dont you use fountain pens to sign things? You would think for like a contract or something a client signs you'd want to use a fountain pen? classier?

My Ride
    1990 4runner

I think signatures tend to be signed very quickly and a fountain pen can't deliver ink that fast? Just a guess though

Originally posted by Freeskier
    I think signatures tend to be signed very quickly and a fountain pen can't deliver ink that fast? Just a guess though
    Correct. I use a very fine nib, and it's a pain to make sure that on the first try you get enough ink flow to have a good, dense signature.

For signatures, you could use a calligraphy pen or else you'd need a pen with a thick nib.

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

I have a couple of Lamy pens that I bought from Reids on 17th Ave. I alternate between the two (one is a fountain pen, the other is a rollerball) and find they both work well for daily use.

Re-filling the fountain pen might be something your friend finds to be a bit of a hassle and messy. I bought one for my wife and she can't be bothered to re-fill it, so I ended up buying her a roller-ball which she prefers.

My Ride
    Eclipse

I don't understand what the point of those expensive pens is, can someone please enlighten me..

Thanks
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

Get him a gift certificate for a pen. I know it isnt as nice but as ExtraSlow said there are a ton of different factors in a nice pen that can make it very hard to pick out the right one.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

Originally posted by Kobe
    I don't understand what the point of those expensive pens is, can someone please enlighten me..

Thanks
    Think of jewellry...but in pen form. Status. Why wear a rolex when you can buy a timex? Why a Mont Blanc over a Bic pen? Same difference.

Originally posted by Cos
    Get him a gift certificate for a pen. I know it isnt as nice but as ExtraSlow said there are a ton of different factors in a nice pen that can make it very hard to pick out the right one.
    If this gift was for a dude, I wouldn't be putting soo much thought into it. I didnt want to mention this was for a girl cuz I'd get answers like "we need pics of said girl to judge on what kind of pen you need to get her" etc etc. But now I got some pretty decent answers.

So therefore, no g/c for this person for a pen.

Originally posted by l/l/rX

If this gift was for a dude, I wouldn't be putting soo much thought into it. I didnt want to mention this was for a girl cuz I'd get answers like "we need pics of said girl to judge on what kind of pen you need to get her" etc etc. But now I got some pretty decent answers.

So therefore, no g/c for this person for a pen.
    Fair enough..... if you are going for what I think you are going for. Mont Blanc has a diamond pen for about a $1000.00

Diamonds are a girls best friend....

Originally posted by Cos

Fair enough..... if you are going for what I think you are going for. Mont Blanc has a diamond pen for about a $1000.00

Diamonds are a girls best friend....
    Haha in my first post I mentioned that the "Mont Blanc Marlene Dietrich Special Edition" pen would be the ideal choice of pen to get said friend, but a $900 retail price tag was a bit out of my price range.

Honestly that would of been perfect, purple, with a purple gem thing, the clip looks like a tie. Everything about that pen, speaks of my friend, but I'm not ballin' enough to drop 9 bills on a pen as nice as it is.

Originally posted by l/l/rX

Haha in my first post I mentioned that the "Mont Blanc Marlene Dietrich Special Edition" pen would be the ideal choice of pen to get said friend, but a $900 retail price tag was a bit out of my price range.

Honestly that would of been perfect, purple, with a purple gem thing, the clip looks like a tie. Everything about that pen, speaks of my friend, but I'm not ballin' enough to drop 9 bills on a pen as nice as it is.
    You gotta pay to... um... er.... 'play' with her?

haha

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

For the OP: Do check out Cartier pens as well, although my preference is Mont Blanc

Not for the OP: Anyone tried this out??

http://www.instructables.com/id/Save-$200-in-2-minutes-and-have-the-worlds-best-wr/
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

My Ride
    Edge Sport, F-150 EcoBoost

Originally posted by ExtraSlow

For me, I like a large diameter barrel, Thick tip, blue ink, ballpoint.

That's what she said.

Staples has some decent ones...but not the elite high-end styles. But if it is going to be an everyday pen...might be a good bet.
    freshprince
    -Jan 2006-

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast