Quantcast
Can someone disable auto headlights? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Can someone disable auto headlights?

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

Default Can someone disable auto headlights?

Does anyone know how to disable the automatic headlights on a late model chev? I'm not talking about daytime running lights. I want to trick the sensor on the dash into thinking it is day light all the time, so I always have to manually turn on my headlights.

I don't really feel comfortable doing this by myself so I'm just wondering if there's anyone on the board that might be able to do it and I'll just pay you cash.

Here are the directions on what needs to be done:

Basically you will need a pair of wire cutters and a 1.5K ohm 1/2 watt resistor that you can get at Radio Shack. Electrical tape and possibly some wire nuts will work to wire in the resistor. You can solder the wires if you wish.

You may want to remove the neg. battery cable to assure you don't do any unwanted damage to the electrical system. This is not necessary, but a good precaution to take.

First locate the Body Control Module (BCM) which is under the dash, below the steering column. Laying on the floor, this should be visible without removing any dash panels. You should find a purple connector (C3). Unplug it.

Locate the white and gray wires (A4 and A6). I don't remember if white is A4 and gray is A6 or vice versa. It doesn't matter anyway.

Clip these two wires that are coming off this plug (C3). Leave a few inches to work with. Tape up or place wire nuts over the other end of these wires that go up under the dash(they go to the light sensor). You have now removed the light sensor from the electrical system and is now just a dash ornament.

Connect the gray wire from the plug (C3) to one end of the resistor and the white wire to the other end. Make sure you tape up all wires to prevent a short. You should now have a gray wire coming from C3, going to one lead of the resistor and the white wire from C3 to the other resistor lead. Plug in C3 to the BCM and replace the neg. battery cable if you removed it. Start the truck and make sure the lights are off. Throw a dark towel or something over the light sensor on the dash and verify the lights stay off. Try your light switch that has probably never been used and that's it!
    Last edited by ddduke; 12-13-2010 at 10:34 PM.
    We stopped checking for monsters under our beds when we realized they were inside us.

My Ride
    TSX / R6S

Why are you wanting to do this?

My Ride
    Harley Nightster

I also hate auto headlights :p maybe cause I lived in the states where as DRL were not mandatory

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

Originally posted by KO22
    I also hate auto headlights :p maybe cause I lived in the states where as DRL were not mandatory
    I'm not talking about DRL's, I'm talking about the lights that come on and off all the time when it starts to get dark.

Originally posted by Scat E46
    Why are you wanting to do this?
    I wanted to do this because I was having an HID issues late night and early morning. When the auto lights were on it was causing issues at start up for the lights (super common problem for Chevs). Not enough power goes to the lights because it's going elsewhere causing them to flicker for a few seconds then sometimes turn off. But when the truck is running and the lights are turned manually all the power goes to the lights firing them up with no issues.
    We stopped checking for monsters under our beds when we realized they were inside us.

isn't there a switch for the headlights for manual mode? should be close to there. but i'm just speaking for my 4runner.

My Ride
    65 Chevy C10

Originally posted by hrdkore
    isn't there a switch for the headlights for manual mode? should be close to there. but i'm just speaking for my 4runner.
    Not on the newer Chev trucks. On the Canadian models equipped with auto headlights they only have an auto feature, the "off" position is still on the switch but if you turn the dial to off it goes back to "auto" automatically.

My Ride
    TSX / R6S

Originally posted by ddduke

I wanted to do this because I was having an HID issues late night and early morning. When the auto lights were on it was causing issues at start up for the lights (super common problem for Chevs). Not enough power goes to the lights because it's going elsewhere causing them to flicker for a few seconds then sometimes turn off. But when the truck is running and the lights are turned manually all the power goes to the lights firing them up with no issues.
    I pretty much figured, saw the lift, the truck, and just knew you would a) be blinding people with your lifted truck and illegal height of your headlights, b) compounded by HID in a halogen housing.

Sigh. As much as I want to say do it properly with projectors, just wasting my time.

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

I pretty much figured, saw the lift, the truck, and just knew you would a) be blinding people with your lifted truck and illegal height of your headlights, b) compounded by HID in a halogen housing.

Sigh. As much as I want to say do it properly with projectors, just wasting my time.
    Why are you wasting your time? Can't you talk about this in one of the 10 other hid threads.

All I asked is if someone can disable auto lights. This truck isn't even being driven, it's a project truck that's in the works.

Actually, you're the one wasting OUR times and valuable beyond space. You were banned like what 20 times? GTFO troll

luxor Guest

Originally posted by PulsePro

Actually, you're the one wasting OUR times and valuable beyond space. You were banned like what 20 times? GTFO troll
    I wouldn't call him a troll for calling out ricers with shitty blinding HIDs. Truth is they are annoying as fuck and I, along with many others on here, agree with Scat.

Solution to OP: Ditch those HIDs.

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

Whatever man, either way they're staying in. I don't complain about the shitty ricer exhaust systems I hear, the idiots that are constantly driving with hi beams on, all the rhd idiots driving like maniacs, people parking in 2 spots, lowered cars taking 10 minutes to drive through parking lots because the can't take speed bumps head on, etc. because it won't make a difference, some people should take a lesson.

But as for the original questions, I don't even need help any more. The problem has been solved.

Originally posted by luxor

I wouldn't call him a troll for calling out ricers with shitty blinding HIDs. Truth is they are annoying as fuck and I, along with many others on here, agree with Scat.

Solution to OP: Ditch those HIDs.
    I have to agree as well. Lifted trucks that don't adjust their headlights for the lift are bad enough but when you throw in the ghetto HID's it's even worse.

No big surprise that these are generally the same people that don't have mudflaps on their trucks, don't have proper fender flares, tailgate the shit out of other drivers and pretty much act like huge tools. Makes decent truck owners look bad.

My Ride
    Can't driver because I'm legally blind

Originally posted by BrknFngrs

I have to agree as well. Lifted trucks that don't adjust their headlights for the lift are bad enough but when you throw in the ghetto HID's it's even worse.

No big surprise that these are generally the same people that don't have mudflaps on their trucks, don't have proper fender flares, tailgate the shit out of other drivers and pretty much act like huge tools. Makes decent truck owners look bad.

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

Originally posted by BrknFngrs

The headlights in my truck are pointed downwards, unless I'm right up on someone's ass then they don't shine into cars, big dog did this when they built the truck. I do have mudflaps on my truck. I also have fender flares (I think they look good anyways).

As for driving like a douche/tailgating people, I don't do any of that. I need a license for my job and can't get tickets cause of commercial insurance being so expensive. Also, there's huge company logos and phone numbers all over the thing, that would just make me and my company look like idiots.