Quantcast
Scammed out of $200 on eBay from a guy in NB (Brian Anderson). Fun with Scammer... - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Scammed out of $200 on eBay from a guy in NB (Brian Anderson). Fun with Scammer...

another example of why china is winning.
    Last edited by Guillermo; 12-19-2010 at 12:04 PM.

isn't advertising something as it's brand name implied that it has to be real?
    you can always call your cc company and cancel the payment.

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

China did an amazing job copying those headphones, kudos to them.

Even on the fake vs real pics I can't see the difference.

To me if they sounded half decent I would just rock them, for the price you paid you got an okay deal.
    It's not like he stiffed you out of your money, you paid a cheap price and got your money's worth in headphones.

It's sneaky stuff to pass off real as fake but you have to be careful on the internet, if it seems too good to be true, you should cover yourself by asking lots of questions and doing research.

You have to take responsibility for outcomes in your life, if you get 400$ headphones for 200$ would it really be asking too much for you to send the guy a quick message asking if the headphones are authentic?
    Or maybe ask a friend what he thinks, or post up a quick thread here on beyond?

If someone came up to you at the mall asking if you wanted to buy a big screen tv for 150$ I bet you would be skeptical, here you must be just as skeptical.
    Last edited by Modelexis; 12-19-2010 at 12:04 PM.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

Originally posted by punky
    isn't advertising something as it's brand name implied that it has to be real?
    not in china - apparently there you're a fucking idiot if you don't ask the seller if they're authentic or not. just another example of how china is winning...

Well yes, admittedly, some of this is my fault for not using my due diligence in buying these. At this point it's not really about the money. It's just morally wrong for this guy to be importing a boatload of these fake products knowingly and flipping it for profit to unsuspecting people. Yes, I do have to "take responsibilities for the outcomes in my life" but that doesnt mean I have to passively accept every punch I get without fighting back.

As overpriced as I think Bose is, I would never pay full retail for them...but these were meant to be gifts for my sister and parents, and I am NOT giving them a fake knock off product. There's a bunch of other people who bought these fakes from the guy too and most of them dont seem like they know it.

Anywho, I contacted PayPal and basically if I can get a written statement of some sort from a "professional" then I can get my money back. The manager of the Bose store is not authorized to do so, so I will be calling Bose technical services tomorrow directly.

Originally posted by nobb
    Well yes, admittedly, some of this is my fault for not using my due diligence in buying these.
    I disagree - it's definitely NOT you fault for being sold counterfeit merchandise. One of the great things about western society is that we are protected by copyright and trademark law. It is straight out ILLEGAL to sell counterfeit merchandise. Aside from trying to get your money back, I would strongly recommend reporting this guy to his local police.

Don't let these kids on here make you think that you're somehow at fault for not asking the seller if ther were authentic or not. This is Canada, NOT China.

The law enforcement in his area is handled by District 9 RCMP, but not sure if they would even bother with a small profile case like this. I will also be trying to contact everyone he sold these to. It's not just about my money, but everyone elses' as well.

This is quite alot of effort to get $200 back, but you're right...we live in Western society with laws to protect everyone. One of the reasons why I love being in Canada.

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

Laws in western society protect you from being robbed, this is not to say you can walk around and not take responsibility for the possibility of a robbery, ie lock your car, take in your gps and player deck.

Laws are just words on paper, they do not stop crime, the police are not going to save you from making questionable purchases online. The only person you can depend on for protection is you.

Don't be fooled by the false sense of security that are our laws.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

The law enforcement in his area is handled by District 9 RCMP, but not sure if they would even bother with a small profile case like this. I will also be trying to contact everyone he sold these to. It's not just about my money, but everyone elses' as well.

This is quite alot of effort to get $200 back, but you're right...we live in Western society with laws to protect everyone. One of the reasons why I love being in Canada.
    I would contact the RCMP. They busted this counterfeit merch operation based on reports from the public: http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/on/news-no...chener-eng.htm

what is there to lose reporting it to the police?

EDIT: actually, if you go to the link i posted, it says (on the RCMP website):
    anyone who suspects the illegal importation, manufacture, or sale of counterfeit retail products is encouraged to contact their local police of jurisdiction for assistance.
    Last edited by Guillermo; 12-19-2010 at 03:01 PM.

Originally posted by Guillermo

not in china - apparently there you're a fucking idiot if you don't ask the seller if they're authentic or not. just another example of how china is winning...
    Neither the OP or seller is in china, unless i'm missing something. so for the context of this thread, my point stand.

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

I'm in NB right now... but in Saint John.

My Ride
    is in storage, due to the recession!!!

call the rcmp in nb and tell them this guys selling counterfeit merchandise? see what happens...

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

As overpriced as I think Bose is, I would never pay full retail for them...but these were meant to be gifts for my sister and parents.
    Bullshit

Originally posted by punky

Neither the OP or seller is in china, unless i'm missing something. so for the context of this thread, my point stand.
    earlier in the thread, people were saying "WHAT, YOU DIDN'T ASK THE SELLER IF IT'S AUTHENTIC????!?!?!?!? IT'S YOUR OWN DAMN FAULT THEN!!!"

i was pointing out that while that might be applicable in China, we're in fucking Canada, and when something has a brand name on the box, you ASSUME it's authentic. i've never once walked into a store and said to the salesperson "so, are these authentic Nikes, or knockoff Nikes."

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

earlier in the thread, people were saying "WHAT, YOU DIDN'T ASK THE SELLER IF IT'S AUTHENTIC????!?!?!?!? IT'S YOUR OWN DAMN FAULT THEN!!!"

i was pointing out that while that might be applicable in China, we're in fucking Canada, and when something has a brand name on the box, you ASSUME it's authentic. i've never once walked into a store and said to the salesperson "so, are these authentic Nikes, or knockoff Nikes."
    are you fucking kidding me? what does China has to do with anything? how familiar are you with the Chinese law to know that this is applicable in China? There are people selling fake shit anywhere in the world, this just shows ignorant you are.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

are you fucking kidding me? what does China has to do with anything? how familiar are you with the Chinese law to know that this is applicable in China? There are people selling fake shit anywhere in the world, this just shows ignorant you are.
    It's canadian to assume authenticity when a brand name is attached...

Do you walk into the apple store trying to buy an apple sci-phone?? or the a-phone or whatever the fack they call it?

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

Originally posted by jwslam

It's canadian to assume authenticity when a brand name is attached...

Do you walk into the apple store trying to buy an apple sci-phone?? or the a-phone or whatever the fack they call it?
    when i walked into the apple store in china i never asked them if they are real or not... did you? have you set foot in China?

dude we are discussing the process of buying from a fucking buying from a private source.... scammers are everywhere. Is it normal for the western society to sell "ps3 boxes" on ebay for 900?

My Ride
    is Invisible

My CC did fuck all when a guy sold me a BBS wheel that was straight and true, with no curb rash. When i received it, it looked like the rim was run over by a tank.

CC company wanted me to mail the rim back and once i showed proof, they would look into the case. FUCK OFF CIBC.

Luckily when i filed a PP claim the seller failed to respond and they refunded me the money.

My Ride
    WAO Arrival

It's not your fault.

I find it amusing when people rationalize criminal acts on here. The dude sold FAKE Bose headphones, who the fuck cares if Bose headphones are not the ones you would buy? He sold them under the pretense that they are real. What until this shit happens to you, or maybe your parents?

Jesus, I swear our fucking society is fucked. What if I parked my car at the mall and it got broken into? If I came on here to tell people about it, it would be my own damn fault for parking there and I should grow a pair and suck it up and stop being an idiot.

I am in for fucking with this guy to no end; he is buying knockoff headphones for MAYBE 10 bucks and selling them as authentic for $200. I have a problem with that. Criminals are the fucking scum of our society.

My Ride
    09 WRX Hatchback / 72 240z

Originally posted by tictactoe2004

Does he have to actually say they are authentic? He uses the brand name over and over again and i'm pretty sure the UPC code he is listing for the product is the legitimate bose UPC from the real headphones.

edit: if he's selling fakes he's breaking the rules for sure:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/...unterfeit.html
    Actually as long as the product as the logo of a particular brand, it's a violation of eBay's policies. Doesn't matter if they put "authentic" or not.

You do know that a lot of eBay fakes lately are from the Philippines and Malaysia?

I use a eBay vero tool which allows manufacturers or those who hold copyrights to a particular brand to report and get listings removed. Most vero users I talk to see a huge trend from those two countries...not China.

Dam I thought Americans were ignorant, but wow you just take the cake on that one.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast