Quantcast
Wanted: Engine opinions (and a VLSD) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Wanted: Engine opinions (and a VLSD)

My Ride

Default Wanted: Engine opinions (and a VLSD)

Car: 1989 stock SOHC 240 w/ 173K

So... my goal is around 300 whp with near stock reliability (for road trips). I liked my old SR, but to get 300 whp, I'd have to spend probably double the cost of a good KA-t setup. I am able to swap engines myself, and have the tools and know-how to do either routes. I like the idea of a turbo sohc, but my old SR was smooth and reliable (but I never went bigger than the stock t25 @12 lbs/stock injectors). What I really liked about the SR was its instant response, and from what I understand that you get that from a small t3/t4 on a KA. I was also thinking of doing a t28-based KA so if I changed my mind I could go to SR easily.

So, what would you do, if you could start from the beginning?

Also, anyone have a good s13 240sx VLSD for sale?

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Default Re: Wanted: Engine opinions (and a VLSD)

Originally posted by Abeo

So, what would you do, if you could start from the beginning?
    LS1.... there is one in edmonton for sale with 530hp for $5k... done, and done. made reliable, lots of power and great gas mileage on the highway!

My Ride
    3.0L Of pure turbocharged testosterone

Stock sr20det can make a reliable 300 horsepower, but an ls1 if you can afford to do the wiring, mounts, custom driveshaft, and whatever other little odds and ends, is a better route. You should be able to make 350 whp on a stock sr20 for around 3000$ on top of the cost of the sr20.

gt2871R-1200$ NEW, used can be found for much cheaper
    Great spool, great response, lots of power up top, very popular among the sr20 community. Stock manifold ported works well with these.

-750cc injectors- Around 350$ for deutchwerks. Good sizing for around 400 whp, so at 350 youll be far from approaching 80% duty cycle, room to grow for sure.

-PowerFC L-jetro or D-jetro - 600$ to 1200$. Ljetro requires z32 maf.

walbro 255- around 110$

Fmic-Can get CX racing fmic kit for around 300$ SHIPPED

i know thats over 3000$, but you get the idea.

Really in the end, its going to cost the same either way, it just depends what you want. Ls1 makes ball breaking torque, and it makes it RIGHT NOW, but for me, nothing can ever beat the POP of a turbo coming on and tearing your head off.

Eric: What do you consider great gas mileage hahaha, i can get 25-30 mpg on the hiway IF I KEEP MY FOOT OUT OF IT

My Ride

Ecchry: LS1 would be nice, but a bit beyond what I want to do with the car... once I start wanting something different and 400 whp, then I'll start thinking about it. Can't beat the noise that a cammed LS motor makes, though.

sr20s14zenki: I know you would stand up for the SR crowd I guess the SR would be the quick way to get it done. 200 whp right away and can build up to it... but on the other hand, I've got a great running KA (with working AC), and would feel like a waste to get rid of it...
    My old SR would get 33 US mpg highway, and 27 US mpg to and from work with a bit of boosting thrown in.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by sr20s14zenki

Eric: What do you consider great gas mileage hahaha, i can get 25-30 mpg on the hiway IF I KEEP MY FOOT OUT OF IT
    at what speed though? i like to cruise at 150 or so haha.... maybe i have just had the jeep too long... 110km/h=13L/100km

My Ride
    3.0L Of pure turbocharged testosterone

Originally posted by Abeo
    Ecchry: LS1 would be nice, but a bit beyond what I want to do with the car... once I start wanting something different and 400 whp, then I'll start thinking about it. Can't beat the noise that a cammed LS motor makes, though.

sr20s14zenki: I know you would stand up for the SR crowd I guess the SR would be the quick way to get it done. 200 whp right away and can build up to it... but on the other hand, I've got a great running KA (with working AC), and would feel like a waste to get rid of it...
    My old SR would get 33 US mpg highway, and 27 US mpg to and from work with a bit of boosting thrown in.
    Yah, my friend Tanner build a ka24deT, using nothing but ebay parts including the turbo, and nistune. He made 260 whp from a 2871 clone at 12 psi. 260 tq as well. The ka24 feels VERY strong coming on boost, and because of the displacement you can run a bigger turbo and still get decent spool. Its always a tuff decision to decide which route to take. Just remember, the sr20det is MADE for boost, the pistons are better, its got oil squirters underneath the pistons (cant remember if the ka does)AND the sr20det is square bore, which is much more rev friendly and makes for GREAT torque considering the size. I could show you my dyno sheets to show you how much, i have them posted in my "the numbers are in" thread.

Eric: Yep, getting used to the shitty mileage myself, got an 02 sport trac, was getting 15 mpg. Im gonna see how it does now, because i took the plugs out and they had about a 1/8" gap (im not kidding) so im assuming they were the original 250,000k plugs. Got new plugs in and NGK wires, gonna see how it does now. its EPA estimated is 20 mpg hiway, and i drive all hiway...so it better start getting good haha.
    Last edited by sr20s14zenki; 12-10-2010 at 06:06 PM.

My Ride
    90 Nissan 240sx KAT & 02 BMW 525iT

I've got a VLSD for you.

I bought it from speedtech a year or so ago and never got around to using it. Comes with 5 bolt axles and brand new factory Nissan axle bolts & nuts. Axles need work.
    $150

Ian

My Ride

Originally posted by 240ian
    I've got a VLSD for you.

I bought it from speedtech a year or so ago and never got around to using it. Comes with 5 bolt axles and brand new factory Nissan axle bolts & nuts. Axles need work.
    $150

Ian
    Thanks, but I'm looking for a 6 bolt 91-94 USDM VLSD. My axles are in great shape, so I'd like to keep it simple and just get the diff.

There is a j30 with intact 5 bolt axles at PNP if you are looking for good axles