Quantcast
I have a 1990 Integra Ls that shakes when i use lights or my system..any suggestions? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: I have a 1990 Integra Ls that shakes when i use lights or my system..any suggestions?

Default I have a 1990 Integra Ls that shakes when i use lights or my system..any suggestions?

I have been storing my 1990 Integra LS in my garage since September and at least once every two weeks i start it and let it run for a bit. Now, ever since Novemeber, i always have to start my car with booster cables because the battery doesnt hold a charge anymore and once its started and I turn on the head lights, or i press the brake, or i turn on my system, the car seems like it loses power and begins to shake. Now I know i need a new battery but is that really the reason why the car shakes when i use lights, etc... It never shook before I stored it for the winter. Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

Thanks!!!

sound like the battery isnt taking a charge... get a new one!

the reason its shaking is probably because the idle is dropping very low, to the point of almost stalling... because turning on the headlights, or any accessory, will tax the electrical system, more than it can handle with a bad battery!
    Last edited by xkon; 01-06-2004 at 09:10 PM.

My Ride
    Accord 6-6, Tacoma

By using a grounding kit, your idle should smooth out more, even when under more electric load.
    Honda/Acura guy

My Ride
    240sx, 300c, turbo TE72, FG1 Civic, Pilot

battery can't hold a charge. you should stop running the car before your alternator goes also. might as well fix it before it gets worse. what could be a $100 fix can turn into $300+

ph: 403.248.1566
    email: [email protected]

Supertech, Link ECU, ViPec, Nistune, Competition Clutch, Nardi, Personal, Worksbell, Seibon, VIS, Shine Auto Project, Agency Power, Status, Full-Race, Stillen, Mazworx,
    Megan Racing, Zedd Performance, Varrstoen

I'd say the alternator is toast. It can't charge the battery when the car is running therefore you have to jump it and when it is running it can't supply enough power for the accessories, thus causing the revs to drop and the shaking to begin. The battery may now be toast as well now too, just get it all tested. That's my 2 cents.

My Ride
    2009 Impreza

Yeah I'm thinking it might be the alternator too. I've had a similar thing happen and after replacing the alternator everything was fine. In fact, most G2 owners will tell you they've had to replace thier alternator due to failure, seems it's a very common problem.

My Ride
    Chevy Colorado ZR2

Same thing happened to me, well slowly.
    I noticed that whenever I use my turn signals or any accessories my rpm would drop until my battery light kept on blinking and it stayed solid. Then I got my battery tested and the battery was fine, almost toasted my battery because it was not charging properly due to failing alternator.

Replaced the alternator recently and all the problems went away

if your lights and engine are "dipping" when surged, your alterntor is pooched. Sorry to say it. I'd suggest hitting up a parts depot (try A-1) or go for a refurbished one is possible.

to tell if its the alternator... just take a look at your voltage meter... does it drop well below 12V when you turn on the lights, radio etc...

My Ride
    1993 Nissan 240sx

getting your alternator tested isn't all that expensive either. Places like Canadian Tire I think test for free on some things.