Quantcast
HELP! Kitchens Hot Water Off - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HELP! Kitchens Hot Water Off

My Ride
    Subaru Impreza 2.5RS

Default HELP! Kitechens Hot Water Off

Hey this morning my kitchens hot water in the dish washer and the sink just didnt turn on.
    Took apart the faucet and checked everything out and the hot waters just not coming out of the line.

The hot water was working last night fine.
    All the hot water in the house are working fine also, its just the kitchens hot water which isnt working.

The basement is developed so following the piping is next to impossible.

Any one have any idea what to do??

Pilot light on your hot water heater may be out.

Originally posted by spike98
    Pilot light on your hot water heater may be out.
    Did you read the OP's post? To the OP, I'd suggest looking for/checking a valve under the sink - possibly that could be the problem although one wouldn't think that a valve would just shut down on it's own. Suppose one should ask if there's any water coming out of that tap - if not and if the valve is okay, then you might possibly have a frozen line.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Subaru Impreza 2.5RS

The hot water heaters working.
    From reading online I think the water line might be frozen.

Google said to turn on the hot water around the house to thaw out the hot water line which is frozen at the kitchen.

Anyone have any experience with thawing out frozen hot water lines??

Good luck and you better hope that the line hasn't cracked if it's frozen. Don't know how turning on other hot water taps would thaw out another frozen line - only getting the cold away from that line will unfreeze it.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Mr.Obvious asks, did you check the hot water valve under the sink? Someone could have been rummaging under there and accidentally closed it?

I can't see it being frozen unless you keep your house at near zero temperatures, or have a gaping hole in your wall under your sink.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

^^^ he's right, check your under cabinet shut off valve first, it can get turned sometimes by accident off

if hot water is working every where else, then something is blocking that line in particular

odd that it would just suddenly not be working overnight? other possibility is a kinked pex line, but seems unlikely
    "Drive your business, let not your business drive you" ~ Benjamin Franklin

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    AP1 / CRV

same thing with me except its all lines and faucets. hot water heater unit doesnt seem to be on, water from the manual outlet off the unit comes out cold and it has an automatic pilot light.... stupid condo

update: success! killed power to the unit for about 15 min and powered it back up.
    Last edited by v2kai; 01-09-2011 at 07:05 PM.

My Ride
    Subaru Impreza 2.5RS

Yeah the waters still on so it wasnt accidentally turned off.
    Running the hot water around the house didnt do anything. The kitchen faucet is the only one against a big window in the house.

Still no luck with getting the water to run...
    How do you know if you have a crack anywhere?

My Ride

Originally posted by 4lti

So when you turn the hot water tap, water still comes out, but it's cold? I'd say it's your tap cartridge, but then again your dishwasher also doesn't have hot water?

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

pictures of undersink plumbing pls...

My Ride
    Vmax

Try going under sink with hair dryer and heating up copper lines. Might even work if they are plastic?

This might work if you lines are copper and are frozen. Heat will travel far in copper.

If it works leave hot water on so it drips every few seconds and until it warms up outside. This might prevent it from happening again.

Insulate water lines next summer to prevent them from cracking.

OP said no water was coming out of the tap and that the valve is open - sounds like a frozen line. As for figuring out whether or not your pipes have cracked when frozen, this you'll most likely find out after they've been unfrozen and you start finding water in places it shouldn't be. I guess just hope they haven't cracked and do you know if your pipes are copper or something else?
    Will fuck off, again.

OP might have to remove some drywall in the cabinet under his sink to get at the suspect frozen pipe - that would truly suck.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Subaru Impreza 2.5RS

Cold water comes out of the hot water handle when turned on, but I only tried it with the hot water still turned on to the tap.

The dishwasher has no hot water either.
    I threw a space heater underneath the sink and let it sit with no avail. The pipes underneath the sink are plastic with copper corners. I think the frozen pipes must be along the room under the kitchen but its all under drywall. The entire basement is dry walled and developed so finding the pipes is next to impossible. The boiler room is on the opposite side of the house from the kitchen upstairs.

Right now we turned off the hot water and are just trying to wait it out..

odd to happen suddenly like that

okay, are both the hot & cold at the faucet not working?

these lines run close together, so if one was frozen so should the other

you already stated that the dishwasher isn't getting water, which tells you that the problem is potentially 'before' that point the washer line taps into the sink line

it's not outside the realm of possibilty there is frozen block in the line, but typically this would have been a problem previous to this, as we have had colder weather prior

if you have copper, then a frozen line would show split real quik, i have seem pex lines absort being frozen without spliting open, but they will/do burst as well when ice expands within

where your kitchen supply runs typically, is down through the floor and then turns to run along the joists
    in some homes this pocket beneath the floor beside the joist+foundation is not necessarily insulated

you say your basement is finished, but if is suspended ceiling, then you could still check this area
    when the basement was finished the walls should have been done right, and the insulation+vapor-b run in between the pipes and foundation, and not with the pipes on the 'cold side' of that barrier

of course depending on who did the work the only way to be sure is to visually check it

Running the hot water around the house didnt do anything. The kitchen faucet is the only one against a big window in the house.

Still no luck with getting the water to run...

^^ was typing reply while you posted this

okay, so you have pex line (they use copper bows) and the cold is still working, but not the hot

sounds like you should call someone in to check it out at this point

Cold water comes out of the hot water handle when turned on, but I only tried it with the hot water still turned on to the tap.

The dishwasher has no hot water either.
    I threw a space heater underneath the sink and let it sit with no avail. The pipes underneath the sink are plastic with copper corners. I think the frozen pipes must be along the room under the kitchen but its all under drywall. The entire basement is dry walled and developed so finding the pipes is next to impossible. The boiler room is on the opposite side of the house from the kitchen upstairs.

Right now we turned off the hot water and are just trying to wait it out..
    Last edited by garnet; 01-10-2011 at 03:27 AM.

My Ride

Ok, first things first. Sorry if I sounds obvious about a few of these items, but not everyone knows plumbing. Pics would be helpful as asked for earlier.

- Look under your sink, there should be your two lines going to the faucet, and there might be a 3rd line coming off one of those, for the dishwasher. Check to make sure that line is coming off the hot water.

- Try the dishwasher again, but let it run for a few minutes, hot water doesn't usually reach it instantaneously. Takes 5-30 seconds.

- Are you in a condo, or house? I ask because if it's a condo, there's a strange chance someone could have plumbed your faucet into your neighbors system (not likely, but possible)

As said, if one lines was frozen, the other would be as well. I seriously doubt any of your lines are frozen if you have your home at a normal temp.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    oooo

- your sink is under a window so I'm assuming it's against an outside wall.

- If this is the case I will put $$$ on it that your line is frozen. It is pex so it should expand enought that when it thaws out it will be okay.

I've had this happen to me before in my old place. I ended up taking a keyhole saw and cutting out a hole in the back of the cabinet to allow heat to get in there where the lines are. Then I left the cabinet under the sink open and put a heater in there to help thaw out the lines.

Did you just finish your basement this summer? Chances are that something pushed the water lines against the outside wall or they slipped beside the insulation -- this is why they should never be run in outside walls.
    2017 VW Jetta 1.4T (winter car)
    2010 F-350 Nortruck Tool Shed
    2007 BMW 5 (Wifey's)
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T 6spd Stage III w/ Meth
    1985 F-250 6.9L IDI w/ATS turbo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast