Quantcast
15.4" - 17" Laptops - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: 15.4" - 17" Laptops

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Default 15.4" - 17" Laptops

Budget is around 1500, obviously prefer to not spend that much.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Product...E%29.aspx?cc=1

http://configure.dell.com/dellstore/...&vw=list&frb=1

Basically the same price, the dell has 3GB of video vs 1.5GB and Asus has 1080p vs 900p on the dell. What 3gb vs 1.5gb means in real world application I have no clue, I'm not very tech savvy. I wonder if you can even tell the difference between 1080 and 900 on such a small screen?

I'm not opposed to getting a 15.4" either but these struck my interest. Basically looking for something that will run Crysis well, possibly do HDMI out to a TV and run editing software flawlessly like Lightroom and Photoshop (which are sluggish as hell on my lappy now).

Or do I not need to even spend that much based on my requirements?

Cheers.
    Ultracrepidarian

The g73 blows the xps away. The 460 is a superior card to the 445 and runs DDR5 as opposed to DDR3 . The 1080p screen on the g73 is a must have especially for photoshop or other editing software and can be scaled down to 1600x900 for better gaming performance (if needed) without any noticeable loss in quality. The cooling on the G73 is also miles ahead of the xps. It runs cool and quiet even under load. The last thing you want while gaming is for your laptop to sound like a jet fighter taking off.

My Ride
    2003 Subaru WRX Stg. 2

g73 is a way better machine. Also Asus comes with a 2 year warranty standard(aslong as you register your laptop within 30 days of purchase)

My Ride
    STi

My friend has the g73. It's powerful but It's absolutely HUGE. If you don't mind lugging it around, it's a really good laptop.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Thanks guys.

Size isn't a huge concern as I'll have my small 14" lappy now for my last semester of school.

Bigmass, does that warranty cover everything in the two years? Like would it even be worthwhile to get a 3 year warranty from memory express if Asus covers 2 years of it anyways?
    Ultracrepidarian

Originally posted by msommers
    Thanks guys.

Size isn't a huge concern as I'll have my small 14" lappy now for my last semester of school.

Bigmass, does that warranty cover everything in the two years? Like would it even be worthwhile to get a 3 year warranty from memory express if Asus covers 2 years of it anyways?
    Asus world wide warranty is pretty rock solid. But you will have downtime if you need to RMA it back to Asus. So as long as you have a temporary back up you're fine. Mem's IPR is great because they take care of you ASAP but it's really expensive. It's your choice really. The size argument for the G73 is really ridiculous as it completely replaces a gaming desktop due to it’s power and features. Compare it to a gaming desktop and a 1080p screen and the size doesn’t seem like an issue anymore.

Hmm looks like Dell stopped shipping the XPS 15 and XPS 17 with the 1080p screens. Guess I was lucky to get it before they stopped. I recently picked up an XPS 15 for $1500 all in with the following specs and I'm really happy with it so far.

- i7 740QM
    - 6GB RAM
    - 1080p RGLED screen
    - 500GB HD
    - geforce 435m 2GB w/ TV tuner & HDMI out
    - blu-ray drive
    - extended 9-cell battery (kinda lifts the back up so it's angled, but i don't mind the angle and it gets better air flow)

It has a couple of other random little things that also go a long way too, including 2 USB 3.0 ports, backlit keyboard, huge multi-touch touchpad, and best of all, JBL audio sound system (with mini subwoofer). It really is the best sound I've ever heard from a laptop, and no other one can come close. I don't game much so I can't give you a useful comment on that, but the few games i've tried play really smooth on fairly high settings. Everything on the 1080p screen looks absolutely beautiful, but yeah unfortunately doesn't look like it's an option any more.