Quantcast
WWBD? (what would Beyond do?) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: WWBD? (what would Beyond do?)

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Default WWBD? (what would Beyond do?)

I have already read of things like this on Beyond a few times, and have pretty much already told the kid to pound sand, but just for kicks, I want to see what the general consensus is.

Scenario is this.

Wife and I wanted KINECT, thought it might be fun. I wanted one of the new Xboxs because of the new looks and being so quiet. Costco was selling the Kinect kit and 360 bundle. Wife told me that I had to get rid of the old xbox before buying the new one. Not a big deal, I put it up on a few websites including Kijiji.

I had a guy off Kijiji come to my house to buy it. I started it up, had it hooked up to my TV via HDMI and showed it to him playing black ops just fine. I sold him the console with a 120gb HDD for $125. He then asked for a controller, so I provided him with a wireless controller with charge kit and rechargeable battery for an extra $25. I Demo'd everything for him, everything was working fine, ZERO issues.

I just got a call from him 2 days later. He wants to return it to me as there is a hardware failure. Apparently the device is showing E74 and the bottom right 1/4 of the ring is flashing red. Never once in the year I have owned it has it done this. Never once has this xbox given me any grief.

I don't know what this kid has done to the xbox, and it is 2 days later, and he told me on the phone that up until now it was working fine for him too, it just started. Now he is threatening me that he knows where I live, and will show up at my door with the CPS and that both of his parents are lawyers and he will take me to court as there is no way I didn't know about this. To which I replied "I look forward to it".

I don't think he understands that if I had known something was wrong with it, I would not have had him come to my house so I could demo it. but either way, I am just shaking my head.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

This sucks if you're on the receiving end of it but it sounds like you did everything you could (demo-ing it, etc) to make sure that he was getting a quality item. Just a risk of buying used in my opinion.

On a side note, I always hate when people default to threats when something doesn't go there way; pretty much makes me not want to even work with them to solve the problem in any way.

My Ride
    16' Tacoma Offroad

Is there any proof you even sold it to him? haha

What BS, its a private sale, and its as is.

What a bitch kid, if his parents are lawyers, why is he buying a used 360? To hack it?

My Ride
    NC1

Yep. You showed him that it worked, it's final sale. You aren't Walmart, no refunds.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    6.2L V8

as long as he saw it working in your living room then he's shit out of luck. sold as is.

PERSONALLY if the kid was like 12-14 i would just give him back his money. you're an adult with a house and a car and a career and he's a child with $150 that just wants to play xbox...

1 red flashing bar means that the x box has gotten too much power while pluged in, or it need more power to run 100%, tell him to go buy a new power brick and he should be fine, thats what happend to my x box but i didnt want to get a power brick so i just bought a new one.

Yup it was sold "as is" as many pointed out.

And plus, what kind of kid with parents as lawyers doesn't have an xbox? Unless he's trying to pull the old swap an already red ringed xbox for a working one trick.

Originally posted by Jetta-2.0
    1 red flashing bar means that the x box has gotten too much power while pluged in, or it need more power to run 100%, tell him to go buy a new power brick and he should be fine, thats what happend to my x box but i didnt want to get a power brick so i just bought a new one.
    lol i never thought of that swap thrick nice point

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

the kid appears to be 20-23, so definitely should know better. If the kid was under 15, i would take it back in a heart beat as long as it had not been opened, but I have no idea how to check for that anyways lol
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

lol i never thought of that swap thrick nice point
    take the front cover plate off, there should be a microsoft seal if that doesnt look cracked or any thing then it hasnt been opened

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    Last edited by Jetta-2.0; 12-11-2010 at 06:50 PM.

He could of dropped it or screwed it up. I wouldnt give him a refund , especially if he made at threat.
    2011 Mercedes C63 AMG //2009 Mercedes C350 SOLD //2008 BMW 335i SOLD //2006 Mercedes C Sold// 2002 BMW M3 SOLD// 2004 Porsche C4S SOLD// 2006 Audi S4 SOLD// 2005 Audi 1.8T SS SOLD// 2004 Subaru STi SOLD// 1994 LHD Toyota Supra SOLD//1993 LHD Mazda RX-7 SOLD // 2002 Honda S2000 SC SOLD// 2004 Range Rover SOLD//

i probably would have felt sorry for the young cash strapped kid, and i would have given him his 100bux backs.

BUT if i hear some punk being an asshole, and going off about how his dadys a lawyer, id tell him to go fuck himself.

EDIT: just read he was 23....im too young to feel sorry for a 23 year old ....i assumed he was a tween hahahah
    Last edited by jaysas_63; 12-11-2010 at 06:52 PM.
    WAR IS PEACE
    FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
    IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

take the front cover plate off, there should be a microsoft seal if that doesnt look cracked or any thing then it hasnt been opened

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version click for larger version
    I probably should have checked that when I bought it lol
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by spikers

I probably should have checked that when I bought it lol
    why u bought it used also?

and this seal is when u ship it to microsoft to get it fixed from the 3 red rings.

click for larger version

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

yeah i did
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

why u bought it used also?

and this seal is when u ship it to microsoft to get it fixed from the 3 red rings.

click for larger version
    When i bought it, I was acutally just looking for a 120gb hd, and I had found this one with the elite console for pretty cheap, so I bought it, and sold the original white xbox I had to another Beyonder and just used the elite. basically I paid $75 for the elite console with HDMI (old white one did not have HDMI) and a 120gb hard drive.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Lol. So there is evidence to show that it was in full working order when you sold it. Even he knows it. So he's gonna take you to court saying you purposely made it so it becomes defective in 2 days?

You have nothing to worry about. As soon as he threatened, that's a big no-no. If anything, you should contact police about this guy threatening you saying "I know where you live" and whatnot.

Couple of thoughts.

1) If his parents were 2 bigshot lawyers the chances this kid is scrounging around for a used XBOX are basically 0%.

And even if they are they are not going to give a shit about $125. What would that be, 15 minutes of their collective time to piss away a day on a small court appearance they would almost certainly lose?

2) If he is a kid (are his parents driving him to your house?) I'd take it back provided the machine has matching serial numbers to to the one you sold (if you don't have them, just say you do) and the machine is un-cracked as above. Tell him if he comes here and these two conditions are not met you will notify the police and report him for fraud.

Either way stay unemotional, its no great deal of money. I'm guessing you will never see him after placing these two conditions on him.
    Last edited by MyMan23; 12-11-2010 at 07:51 PM.

My Ride
    BMW X1 35i MSport

Why don't you record the phone convos, if he's threatening you, and send it to the cops?

My Ride
    Subway / Rav4

Originally posted by CMW403
    PERSONALLY if the kid was like 12-14 i would just give him back his money. you're an adult with a house and a car and a career and he's a child with $150 that just wants to play xbox...
    The Kid probably has a higher net worth with his piggy bank savings, than most adults with all their debts.

"Having a war about religion is like having a fight over who's got the best invisible friend" - Yasser Arafat

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast