Quantcast
Car Auctions - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Car Auctions

My Ride
    1987 RX7 T2

Default Car Auctions

Ok, lets say there's at car at Regal Auctions in Calgary that I am interested in buying.

What are the limitations on buying this car?
    Can they sell me it if its written off?
    Can they sell it to me with major problems?

Anyone know, or have any experience with Car Auctions?

My Ride
    335i

Not sure if I can answer all of your questions, but have you ever considered the reason why people put their cars in the auctions?

Most of them have serious problems that cannot be easily recognized by bargain seeking auction buyers. They can sell it to you with major problems, and you are left with the foot up your ass. If a car was written off and has since been repaired, it is fair game.

Not sure what you mean by "what are the limitations on buying this car"
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    V167

major problems - yes they can sell you one....thats the thing about auctions, you don't know EXACTLY everything about what could be wrong with the car

that being said.....all of the cars that our family owns right now have been purchased at auction......all of them were bank repo and none of them have had any problems since time of purchase (the jetta was actually maintained PERFECTLY, the previous owner stuck to the maintainence schedule right to the fine print and the car had the timing belt changed around 5000kms before it got repo'd ahahah).
    We got a good deal on all of the cars as well (4-6 thousand less than regular market price...) and the cars were still covered by manufacturer warranty at time of purchase.

if you don't know what to look for when going to an auction make sure you take someone who DOES otherwise you are going to get SCREWED

My Ride
    1987 RX7 T2

What I meant by "what limitations.. blah blah" was basically what can then do / not do? Can u take it for a test drive? Can u get it inspected?

There is a 87 RX7 Turbo 2 at regal im interested in. The body is in mint condition but havnt heard it run or seen it started.

So do u think its better to try to stick with "Bank Repos" instead? Are there any good deals with those?

thanks

My Ride
    cd7 coupe

Originally posted by Weapon_R
    Most of them have serious problems that cannot be easily recognized by bargain seeking auction buyers. They can sell it to you with major problems, and you are left with the foot up your ass. If a car was written off and has since been repaired, it is fair game.

Not sure what you mean by "what are the limitations on buying this car"
    They have nothing to protect you from buying a written off car. Sometimes they say it in the auction ring when the cars going through but they say it so fast you gotta listen carefully. As for problems, Cars under $4000 are sold on a "as is" "where is" basis. Cars over $4000 are disputable for major engine problems.

Originally posted by OWNED
    What I meant by "what limitations.. blah blah" was basically what can then do / not do? Can u take it for a test drive? Can u get it inspected?

There is a 87 RX7 Turbo 2 at regal im interested in. The body is in mint condition but havnt heard it run or seen it started.

So do u think its better to try to stick with "Bank Repos" instead? Are there any good deals with those?

thanks

You can't test the cars on a sale day. You can't even start them. If you go on a non-sale day they'll give you the keys, you can drive it up and down the auction block and that's about it. I can't remember their policy on inspections but you can't take it off the lot without paying for it. As for Bank Repo's, they seem to be the best bet, and the Bank's usually let them go for cheap (they just want the money from the loan bank). I remember a 90 Talon TSi going there for $850. Good lucky oh ya you have to pay a buyers fee and GST on your purchase. Happy Bidding!

Last edited by 3G; 01-07-2004 at 08:07 PM.

My Ride
    987 - G35xS - Skyline - RX350

yeah they can sell u if its stolen, written off, has problems
    you're usually taking a big risk.. its not like they let u open up the hood or anything

CT

Originally posted by carguy
    you're usually taking a big risk.. its not like they let u open up the hood or anything
    actually you are allowed to inspect at least tahtmuch howevee i dont know so far as being able to drive it, on non-auction days you are allowed to sttart them and stuff!

My Ride
    V167

Originally posted by carguy
    ?????? you can inspect the car as much as you want pretty much...even on sale day. Doors are open, everything is open, get underneath it if you really want...

My Ride
    cd7 coupe

Originally posted by nismodrifter

?????? you can inspect the car as much as you want pretty much...even on sale day. Doors are open, everything is open, get underneath it if you really want...
    yah true but you can't turn it on to see how it sounds or you cant see how it drives and shifts etc etc on auction days.

My Ride
    '08 Mitsubishi Lancer, '97 GMC Jimmy

Some places will let you start it, but not drive it( i got in BIG TROUBLE for tht at Regal once).....and you can get some type of insurance, where if the car fails an inspection you can return it, but it has to be THE SAME DAY you bought it, plus you be out the inspection money/time etc.......just be carefull.
    "Car Manufacturers give us a well engineered basic car but leave it's real development to us."

My Ride
    1987 RX7 T2

ok.... I think im gonna stay away from auctions then

My Ride
    cd7 coupe

Originally posted by James
    Some places will let you start it, but not drive it( i got in BIG TROUBLE for tht at Regal once).....and you can get some type of insurance, where if the car fails an inspection you can return it, but it has to be THE SAME DAY you bought it, plus you be out the inspection money/time etc.......just be carefull.
    regal yelled at me for starting the car at Graham u can move it up and back. At Michener they never said shit to me

My Ride
    1989 MA70, 2006 UZN215

I drove a car back and forth at regal and they did not say anything....

My Ride
    cd7 coupe

Originally posted by CelicaST-162
    I drove a car back and forth at regal and they did not say anything....
    Was this recently? on a sale day? They've gotten real anal about this these days cause this one crashed a car into another and he left.

My Ride
    1989 MA70, 2006 UZN215

Just last week, ON sale day

My Ride
    Mercedes 190's

I'm guessing this thread is kinda done now but......at rgal, they will tell you if the car has been written off.....or out of province. They will also say where the car was last registered. They will give you the keys on auction day as long as you come before 10am on auction day(for saterday auctions) and you can start up the car but are not supposed to drive it. There are no restrictions for checking out the car at regal under the hood and otherwise. If the car is dead they will give you a booster. Another thing to check if you are planning on purchasing a car at regal is to ask if the car has been through any previous auctions and if so, how many and what was the high bid. Can find out the reserve on the car also but reserves at regal are not at all set in stone as OWNED found out.......

So I am looking to go to these auctions, but I dont know where they are.

Maybe some of you guys can give me some addresses and phone numbers!

Much appreciated.

-Adam

My Ride
    V167

most of the auction places have websites...they have all the info you need including lists of upcoming sales and how much cars sold in the previous sales, here's some links for you to checkout (all of them have addresses/ph#'s so you know where to go...)

http://www.grahamauctions.com/

http://www.michenerallen.com/

http://www.repo-depo.com/ <---cars on this site usually end up at regal or michenerallen....so you can check out whats possibly going to be up for auction BEFORE the auction places even have the car on their lots (you don't know exactly where they are going to but you can see whats coming up...)

www.regalauctions.com <---place where most people go.....