Quantcast
G35 HIID Install - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: G35 HIID Install

Default G35 HIID Install

Hi guys,

Does anybody know of a place that can install an HID kit (35 W 6000k from Krypton Bulbs) in the low beam on a 2005 G35 Coupe (American)?

The Infiniti and Nissan Dealers both said they will not do the install.

I tried to do it myself, but I had a lot of trouble taking off the wheel well plastics (so I gave up) and it was really hard to reach the back of the headlights from under the hood.

Any places that do this kind of work for a not so outrageous cost?

The HID kit cost me $70 so I'm not planning on spending $300 bucks for the install since I can get a projector headlight set-up for around $500.

Any help would be appreciated.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

lol.. Mmm.. You do know you drive a car where you don't even need to retrofit projectors because it is basically a direct swap, and you still want to install HIDs in your current housings? You might as well get the projector headlights. It's really a no brainer to me.

I'm surprised the dealership won't install the HID kit for you though.

Well an HID kit costs $70 (I have one on my Yamaha R1 as well) but the cost of getting a projector headlight for this car is approx $500 .... $70 vs $500 is not a no brainer.

I was planning on doing the install myself but its a pain in the ass and not worth my time (would probably take me 3 hours or so.. plus I couldn't get one of the screws out to take out the plastics). I bought this for my mom as this is her car. To make things simple for her, I want her to be able to take the car to a shop that will do the install and also change the high beam bulbs as well to white ones (not HID).

It's a pain just because of the location of the headlight housings, which for G35 coupes require removal of the wheel well plastics to access the back of the headlight housings, even for a simple bulb change.

I was surprised too that the dealerships won't do it... prbly because it is in aftermarket product that I didn't buy from them.

My Ride

Not going to lecture you further, but you do know that even though you're installing the HIDs in low-beam, they'll likely blind other drivers on the road due to your cheap fix, right? Pretty much do it right, or don't do it at all.

Sorry, had to be a scat19 in this one. Every single night, I swear I'm blinded by at least 2 cars/trucks who think they are hot shit with their bright ass lights. It's getting somewhat ridiculous.

Originally posted by Disoblige
    Not going to lecture you further, but you do know that even though you're installing the HIDs in low-beam, they'll likely blind other drivers on the road due to your cheap fix, right? Pretty much do it right, or don't do it at all.

Sorry, had to be a scat19 in this one. Every single night, I swear I'm blinded by at least 2 cars/trucks who think they are hot shit with their bright ass lights. It's getting somewhat ridiculous.

you just answered your own question. HIDs if not illegal are highly frowned upon (i believe there is a clause in the alberta traffic safety act that states lights must not blind on coming drivers just like driving in city limits with your high beams on and improperly aimed headlights are illegal). I am not surprised at all that the dealer wouldn't do this.

OP you drive a G35, wouldn't it be safe to say you can afford a projector swap, or did you get it really cheap/buy out of your pay grade???

I agree with disoblige on this one. Not only will you be that dim wit that blinds everyone on the road, but you will also take a nice car and make it look poor ass. I don't care what people try to say, with the amount of scatter and glare HIDs in stock reflectors have, it will make any car look like a Mattel toy. Save your money and do it right, check out theretrofitsource.com
    Last edited by J-hop; 01-06-2011 at 01:00 AM.

My Ride

^^ The reason I didn't think it was surprising is because there are LOTS of dealerships out there who install HID kits for customers whether or not they know it is illegal. Business is business to some.

And OP doesn't need to go to theretrofitsource like most of us need to. As I stated earlier, his swap is made simple for him. He just needs to find a set of newer generation G35 headlights that come with projectors, and it's a direct swap. Easy pie.

Originally posted by Disoblige
    ^^ The reason I didn't think it was surprising is because there are LOTS of dealerships out there who install HID kits for customers whether or not they know it is illegal. Business is business to some.

And OP doesn't need to go to theretrofitsource like most of us need to. As I stated earlier, his swap is made simple for him. He just needs to find a set of newer generation G35 headlights that come with projectors, and it's a direct swap. Easy pie.
    yea sorry I read over that, I didn't realize the newer g35 lights would just swap in.

I really wish more dealerships/shops would refuse to do these HID installs, I want to take a baseball bat to every car I see running these, especially the lifted trucks that blind the shit out of you.

Funny thing is too, a lot of these guys spend just as much money on the kit and paying for install as it would take to buy a projector kit online, read up on beyond or something like HIDplanet and install a set of projectors themselves. Doing a projector swap results in a three fold reward, they get to take pride in their accomplishment, they end up with a car that doesn't piss everyone off and they have a car that doesn't look cheap as hell.
    Last edited by J-hop; 01-06-2011 at 01:10 AM.

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

I don't believe any of the G35 came with projector headlights. They are all reflector based HID setup using D2R bulbs.

Unless OP is referring to eBay-Special projector headlights for his G35.

Originally posted by HiSpec
    I don't believe any of the G35 came with projector headlights. They are all reflector based HID setup using D2R bulbs.

a Reflector based HID is fine, Many volvos run this set up. But in general when people refer to reflector housings they are referring to ones made for Halogen lamps which are not designed for the beam pattern of an HID bulb.

My Ride

Originally posted by HiSpec

You might want to take a look at the 06 and 07 G35s then.

^ Thanks for all the comments.

I have never installed an HID in a stock reflector housing so far.. I didn't know glare was an issue... good to know though.

I have done a projector retrofit but that was on my R6 where it was easy to get to the headlights. My R1 comes stock with projectors so I simply had to install an HID kit.

Disoblige.. As for projector headlights, are they a direct swap from 2006/7 into a 2005? Is it as much of a pain in the ass as changing the bulbs? (How much work is involved in getting to all the headlight bolts and swapping out the headlight housings?)

J-hop... I did not buy the car really cheap or buy out of my pay grade... It's my mom's car and I wanted to do something nice for her while I was visiting for Christmas... learn to read before posting sarcastic comments. Since when is this forum about bashing on people who do not want to pay top dollar for every mod??

My Ride
    05 G35 Coupe

I use to have 6k HID on my 05 G35, but although the light output was more bluer it created some glare, not much since 03~05 housing are still designed to output stock xenon lights but they are not the look i wanted. After buying a set of 07 projectors off some guy from g35driver the light output is 50 times better without any glare and it just looks 50 times better. Just take a look at g35driver market place some times they go for $200~400, mostly people who sell them are people who totaled their car so they just part their car for cheap just have to make sure all the tabs and stuff are in good codition.

Just my thoughts

07 Headlights are a straight swap into the 05, with minor wiring.

My Ride
    g35-c

the 06 on projectors unless bought from a canadian dealer where they cost 1200 are not a direct swap. The ones that can be grabbed from the states for around 500-600 will need you to re-wire them to get the DRL to work. i picked up 06 lights for my 05 and had to add a couple of relays and rewire a bunch of grounds and splice the harness with the relay. if you go on g35driver.com there is a DIY. I actually have the pdf copy if anyone needs it.

But like stated before the car has stock HID's both for reflector style 03-05 and projector 06+

Im currently running 8000k on the 05 lights and 12000k on the 06. No problems here
    Last edited by G_Zilla; 03-08-2011 at 10:38 PM.

My Ride
    '98 M3 dinan stage 4

Originally posted by G_Zilla
    the 06 on projectors unless bought from a canadian dealer where they cost 1200 are not a direct swap. The ones that can be grabbed from the states for around 500-600 will need you to re-wire them to get the DRL to work. i picked up 06 lights for my 05 and had to add a couple of relays and rewire a bunch of grounds and splice the harness with the relay. if you go on g35driver.com there is a DIY. I actually have the pdf copy if anyone needs it.

But like stated before the car has stock HID's both for reflector style 03-05 and projector 06+

Im currently running 8000k on the 05 lights and 12000k on the 06. No problems here
    when we did my friends american G35 it was about 1/2 hour and $10 in parts and no need to get to the headlights at all for the DRL. all had to do with the fusebox in the engine bay. when we painted my headlight housings it took us about 1 hour to remove the bumper and headlights.

either way OP needs to remove the front bumper to get to the lights to switch out the bulbs or replace w/ projectors.... hope he takes some time and gets his hands dirty cause he wont be getting this done for less than $100 for sure. ($75/hr labour... probably more).

oh ya i have a set of oracle angel eyes for the coupe as well i didnt install for sale if anyone wants them...8000k.
    Last edited by 6mtguy; 03-08-2011 at 11:08 PM.
    06 g35Turbo. 404 whp. sold
    99 tercel (with winter tires). sold
    98 bmw m3 dinan stage 4.
    06 smart cdi

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Buy these and be done with it.

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ259483912

An HID kit in those reflector housings is going to be a scatterfest.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    g35-c

I wasn't aware of that. Everything that was being posted on g35driver was saying that relays were needed. Either way I opened them up to paint matte black and the wireing took 40 mins per light so it wasn't to bad. But if anyone else can confirm that all that's needed is to pull a fuse or so then I'm gonna pick some more lights up. Is it correct that canadian spec gs have a extra fuse box ???

Thanks

Originally posted by 6mtguy

when we did my friends american G35 it was about 1/2 hour and $10 in parts and no need to get to the headlights at all for the DRL. all had to do with the fusebox in the engine bay. when we painted my headlight housings it took us about 1 hour to remove the bumper and headlights.

either way OP needs to remove the front bumper to get to the lights to switch out the bulbs or replace w/ projectors.... hope he takes some time and gets his hands dirty cause he wont be getting this done for less than $100 for sure. ($75/hr labour... probably more).

oh ya i have a set of oracle angel eyes for the coupe as well i didnt install for sale if anyone wants them...8000k.

My Ride
    TSX / R6S

Originally posted by avishal26
    Well an HID kit costs $70 (I have one on my Yamaha R1 as well) but the cost of getting a projector headlight for this car is approx $500 .... $70 vs $500 is not a no brainer.
    Pointing a little amount of crappy light versus pointing more of the crappy light is still crappy light.

Originally posted by Scat E46

Pointing a little amount of crappy light versus pointing more of the crappy light is still crappy light.

??

Just because these HID Kits are $70 does not mean they are crappy. I've compared them side by side with kits that cost more for some reason and have a bigger ballast and they have similar light output... maybe you should stop overpaying for your HID kits...

My Ride

HID Kit vs. Projector Housings are 2 different things. In ideal cases, you'd have both. Bright and cool looking, and light that is directed correctly.

When you say $70 vs $500, sure of course it is a no brainer if you don't care about any one else on the road. In the end, it doesn't really matter. If you want to do a mod that will annoy the fuck out of most people on the road, then it just makes those with retrofits look better

We warned you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast