Quantcast
Russia 2018; Qatar 2022 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Russia 2018; Qatar 2022

I'm very disappointed that England did not get the world cup. Without a doubt they would have put on a very successful one and made tons of money. I have my doubts about Russia hosting one that would be comparable to England. Also, I feel that Qatar in 2022 could go either way. However, to hedge against a flop in 2022, giving England the games in 2018 would have been the smart choice.

Qatar has the funds needed to put on a successful world cup, but will be difficult because of the small size and high heat. However, Africa did a great job this year and they also had much skepticism at first.

All I hope is that England can play well!!
    Originally posted by xLostx
    I like getting random texts, some guy kept texting me calling me his girl and baby, i told him that i have aids and he should get tested. he no longer texts me
    Originally posted by dimi

I'm a grammar paramedic, unlike those assholes from the grammar police.

How in the name of holy eff are they going to build 8 brand new stadiums in the ONE city Qatar has? The whole freaking country doesn't even span an area between Okotoks and Red Deer...
    Originally posted by rage2
    #1: don't ever question me.

My Ride
    impreza

Pretty disappointed. I can't see my self going to Brazil, Russia or Qatar to see games. If the games were in England, Spain/Portugal, or Belgium/Netherlands I could see myself making the trip.

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

Qatar has 1.3 million people in the entire country!

The average high is 46 in July.

They are going to have 12 stadiums all less than an hour from each other?

What a joke.

They most definitely bought it.

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

Originally posted by mac_82
    Pretty disappointed. I can't see my self going to Brazil, Russia or Qatar to see games. If the games were in England, Spain/Portugal, or Belgium/Netherlands I could see myself making the trip.
    Why wouldn't you go to Brazil? Brazil is amazing.

Decisions were influenced by bribes.

Panorama, a investigative journalism show on BBC, is apparently doing an episode on how FIFA officials received bribes from Russian and Qatar sources to influence their votes.

I am not to upset about Russia winning the 2018 bid. But awarding the 2022 to Qatar is just pure idiocy.

the country population will double during the world cup. Think about all the infrastructure they would have to build to accommodate all those fans.

The stadiums that are there are too small and will need to get seriously upgraded. The new ones being built are apparently going to have solar powered air conditioners which is a good point.

The Qatar league is not followed very well by the people. Even with all efforts to bring in semi retired European players. So no one will be using the new stadiums for anything. They did say that they have a plan to dismantle the stadiums and transfer them to Africa where they are desperately needed. Not sure where and how.

I am an Iraqi Canadian and I am familiar with soccer in the middle east. Qatar has been trying desperately to qualify for a world cup in the past 10 years. They have naturalized south american players (some found to be done that illegally) in hopes of raising the level of the team but with no success. Qatar is a country where you CAN NOT be naturalized in.

I am truly embarrassed for soccer for this decision. I thought that USA was a sure bet since they can host the thing tomorrow if they wanted. Instead a bunch of corrupt officials ruin it for everyone just so they get their pockets lined up.

I am upset with football right now

^^^

Bribery? In FIFA? Get outta here. The US bribes people sure, but the Russians definitely wouldn't stoop to such lows.

Qatar is a cash grab, no doubt about that (both under and over the table) and is a shitty location all around. But this should leave the door wide open for a successful CONCACAF bid in 2026.

My Ride
    X5

If FIFA wasn't the most corrupt organization before this, it definitely is now.

England would have sucked for the 2018 WC anyways but Spain-portugal would have done well.
    I also think Australia or US would have done well for 2022, surprised US didnt get it considering how much FIFA and others are trying to advance the game there.

I can understand that they want to expand the game into new territory, but seriously...Russia? Qatar? There were better options than those two countries

My Ride
    impreza

Originally posted by bspot

Why wouldn't you go to Brazil? Brazil is amazing.
    Should have rephrased. Would love to go to Brazil, but unlikely for the World Cup. If I was going to Russia, I would rather go for the 2014 Olympics than the 2018 World Cup. And I don't think I will ever step foot in Qatar.

My Ride
    All made in Japan.

FIFA makes Tony Soprano look like an altar boy.

You have all made great points here and I cannot think of a nation more deserving of a WC above England and Brazil. The WC is a joke. I will watch it, I will be amazed at the stadiums, I will see all the empty seats in the reserved FIFA area of the stadium. And I will wonder who is going to use and maintain these white elephants?

I have been to two WC, all were the same. Nutty, friendly fans in the real seats, the best seats were reserved for FIFA and those advertisers and they were never full. Never even close. As full as seats at a Nashville hockey game, hell most of the USA hockey games beyond the solid northern teams.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Wow so much hate in here. I am glad russia won, the country is huge and a huge potential for FIFA and soccer worldwide.

I don't see why there are so many accusations of bribary and corruption...anyone look at wikileaks recently..yah exactly, corruption is everywhere, don't pretend that England/USA ect are all angels.

Also, don't you think it makes sense to go into new markets for business reasons, vs. going to a place that is already saturated like many of the European countries.

Will be going to Russia for 2014 and 2018, woot!
    Last edited by eblend; 12-02-2010 at 08:03 PM.

It's funny how FIFA justified picking Qatar as them wanting to expand into new markets. Well, good if you want to expand to a 1.6 million population.

I guess the USA would have offered no expandability to the FIFA market since all 310 million american are avid soccer fans....what a joke

Yeah but those 1.6 million people when combined have more money than 3/4 of the countries out there. And if you think the people who work with FIFA don't somehow have a hand in the construction of several $500 million dollar facilities...well
    Originally posted by rage2
    #1: don't ever question me.

Originally posted by soccernut
    It's funny how FIFA justified picking Qatar as them wanting to expand into new markets. Well, good if you want to expand to a 1.6 million population.

I guess the USA would have offered no expandability to the FIFA market since all 310 million american are avid soccer fans....what a joke

World Cup in the US = money for soccer.

World Cup in Qatar = money for FIFA (officials).