Quantcast
My 2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Limited mini build! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: My 2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Limited mini build!

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Default My 2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Limited mini build!

I recently bought a 2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Limited! My previous car was a 1992 Nissan 180SX I finally finished just 2 months ago when it was unfortunately hit, and I am still waiting to figure out whether it is getting fixed then I am selling it or if I am taking a cash payout and selling it as a perfect candidate for a front end swap.

So I am going to embark on what I'm going to call a slow and small mini build on my Legacy GT.

Here's a list of things that I plan on doing over the next year or so.

New timing Belt Kit (soon)
    New waterpump (soon)
    Polish the exterior (soon)
    Upgraded clutch-unsure of brand yet
    Upgraded injectors-unsure of brand yet
    AVO top mount intercooler core
    Blouch TD05H-16GXT journal bearing turbo.
    Cobb Intake Kit with Induction Box
    Turbo back exhaust-unsure of brand/parts but I do want to retain the catalytic converter
    Cobb Accessport with a tune
    Cobb/Tein/Eibach lowering springs
    Some bigass mudflaps
    18x8 5x100 +45 wheels-unsure what type yet
    235/40/18 Dunlop Direzza D1 Star Specs

Here's a couple photos of the car when I picked it up last week:

My Ride
    is in storage, due to the recession!!!

to the new build, to the 180 gettin hit

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Yes I agree. I just finished the car before winter to how I pretty much wanted it and the day after I installed my last part bam someone backed into it in front of my parents house.

I guess its nice to have a 13 year newer car with AWD and winter tires now that has heated seats and a sunroof and stuff like that even if it does have nearly as many km on it.

My Ride
    FJC, S30

IMHO the AVO intercooler is just overkill. It will sure look nice but I think a JDM STi intercooler will do. You can use the rest of that money for a muffler. Like the JDM STi Legacy peice.
    Submaker.Illest.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Where can I buy a JDM STi intercooler, or would I have to buy one used? Will it mount up to the stock points, because that's mainly why I was looking at the AVO one.

The exhaust is probably going to be quite expensive unless I find some good deals online.

My Ride
    FJC, S30

^ are you nasioc?
    you can get them USED from importers. jdmsource might even have some. they will mount up to the stock units. You should even look into the TMIC spray like the 04-07 STi units. cool gimmick.

as for exhaust your looking at 1000 or under.

edit: theres a USDM STi intercooler for sale on WSC
    Last edited by That.Guy.S30; 12-24-2010 at 05:47 PM.
    Submaker.Illest.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I will probably go with the TMIC spray as well, pretty easy to install. No I'm not on NASIOC I shall join up.

Where can I find a turbo back exhaust for $1000ish? Online cheapest half decent quality I have seen was about $800 plus shipping for a catback plus then I need the downpipe and any other pieces?

My Ride
    FJC, S30

the AVo top mount is 800 bucks without shipping. A brand new Sti Unit will cost the same price.

A used one will much cheaper. if you do get the intercooler spray theres a SPec C resevere tank or the USDM tank.

To be honest, I've been out of the subaru game for a long time. might want to ask the guys on WSC or Nasioc.

For power, go with the downpipe first. mufflers dont do much.
    as for options theres the JDM STI sport muffler (quad tips), STi genome, prodrive, fujitsubo, HKS.

some of the HKS mufflers can be had for under 1000.
    Submaker.Illest.

My Ride
    STi

Nice car. I've always liked the Legacy GTs. Nice to see another subaru driver on the road. Are you on WSC yet?

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Thanks and yes I am on WSC.

awwww yeeah

what's the biggest improvement over the s13? anything you miss?

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Biggest improvement, that's a toughie. Its just so much more refined in every way. I like the interior a lot more, I like having heated seats, I like how much brighter the headlights are, I like having the practicality of 4 doors and a trunk (other vehicles in my family include my 1992 Nissan 180SX which isn't all that practical, a 2dr Jeep Cherokee which is kinda practical, a BMW 135i, which isn't all that practical, a BMW Z4M which is terrible but fun, and my dads track car which you have to climb over the sides cause the doors are fixed, no roof, mid engine two seater also not practical. I like the AWD but its not as much fun in the snow as good old RWD with a limited slip. I like having a tow hitch because I have a small trailer and ATV I can tow with either the Subaru or Jeep now. I like that the fuel economy is slightly better than my Nissan. 3rd through 5th gear at speed feels amazing, the car is much quieter, I fucking love having cruise control finally for the highway!

I don't like the feeling of the clutch in the Subaru though, I don't like the lower 6500RPM redline as compared to the 7500 redline in my Nissan, I don't like second gear in the Subaru but then again, I don't like second gear in my Nissan either. I don't like the reminder of doing the clutch and timing belt and spark plugs on it soon but it needs to be done so I will suck it up haha. I miss the power of my S13 but that will be fixed eventually, I miss being able to hear the turbo like on my S13 as well.

Overall I will probably be keeping this car for a long long time, I always kinda knew I wouldn't be keeping my Nissan for more than a few years, it was a car for my youth.

Congrats man I am surprised at the fuel economy compared to the s13. merry christmas

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Its only SLIGHTLY better than my S13 haha. Thanks man Merry Christmas to you too.

Originally posted by That.Guy.S30
    IMHO the AVO intercooler is just overkill. It will sure look nice but I think a JDM STi intercooler will do. You can use the rest of that money for a muffler. Like the JDM STi Legacy peice.
    You do know that the Leggy setup is completely different from the STI right?

Didn't think so

My Ride
    FJC, S30

^ wow did i ever screw up on that one. its been awhile since my subaru days.

to do the FMIC you need the STi turbo, intercooler pipes, manifold and few more peices.

the 09+ wrx fit correct?

edit: Sorry OP. my bad
    Submaker.Illest.

beautiful car, always liked those, IMO they are a lot classier than their brat sibling the sti (don't get me wrong I love Stis) . GL with the build. I know what you mean about 4 doors, I used to hate 4 door vehicles, until I bought my jetta and realized getting more than one other passenger into a car doesn't have to be an ordeal, and you don't have to feel like a contortionist every time you want to grab your backpack/sport bag from the back seat.

Originally posted by That.Guy.S30
    ^ wow did i ever screw up on that one. its been awhile since my subaru days.

to do the FMIC you need the STi turbo, intercooler pipes, manifold and few more peices.

the 09+ wrx fit correct?

edit: Sorry OP. my bad
    Haha I don't know why Subaru went with 2 different routing configurations, when I was building my Legacy it was a royal pain as the parts were more expensive and hard to find.

You are correct though, parts from the 08+WRX will work which is awesome as there is a lot more available now and the prices have come way down.

My Ride
    All made in Japan.

Originally posted by J-hop
    beautiful car, always liked those, IMO they are a lot classier than their brat sibling the sti (don't get me wrong I love Stis) . GL with the build. I know what you mean about 4 doors, I used to hate 4 door vehicles, until I bought my jetta and realized getting more than one other passenger into a car doesn't have to be an ordeal, and you don't have to feel like a contortionist every time you want to grab your backpack/sport bag from the back seat.
    I went with a four door long ago, tired of hoisting my grandparents out of the back seat of my two door BMW. I personally will not sit in the back of a two door car, feels like there is no emergency escape route. If you are getting a two door car, it might as well be a two seat car and be done with it.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

The Legacy is by far our most practical vehicle lol. We have two 2 seat convertibles, two 2 door coupes, and a 2 door Jeep.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast