Quantcast
(NYT article) A Time Traveler With Tailfins, coast to coast in a '58 Caddy. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: (NYT article) A Time Traveler With Tailfins, coast to coast in a '58 Caddy.

My Ride
    All made in Japan.

Default (NYT article) A Time Traveler With Tailfins, coast to coast in a '58 Caddy.

Man I would love to do this one day soon. Thinking of what car I should buy to do it in, something big and from the 1950-1965 era. Wheels are turning and I am off to eBay for some ideas.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/19/au...pagewanted=all

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

I wouldn't do it at all. At my dads farm, he has a 1964 International 1/2 ton, and that thing is the biggest bitch to drive on this side of the planet (dont even get me started on a non-synchromesh tranny, and thats IF you could get it running). You'll lose all appreciation for old cars the second you drive anything past 1980.
    Remembering my old '72 Chevelle, you have no idea just how dated cars of that era past that are.

I've driven 15,000 pound 1-1.5 ton trucks fully loaded that handled better then that thing did. Like, I could go on for hours describing it. It was honestly surreal, and in the worst conceivable context of that statement.

For my '38 Chevy hot rod truck, I put the body on an S10 frame, just so I wouldn't have to deal with "technology" of that era.
    Just one drive from anything from the 30's to the early 60's, and trust me, that'll KILL your interest in anything "antique"
    Trust me, theres a reason why he spent so much time in the shops. If you are serious, do what I did and toss the body on a modern day frame & drivetrain, and you`ll be laughing. But using old school equipment, forget it.
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 12-21-2010 at 11:35 PM.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    All made in Japan.

Leave on a 10 day trip for 14.... kind of said it all in the article. I have had two cars from the 60's, both very near mint and you are right they do need babysitting. I am still amazed I can run spark plugs for 250,000 kms in a modern day car without changing them, mind you it takes an hour to remove all the crap just to get to the plugs.

Old car, new frame, motor, etc... will look around.