Quantcast
AGLC - Alberta bans extra strong beer - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: AGLC - Alberta bans extra strong beer

My Ride
    17 Civic HB Sport

Default AGLC - Alberta bans extra strong beer

Effective immediately...so how long until they start banning wine?

Beer lovers can no longer get their mitts on some high-alcohol, upscale brews in Alberta's beer and liquor stores. The Alberta Gaming and Liquor Commission has banned the sale of beers with alcohol content of more than 11.9 per cent. The AGLC, which has concerns the beers might be associated with binge drinking, sent out a notification to the stores last Friday. "We want to make sure that if these high-alcohol products are available, that they are marketed appropriately," said AGLC spokeswoman Lynn Hutchings-Mah.

A spokesman for DeLancey Direct Inc., a Calgary-based Canadian importer of craft beers, said the ban makes no sense. Most of the affected beers are high-end and are not bought by people looking to get drunk, said Christian Finz.

"Teenagers don't go for these high-end beers," said Finz. "These beers are mostly meant for … beer lovers, beer geeks that really love their beer. These are sipping beers where you … have one bottle an evening."

He added that many of the extra-strong beers cost between $8 and $12 per bottle.

Dave Gingrich, beer manager for Willow Park Wines & Spirits in Calgary, said he was "appalled" when he heard of the new restrictions. He said the taste of these high-alcohol beers is similar to that of fortified wine and they should be enjoyed like wine.

"I think, personally, it's just the people. It's their responsibility to enjoy in moderation," Gingrich said, pointing out that there's abuse of every category of drink.

Hutchings-Mah, however, said there's a possibility that some high-alcohol beers could be less expensive and could be targeted at younger drinkers.

The AGLC suspended sales of the beers until a report can examine whether they contribute to binge drinking. That report will likely be presented to the AGLC board next spring.
    SOURCE

EDIT:
    If you have a problem with this regulation, you can direct your concerns to Andrea Kicia, supervisor of product and pricing, liquor supply and distribution for the AGLC - [email protected].
    copied from FFWD
    Last edited by LadyLuck; 11-30-2010 at 04:49 PM.
    What kind of birdhouse can you build with popsicles, roofies, and a rubber mallet?
    "It's for a rare African bird called "none your business."
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    If you were straight I'd eat you like a BLT sandwich with extra Bacon. And I fucking LOVE bacon.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

wow

My Ride

emailed

I’m comforted that our ever awe inspiring government has taken the appropriate steps to ensure that 18 year olds can no longer pull keg stands on a 12 year old Belgian Trappist ale.
    Last edited by Crymson; 11-30-2010 at 05:31 PM.

Is 12% and more still considered to be beer?
    Trumps' signature is fraud by design.

My Ride
    2015 CLS63s AMG Coupe

That's great news.... I don't even know where I would be right now if I ended up getting my hands on one of these.

I had a friend tell me about this Vodka stuff that's supposed to be 40% alcohol... There's no way though, he's surely lying as AGLC wouldn't allow this so-called "Vodka" product on the market sitting at 40%...

(PS was joking above)

Do people just get bored at these various government groups and decide to impose something like this?
    Sig was pwned by Moderator!

My Ride
    Has 5 wheels.

this is just silly. I don't understand. Nothing like sipping on a bottle of strong beer.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

I figured the email addresses must be pretty standardized, so I "generated" the whole board.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
    Date: Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 4:07 PM
    Subject: Banning of High Alcohol Imported Beers
    To: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]

Hello,

Banning the import and consumption of high alcohol content beers is
    not very well thought out. If you're going to ban them, then you'd
    better start banning wine, hard liquors, and any other alcohol as well
    because that's the only way the argument holds water. Teenagers are
    not going to buy this higher content beer due to the large increase in
    price. They're going to continue to buy the cheapest beer on the shelf
    for their parties, or the $11 bottle of rum to get the best bang for
    their buck. All you're accomplishing with this ban is the alienation
    of the affluent middle class with the monetary means to buy and enjoy
    these more expensive brews.

The ban is unfounded, and in bad taste.

Thanks,

Jim
    Last edited by codetrap; 11-30-2010 at 05:11 PM.

My Ride

i mean SERIOUSLY?

Was the entire board's teenaged children caught in some kind of craft-beer fueled orgy and the hand wringers had to get together and "do something about this problem"..??

LIKE SERIOUSLY??

AT WHAT POINT COULD THIS FUCKING HAVE MADE SENSE TO ANYONE!!!!

Last edited by Crymson; 11-30-2010 at 05:25 PM.

You should have added that the air smells better out here once they pull their heads out of their asses.
    Originally posted by rage2
    #1: don't ever question me.

Wrote my own a minute ago.... wish I saw code traps...

Hi Andrea,

I am not happy that the government and AGLC has taken it upon themselves to limit something that you are only able to purchase if you are above the legal age. A quote captured my sentiments the best:

"I’m comforted that our ever awe inspiring government has taken the appropriate steps the ensure that 18 year olds can no longer pull keg stands on a 12 year old Belgian Trappist ale."

I hope that the ALGC things more carefully about policy in the future. They appear to believe they are not accountable to anyone. Perhaps some better forethought will be put into future policy decisions as I see absolutely no use in denying the use of this product to people over the legal drinking age.

It is my responsibility to ensure the proper use of ANY product I buy and consume, not that of my governments.

xxxxxx xxxxxx
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

In Quebec they give you sample shots of alcohol and have hot girls promoting brands in the stores. In Alberta you can't even buy strong beer. AB Sucks.

The other day I saw a guy buy a 6 pack of Lucky Lager and a mickey of some crappy vodka. I was going to tell him: No, no. Don't buy that. Instead go for this new Abbey style ale brewed in Belgium. It is full of flavour with hints of fruit and vanilla. And holy fuck will it get you drunk.

It is an absolutely ridiculous ruling. As mentioned these bottles cost between 8-12 bucks a bottle, and that's for the cheaper ones. If you're a binge drinker are you going to fork over twenty or thirty bucks for a few bottles of specialty beer, or just buy a cube of whatever is cheapest? I, and most people who've gone through their binge drinking phases, can attest that a dozen cans of 5% beer with no taste is far more of a go-to than a 1L bottle of a 12% beer you can leave a thumb print in.

And the thing I have the biggest problem with

Hutchings-Mah, however, said there's a possibility that some high-alcohol beers could be less expensive and could be targeted at younger drinkers.

Then why didn't you set the limit for alcohol low enough to encompass stuff like this you dumb fucking bitch (I attack her personally because she's the face of the organization and as such, deserves the scorn).

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

By the same argument they should only allow people to spend $5.00 on lottery tickets and buy smokes in 5 packs, people abuse both of those products too. Or just raise the age.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

This is the wild west, and cowboys can't handle their booze! So some skirt in an office has to tell them they aren't allowed!

Umm, report says sales have been suspended - not ended. I also read elsewhere that existing supplies already in liquor stores could still be sold. So the thing to do is be positive and hope that sales will be re-instated - what I've read is that this may happen albeit with higher taxes on these higher test beers similar to spirits.
    Will fuck off, again.

Originally posted by speedog
    Umm, report says sales have been suspended - not ended. I also read elsewhere that existing supplies already in liquor stores could still be sold. So the thing to do is be positive and hope that sales will be re-instated - what I've read is that this may happen albeit with higher taxes on these higher test beers similar to spirits.
    Your lack of outrage on this issue leads me to believe you're a yellow-bellied tea-toter who allows themselves to be trampled on by the authorities at every turn.

This is what I sent her in my e-mail: (Also BTW I just got home from work and am to lazy to type of so I pretty much just copied keterjud2 I hope you don't mind.)

"The other day I saw a guy buy a 6 pack of Lucky Lager and a mickey of some crappy vodka. I was going to tell him: No, no. Don't buy that. Instead go for this new Abbey style ale brewed in Belgium. It is full of flavour with hints of fruit and vanilla. And holy fuck will it get you drunk.

It is an absolutely ridiculous ruling. As mentioned these bottles cost between 8-12 bucks a bottle, and that's for the cheaper ones. If you're a binge drinker are you going to fork over twenty or thirty bucks for a few bottles of specialty beer, or just buy a cube of whatever is cheapest? I, and most people who've gone through their binge drinking phases, can attest that a dozen cans of 5% beer with no taste is far more of a go-to than a 1L bottle of a 12% beer you can leave a thumb print in.

Also this does nothing to stop people from drinking malt liquor such as; Olde English, Big Bear, and Colt 45.

The fact that anyone in your office though banning high alcohol content beer was a good idea just shows how inept you government folk really are. Give your head a shake this is ridiculous."

I don't mind. I sent an e-mail with as diplomatic language as I could reduce myself to in a lame attempt to seem civil on the matter so its good that somebody will use my real feelings in an e-mail as well.

Originally posted by kertejud2
    Your lack of outrage on this issue leads me to believe you're a yellow-bellied tea-toter who allows themselves to be trampled on by the authorities at every turn.
    So because I am not outraged means I am yellow bellied - hilarious, little do you know of me and how I've challenged the authorities on many things in the past and even now. Never the less and back on topic, I don't drink the stuff and kudos to those that do (my choice of alcoholic liquid refreshments is towards the dark ales and stouts). My suspicion, however, is that we'll see it back on the shelves with a higher tax structure in place - note it's just a suspension of sales right now.
    Will fuck off, again.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast