Quantcast
Things you dont use or really use with your PS3? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Things you dont use or really use with your PS3?

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Question Things you dont use or really use with your PS3?

Just curious as to whats a good HD amount, or what things there are to look forward too.
    Just wanted to know things to look out for, and what insight you guys can offer towards buying a used system.
    If if just wisest to buy a brand new one?

Thanks a lot in advance for reading this!
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

I use it for Movies.. I have a basic one and have a few games , but have never really had a problem with not having enough memory . If your just a casual gamer and a movie lower , you dont need to buy a new one with all the best crap on it.

But if you are in the Market for a new one , Walmart has sales on all the time and they can go for pretty cheap.
    2011 Mercedes C63 AMG //2009 Mercedes C350 SOLD //2008 BMW 335i SOLD //2006 Mercedes C Sold// 2002 BMW M3 SOLD// 2004 Porsche C4S SOLD// 2006 Audi S4 SOLD// 2005 Audi 1.8T SS SOLD// 2004 Subaru STi SOLD// 1994 LHD Toyota Supra SOLD//1993 LHD Mazda RX-7 SOLD // 2002 Honda S2000 SC SOLD// 2004 Range Rover SOLD//

I mostly use it for movies as well, I do use it for gaming occasionally...but I'm not much of a gamer so I only play once in awhile. I don't think it's worth it to buy a used one considering the new ones go for pretty cheap, especially when there's those package deals.

My Ride
    old Toyotas

Good thing about PS3 is you can easily upgrade the hdd later on if you want more space.

some games install files for shorter load times which takes up alot of space. GT5 just maxed mine out but just deleted some old demos/installs and its good enough.

My Ride

^ So for GT5, how big of a HD would you recommend. Thats one of the few games a want a PS3, for. That and Assassin's Creed 2, as well like you guys to have it as a blu-ray player.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

Originally posted by black13
    Good thing about PS3 is you can easily upgrade the hdd later on if you want more space.

some games install files for shorter load times which takes up alot of space. GT5 just maxed mine out but just deleted some old demos/installs and its good enough.
    How do you delete specific installs on the PS3? I need to clear up some space (delete some old Call of Duty map updates as I no longer have the games) but can't find where to do it. I was able to find how to delete everything, but I don't want to do that.

Thanks
    James

My Ride
    95 Stealth RT/TT, '72 Duster

Originally posted by black13

this.
    I put a 250gb in mine not long after I got it.
    I use a passport drive for my movies (divx and xvid movies are the main thing I use my PS3 for) so it's still basically empty.

My Ride
    I like. :)

$299 is the going price these days and it's pretty good, considering everything the machine does. But look out for bundles and limited time offers on the $299 new units (i.e. bonus games, gift cards, accessories, etc.) --- a couple weeks ago the deals were awesome. I saw it for $279 and $269 recently. I'm going to upgrade my 40GB to a 320GB (at least) this Christmas!

I use it for gaming, TV shows, movies, Blu-ray, music.

My Ride
    '08 135i

Originally posted by Pacman

How do you delete specific installs on the PS3? I need to clear up some space (delete some old Call of Duty map updates as I no longer have the games) but can't find where to do it. I was able to find how to delete everything, but I don't want to do that.

Thanks
    James
    You can try looking in XMB->Game->Game Data Utility, it should list all the data that's installed on your HDD and Press /\ for option to delete. Not sure if that's what you are looking for.

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
    ^ So for GT5, how big of a HD would you recommend. Thats one of the few games a want a PS3, for. That and Assassin's Creed 2, as well like you guys to have it as a blu-ray player.
    You should be fine with the 160gb, GT5 only uses around 10gb iirc. Being so close to christmas though, boxing day should bring different bundles so you could get a bunch of extra games to play or sell for free with the system like they did last year.

My Ride
    2012 300C SRT8 /2015 F150 Platinum

I just picked one up with NHL 2011 and Infamous. I've watched some movies on it but haven't tried the games yet.

If you asked my wife , It's just the best blu ray player out there.

If you asked me, the real answer is, it's my "I have company over, and they are sleeping downstairs and I can't use my xbox360, so I have a video game back up that plays blu-rays in my bedroom"
    2014 Jeep SRT, 2015 F150 Platinum , 2013 Keystone Laredo 291TG

[Do][---+---][oD]

My Ride
    '08 135i

Default Re: Things you dont use or really use with your PS3?

Just curious as to whats a good HD amount, or what things there are to look forward too.
    Just wanted to know things to look out for, and what insight you guys can offer towards buying a used system.
    If if just wisest to buy a brand new one?

Thanks a lot in advance for reading this!
    Futureshop got a deal on PS3 right now, PS3 + Uncharted 2 for $300, plus you pick a dualshock bundle to go along with that. So you get PS3, 2 controllers, uncharted 2 and another game for a normal $300 price.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-ca/category/id/pcps3.aspx

My Ride
    GD + GR WRB

Royal oak Walmart had a pretty good deal too, EA NHL11 and some other random game, 160gb PS3 for $299.. this is the setup I'll probably pick up after Christmas.

Oh, and to piggyback a bit on this thread, how's the Move setup working? Anyone playing with this yet?
    Bought not built!

My Ride

Thanks guys, just picked up a 160gb PS3 at Bestbuy.
    $300, and it came with Little big planet.

I got the 2 year warrenty, since if that is bought, then you get the second controller & another game free.

Just have to go buy GT5 now.

Yeah this thing is seriously a mini computer. I was surfing beyond and checking my email on it.
    Definitely cool!

My Ride
    Subway / Rav4

I have the 250GB and I think Im using maybe1/3 of the memory. 70% of the time its for streaming TV shows. 30% its between GTAIV and NHL.

"Having a war about religion is like having a fight over who's got the best invisible friend" - Yasser Arafat

My Ride

Just a quick question, lets say I wanted to upgrade to a 250gb HD, how would I go about transferring all the files & info?

thanks!

My Ride
    old Toyotas

Just a quick question, lets say I wanted to upgrade to a 250gb HD, how would I go about transferring all the files & info?

thanks!
    Best way is to connect an external usb hard drive/flash drive and there is a feature in the menu to "back up files" onto said drives. Then you put in your new hard drive and hit restore from the usb drive. Realistically all you would want to transfer over would be saved game files which would just take a usb flash drive and then you just reinstall the games you still play.